M240 Settings Resetting to default by themselfs

jto555

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I last used my camera two days ago and when I wend to use it today it had reset all the settings to default! And before anyone asks the battery was at 95% charge plus the camera has had charged batterys in it for the past few months. So the internal battery should be charged.

Why the camera lost the user settings is not the issue, but the fact that the camera defauls to JPEG only and Auto ISO is such a pain. I had been using the camera my holidays for the last two weeks without issue (except one, but that is for another moan :rolleyes:) and the first job I had when I got back, I ended up shoting the first few shots in JPEG only.

So could the beta testers who seem to have Leica's ear please, please, ask Leica to change the default settings to be RAW and not JPEG only.

PLEASE....

• Like 1

On this forum we have been asking Leica ever since the M8 to change the default settings from what they fondly believe to be their customers' preference to more daily-use oriented settings. So far to no avail.

• Like 1

I would think it would be more satisfactory in the long run for Leica to find and correct whatever glitch is causing the M240 to reset itself to defaults, than to change the defaults to please the majority of vocal users on an internet forum whose preferences may or may not reflect those of the majority of buyers.

I can think of no reason why the camera would SPONTANEOUSLY reset to the daft defaults.

If it has happened only once and is not a habitual problem I suspect it was inadvertent user error before you switched it off ......... I have unwittingly done this before too and did not realise it until later. :rolleyes:

If it is happening regularly then you must have a camera problem ....... something causing the start-up sequence to fail and drop you into a default setting..... and that ought to be hardware rather than firmware

As Jaap says ..... this 'user setting' is useless and should be configurable like the other 4 available....

Edited by thighslapper

I last used my camera two days ago and when I wend to use it today it had reset all the settings to default!

Have you updated your firmware ?

After the upgrade I shot a few frames in JPG, and realized all my settings were gone. Knowing how Leica firmwares are engineered, I should have known better... but there was no mention of this issue in the update instructions.

I would think it would be more satisfactory in the long run for Leica to find and correct whatever glitch is causing the M240 to reset itself to defaults, than to change the defaults to please the majority of vocal users on an internet forum whose preferences may or may not reflect those of the majority of buyers.
Irrelevant. Default should be user-configurable so geeks can have their day as well as Soccer Moms.

Have you updated your firmware ?

After the upgrade I shot a few frames in JPG, and realized all my settings were gone. Knowing how Leica firmwares are engineered, I should have known better... but there was no mention of this issue in the update instructions.

Yes the firmware was updated before I went on holidays. That did reset the camera settings to the default so I reset up the camera to the way I want it. All was fine while I was on holidays until the first shoot after the holidays.

I can think of no reason why the camera would SPONTANEOUSLY reset to the daft defaults.

If it has happened only once and is not a habitual problem I suspect it was inadvertent user error before you switched it off ......... I have unwittingly done this before too and did not realise it until later. :rolleyes:

If it is happening regularly then you must have a camera problem ....... something causing the start-up sequence to fail and drop you into a default setting..... and that ought to be hardware rather than firmware

As Jaap says ..... this 'user setting' is useless and should be configurable like the other 4 available....

No there was no error in switching off the camera - the little switch was turned to 'Off'. :rolleyes: And I was not using the menu plus there was no photograph been written to the card.

This has shaken my confidence in the camera. It could leave me stuck if I do a shoot and am left with Jpegs which I cannot colour correct.

Does anyone know if the Leica S defaults to Jpeg only or Raw? If it is Raw then this might show where Leica sees the M.

You may have reset the camera inadvertently or forgotten to press the set button after choosing your last settings perhaps.

Anyway, it is advised to save your profiles on your cards if you didn't do it already and to save them again after card formatting for sake of precaution.

Irrelevant. Default should be user-configurable so geeks can have their day as well as Soccer Moms.

How exactly then do "user-configurable defaults" differ from "user-configurable custom settings"? To me it makes sense that if there are going to be "factory defaults" they should be the one's Soccer Moms would be best-off with...for no other reason than those people are most likely to be bewildered by settings in general. Unless Leica wants to contract with a 24-hr customer support call center in India :D

default is.... defualt... by default

noun

noun: default; plural noun: defaults

dɪˈfɔːlt,ˈdiːf

1. 2.
    a preselected option adopted by a computer program or other mechanism when no alternative is specified by the user or programmer.
    "the default is fifty lines"

How exactly then do "user-configurable defaults" differ from "user-configurable custom settings"? To me it makes sense that if there are going to be "factory defaults" they should be the one's Soccer Moms would be best-off with...for no other reason than those people are most likely to be bewildered by settings in general. Unless Leica wants to contract with a 24-hr customer support call center in India :D

Whatever. The point is that it is very annoying that it is possibly to revert to an undesired factory-defined user setting inadvertently.

If that has to be regarded as a factory default it should be a separate action called Set factory default, best with a query - reset? Which the user has to confirm.

• Like 4

And what should the user-configurable defaults be defaulted too? ;)

They should be defaulted to a new User Profile that for the sake of clarity should no longer be called 'Default'.

If the user's favourite settings aren't saved as a Profile and regularly reapplied, such as checked when the camera is switched on, or going from tripod settings back to appropriate hand held settings, there are any number of occasions where local changes are forgotten about when first picking up the camera.

With the M240 the Default settings are the new Snapshot Mode from the M9, they can't be altered, written over, or customised in any way. So the only safe way to keep your preferred settings is to save them as a User Profile. What I haven't heard yet from the OP is if the settings defaulted to Default (yes we are all doing it now) when he had his own User Profile set, or if indeed he has been using a User Profile to ensure he doesn't get returned to Default.

It was often difficult for M9 users to stop being in Snapshot mode until they set a User Profile. So as a totally wild guess perhaps the M240 has a simple countdown to reset itself to Default Profile if no other Profiles are present or settings have been changed for a period of time? Other than 'finger trouble', such as thinking the Default Profile can be altered, or accidentally choosing it, which the OP says can't be the case, it is probably something simple.

Steve

• Like 1

... So as a totally wild guess perhaps the M240 has a simple countdown to reset itself to Default Profile if no other Profiles are present or settings have been changed for a period of time? ?..

Not very likely, I think. At least, mine has never done such a thing and I scarcely change any settings.

You may have reset the camera inadvertently or forgotten to press the set button after choosing your last settings perhaps.

Anyway, it is advised to save your profiles on your cards if you didn't do it already and to save them again after card formatting for sake of precaution.

Thanks, I have the profile saved on the camera and the camera was on the table when I turned off the dial.

The camera resetting itself does not bother me, its the face that it defaults to Jpeg only and not Raw or Raw and Jpeg. I am no programer but I am guessing that it is one line of code that needs to be changed. That is the maddening part, it should be an easy fix.

Edited by jto555