Rangefinder Calibration

Paul J

For the 3rd time in 2 years my M9 rangefinder has slipped out of calibration. It was last sent to Solms only 6 months ago.

Is the M-240 rangefinder any better for holding calibration?

Yes it is. However, it is unusual for a rangefinder to go out of calibration spontaneously. Is your camera subject to strong shocks or vibrations?

• Like 1

Yes it is. However, it is unusual for a rangefinder to go out of calibration spontaneously. Is your camera subject to strong shocks or vibrations?

I'm very conscious and careful of the rangefinder, even to the point of hand carrying my roller bag so it isn't even subject to pavement bumps. The only thing I can think of is it happening in the back of the car on the way to jobs, but it's very well cushioned with foam. That would royally suck if that is all it took as it's practically unavoidable.

Frustrated much.

Edited by Paul J

Mine is spot on but kept this link just in case. The roller cam adjustment seems to be simple enough and might save you some time - if you are comfortable doing it yourself of course.

Thanks for the link, very useful. It's still under warranty from the last repair though so will just send it off at this stage, I think.

Jaap, I have mixed feelings about your comment. On one hand I'm glad to hear that rangefinders rarely go out of alignment. On the other, I'm also frustrated because mines seem to do so quite often. And as Paul, I'm very careful with my camera. I've had this problem with the M9 and the MM. Not sure what my cases can be attributed to...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Is the M-240 rangefinder any better for holding calibration?

Yes...... anecdotally at least ....... and .....

There is a blob of resistant black gloop on the near adjustment screw in the camera to stop it shifting. This is new. Needs solvent to get the screw to shift at all (and before on the M9 it was pretty tight anyway). I am sure this helps.

• Like 1

I'm very conscious and careful of the rangefinder, even to the point of hand carrying my roller bag so it isn't even subject to pavement bumps. The only thing I can think of is it happening in the back of the car on the way to jobs, but it's very well cushioned with foam. That would royally suck if that is all it took as it's practically unavoidable.

Frustrated much.

My question stems from the knowledge that many of us have been abusing these rangefinders for decades without any problems, thus I was looking for a reason

Comparing to my own experiences: They never go off, unless something unsual happens. And I am far less careful than you are. The only times any of my rangefinders had to be adjusted was a couple of times after long fights in less-than well damped light aircraft, sixseaters and such, and after a substantial drop say from 1 meter on the floor.

Having said that, my 240 alredy survived those circumstances a number of times without

the rangefinder going out of adjustment by the slightest amount, and I feel certain an M9 (or M6 for that matter) would have required RF service as a result of this abuse.

Come to think of it, there have been some reports of cameras being affected by the (strong?) high-frequency vibrations in the overhead lockers in some aircraft. FWIIW.

Edited by jaapv
  • Like 2

There is a blob of resistant black gloop on the near adjustment screw in the camera to stop it shifting. This is new. Needs solvent to get the screw to shift at all (and before on the M9 it was pretty tight anyway). I am sure this helps.

And the vertical adjustment is by setscrew instead of glued fork.

I have flown and/or driven uncountable miles with my Leicas over the past 45 years and not once has a rangefinder gone out of adjustment. The only times I've had to adjust any is when I bought them...usually used, but in the case of the M9, new. And the latter was the only one I ever needed to do more than the infinity adjustment. (After doing so I put a drop of clear nail polish on the screw to secure it). I have never dropped one, but I think that would tend to affect the vertical misalignment more than the others.

• Like 4

Thanks Jaap, yes I understood that was what you meant. When flying I take it as hand luggage and have not had any rough trips. It's never been dropped and I carefully carry it. I have no ideas, unless something is wrong with the focus assembly or locking thread etc etc because it doesn't ever receive knocks like that. I would have thought they would have discovered if something were wrong during the last two visits to Solms though.

:confused:

Thanks. I suspect that gob of gloop is making a big difference. I don't know why they didn't add it to mine after the last visit 6 months ago.

In that case it is not simply user-soluble (unless you go to great lengths) When sending the camera in, I would advise having an in-depth telephone conversation with Leica about the repetitiveness.

One of the other reason for the RF to go out of whack is careless changing of lenses. You should be careful not to bump the roller when you mount a lens on the body. I have used rangefinders for just 4 years, Leica M6, M9 and M240 and never had any problem.

• Like 1

For fear if sounding like a record stuck in a groove ...... RF adjustment is not difficult once you grasp the principles and know what to do ........ once you have done it, it should take no more than half an hour and you can then be certain it is how YOU want it ..... and ok for YOUR lenses....

I would no more send my M9 in for RF calibration than I would for Sensor Cleaning .... :rolleyes:

...... and before there are the usual moans about 'voiding the warranty' ..... unless you are completely ham-fisted and mangle the screw, Leica will never know you have attemped it .....

All my lenses seem to go beyond infinity. What I mean by this, is that everything should be in focus at infinity (at distant objects), but they all go that little bit further and the focus then becomes blurred. Not in the image, just the viewfinder. Will the discussed adjustment, solve this problem?

One of the other reason for the RF to go out of whack is careless changing of lenses. You should be careful not to bump the roller when you mount a lens on the body. I have used rangefinders for just 4 years, Leica M6, M9 and M240 and never had any problem.

how do you avoid this, or alternatively, what is the best way to change lenses ?

I heard that moving lenses to infinity before mounting or unmounting helps ?