What to use as a back-up to the M240?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would like to hear your thoughts on what camera to use as a back-up to the M240.

At present I have the M240 (my only digital camera) and one film M; I'm going on a photo journey in a little over a month and am planning on taking my film M and a small batch of film (20-25 rolls) as a backup to the M240.

My M240 is new (3 months) and I do not expect it to break or lock up. Still, I think it is not a good idea to fly halfway 'round the world with no backup camera as a safety net, just in case disaster were to strike the M240. As we all know, Mr. Murphy never sleeps.

Obviously the best solution would be to have a second M240 as a backup. Unfortunately, that is not doable at present. Even an X2 or a used M8 or M9 is not doable, due to the cost of this trip.

If the worst were to happen and I would have to go to the film M, the images would have a different look to them than those made with the M240; that is a given. My thinking is that images with a different fingerprint still beats the hell out of no images.

Any thoughts or insights regarding the above will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

I'm very happy with my Sony A7. With a simple adapter, all of my Leica glass is available to me. The results in many instances are indistinguishable from shots taken from my M 240.

It's a great back-up camera.

• Like 2

I use my M7 to backup my M240 and MM. I have used it as backup since the M8.

I tried having two M9's, to back up each other, but they both broke, and it took almost 6 months to have them back in working order (not Leica's fault). The M7 became my primary camera for that time...

I have read that the shutter release of the A7 is much more loud than that of the M240. Can anyone address that issue? I know that shutter noise is hard to quantify without the use of a decibel meter, but I'm wondering how much racket does the A7 make when compared to the M240?

• Like 1

Carlos, consider a good used X1. It performs almost as well as its successor and represents excellent value for money. Some travellers have been known to take just this one camera on trips and not found it wanting. As a back-up to your M240, it would be light, compact and a worthy performer.

I have read that the shutter release of the A7 is much more loud than that of the M240. Can anyone address that issue? I know that shutter noise is hard to quantify without the use of a decibel meter, but I'm wondering how much racket does the A7 make when compared to the M240?

It's a bit louder....but not terribly...

IMHO will not stop you from doing any serious street photography. Takes exceptional photos!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I recently went through this decisionmaking process. First I researched on the net, then finding the usual contradicting opinions, decided to try some options out for myself. Luckily I have friends who own these cameras. I tried A7 and A7R, a couple Fujis (forgot the model), and the Nex-7 and 6. I went with the Nex-6. I wasn't happy with the performance of my rangefinder lenses on either the A7, A7R or Nex-7. The Fujis and Nex-6 did much better, but the Nex-6 has a better EVF and a smaller footprint for carrying as an emergency travel backup. I also carry a Panny LX5 as a backup-backup...after all, a spare body doesn't backup stolen or damaged lenses.

• Like 1

IMHO if a second M240 is not possible and you want a digital backup, then I would go for the Panny equivalent of the Leica C if one exists. I suggest the Panny model as it must be much less than the C at $700. No EVF to buy and one can switch on or off the eye level EVF instead of using the hold it at arms length LCD. Takes RAW and jpeg and the images are very good, including hand held at night. It has a useful zoom lens. Sure its not FF, but I perceive it is a backup that you might find you will use more than you could imagine and with the advantage that other family members can adapt to it very easily.

With film on a long trip I would worry about the bulk of 25 rolls of film plus film camera and perhaps more importantly multiple X-ray exposures if you are taking it back home for good controlled processing by yourself or a lab you can trust. Heck, the C takes up less space than 5 rolls of 35mm film, let alone 25 plus a film camera. The weight is 196 grams with battery and SD card.

• Like 2

I am currently on a trip and as well as my M-E I brought along my M6 and some film, and a Panasonic LX5. My original intention was to use the M6 as a body with a different focal length on it, but I haven't needed to do that. Needless to say, the M-E has worked flawlessly and I have only used the M6 for a couple of shots.

Here is my take FWIW. I have wasted lots of money chasing the holy grail of a M240 backup. Nex7, Olympus EP, Sony A7r, and the current Leica T. After spending a lot of money and recouping only some, I could have had an M9 as a backup -- or simply kept the one I had.

I have found none of them satisfactory as a backup because they all operate in a way completely different than an M. In regard to the usability of M lenses with adapters the T IMHO is the best of the lot, but it operates very differently from an M. The Sony A7r was full frame but a loud clacking box that was very capable with the Zeiss lenses and hit or miss with M lenses. The others were APS or MFT sensors and very capable cameras in their own right. Because nothing will work like an M, having a second camera becomes a matter of personal taste and tolerance for learning all the buttons, etc. I have settled down with the Leica T because I happen to like the interface and the results can be very good, but I do not consider it a substitute for my M but rather a supplement with AF and built in flash. If you are going to end up with a less than full size sensor, my current view is to get a Sony RX100 mkiii. The image quality is very good and it can be put in most pockets.

• Like 3

I’m very happy with the Fuji x100 as back up for my M9. It also – in this Case - give me an opportunity to higher ISO when needed. But it is of course limited to the fix focal length 35 mm equivalent.

I use for backup purposes a Sony RX 10. That is quite a different camera, but very useful in a lot of situations (esp. when change of lenses is not adviseable) or when a focal length up to 200 mm is required. And it is not too big, like my 5 D III system for backup purposes. Of course it cannot replace a M 240 fully, but in many cases this camera does a very good job. Other possibility is a D-LUX 6 or the Pana version LX 7, which I own too and which is very small. But for your purpose I would prefer clearly the RX 10.

• Like 1

The main thing to note about backup cameras is the amount of dust they gather, so factor that in when calculating how much money you want to spend. But just as we all need a backup car, backup refrigerator, backup lawn mower, a backup house, and a backup wife, you can avoid this with cameras by getting a different camera, a camera that isn't a backup but fits a different niche so is likely to be used more. A pocket P&S seems like a perfect alternative, and the Sony RX100 would fit the bill.

Steve

• Like 1

As a back up the sonly real choice would be a 2nd M240 but if this is not possible maybe an M9 would be the way to go. Personally I I now have the M and 2 Sony A7's as I don't regard my 2nd camera as a back-up as I tend to use 2 cameras at the same time depending on what I am doing. The A7 is an excellent camera but doesn't really perform well with most leica wide lenses apart from the WATE, and even at 50mm it is not perfect (I use it with it's native lenses and longer leica lenses). If you can handle the crop factor and want something relatively cheap the fuji XE2 (used to have one) is very good and the fuji to M adaptor is excellent as you can set it up for each lens to correct for edge colour issue and vignetting. The fuji XT1 is a truly excellent camera but unless you were going to invest in the fuji lens system could be a bit OTT