Using Non-leica lenses on yhr M240

I've not really used the 15mm much on the M. Finding the right lens profile is hit and miss. Still get lots of Italian flag going on. It's better than the M9 but it's still there.

Here's a shot with the 15mm on the M. Notice the darker colour at the top. Not too noticeable in this scene but it's there.

10714115473_7266c1aee5_b.jpg

Royal Festival Hall by Dan Chippendale, on Flickr

On the M8 I had the CV 15 coded as a WATE and selected 16mm in the menu, but with the the M9, after trying several codes in the menu, I found the one for the PRE-asph 21mm Elmarit seemed to work much better and so I re-coded the flange. On the M240 that seems to do a remarkably good job of cleaning it up even with the M240's jpegs.

I use the 12mm Voigtländer. It seems to work better than the 15mm did on the M9 before. I do not set any lens profile, when using it. I just correct everything afterwards in LR with some easy slider moves. Works really good for me.

When using the CV 12 I manually code it as the 21/f2.8 11134, works pretty well. Any further corrections needed I use the 'flat field convertor' in Lr5

I use a number of Contax SLR lenses on the M240 with a Novoflex LEM/CONT adapter. It is coded as 110111, which brings up the R lens menu. There is usually an R lens near enough, for example for the 28-85 f3.3 Vario Sonnar, I select the 28-90/f2.8 Vario Elmarit.

I also use a couple of Zeiss ZM lenses. I code the 25/f.28 as an Elmarit-M 24/2.8 and my 50/2 Planar as a 50/2 Summicron Series V. These codes seem to work well on the M240 although the 25/f2.8 suffered a bit of Italian flag until the xxxx.12 firmware update, when it was mostly eliminated and now with xxxx.15 FW, has gone completely.

Wilson

When using the CV 12 I manually code it as the 21/f2.8 11134, works pretty well. Any further corrections needed I use the 'flat field convertor' in Lr5

Interesting. Maybe I give it a try as 21/2.8. I use it mainly for landscape and the only correction I really need are the violett sliders. Everything else is okay, I think.

I use a number of Contax SLR lenses on the M240 with a Novoflex LEM/CONT adapter. It is coded as 110111, which brings up the R lens menu. There is usually an R lens near enough, for example for the 28-85 f3.3 Vario Sonnar, I select the 28-90/f2.8 Vario Elmarit.

I also use a couple of Zeiss ZM lenses. I code the 25/f.28 as an Elmarit-M 24/2.8 and my 50/2 Planar as a 50/2 Summicron Series V. These codes seem to work well on the M240 although the 25/f2.8 suffered a bit of Italian flag until the xxxx.12 firmware update, when it was mostly eliminated and now with xxxx.15 FW, has gone completely.

Wilson

I tried all the wide angle profiles on my ZM 25/2.8 and found out the best profile is 11809. The 24/2.8 leaves quite a lot of purple on the right side.

I am very happy with the Voightlander 15 mm coded as an Elmarit 21 mm. I still get the so called italian flag effect that I correct using DNG Flat Field Correction in Lightroom.

Sample photo

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Here are a few shots I made using the 15mm Voigtlander lens. For lens setting I used the 16-18-21 Elmar setting and got good results...I like the little lens!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by PauloSm6
  • Like 4

Here are a few shots I made using the 15mm Voigtlander lens. For lens setting I used the 16-18-21 Elmar setting and got good results...I like the little lens!

Thanks for posting these 15mm images^. I have a 240 on the way and one lens I'm keen to use on it is my 15mm Heliar. Your examples look great. :)

The 16-18-21 WATE correction is not really right for the 15mm CV Heliar. The WATE is a retrofocal lens, with the exit pupil much further away from the lens than the prime focal 15mm CV. I would suggest that you try the 21/2.8 Elmarit instead (000001), which should correct more of the vignetting and italian flag than the WATE correction.

I have not tried the 15mm CV since the latest FW came out, as I don’t have it with me in France. With the previous FW you still got some red edges on the LHS and a bit of vignetting even with the 000001 coding. Strangely that coding provides almost perfect correction on the M9 but the differently shaped “gherkin” micro lenses on the M240 CMOS sensor, obviously behave slightly differently. Now that I have the perfectly corrected 18mm Super Elmar-M lens, I keep meaning to sell my 15mm CV, as I just don’t use it any more.

Wilson

@PauloSm6: Those are some really nice images! Do you use a shoe mount viewfinder or do you guesstimate and reshoot if you need to?