M not holding set shutter speed in manual

Advertisement (gone after registration)

While out today shooting with my M I discovered that when setting a shutter speed and aperture manually the camera will arbitrarily change it. For example I set shutter to 60, take the picture and in review mode the display tells me it was taken at 1/30! Looking at the dial, it's still set to 60. Plus the picture is unusable. This happens predominantly in LV.

Any ideas? Am used to the simpler monochrom. The M is relatively new to me. It has the firmware update. Lenses used today summicron 35 and tri-Elmar 16-18-21.

Thank you

I had the similar problem but only in 1/4000 speed. Whenever I set shutter speed to 1/4000 the camera will only take 1/3000. After it came back from the repair center the camera is fine now.

If it is in Auto-ISO, the only thing will (and should ) change is ISO, so your camera is faulty just like mine. A trip back to the manufacturer is necessary to correct the problem.

(unless is exposure bracketing as stated by the post above)

Edited by justj

While out today shooting with my M I discovered that when setting a shutter speed and aperture manually the camera will arbitrarily change it. For example I set shutter to 60, take the picture and in review mode the display tells me it was taken at 1/30! Looking at the dial, it's still set to 60. Plus the picture is unusable. This happens predominantly in LV.

A couple of firmware updates ago, this behavior was seen commonly, when the batteries were new. I thought this had been cured in present FW updates. Try waiting until your batteries have been recharged in camera 3-4 times, then this behaviour may disappear when your batteries mature to its official specifications.

A couple of firmware updates ago, this behavior was seen commonly, when the batteries were new. I thought this had been cured in present FW updates. Try waiting until your batteries have been recharged in camera 3-4 times, then this behaviour may disappear when your batteries mature to its official specifications.

Weird....

Is this really a thing? Battery age can over power the set exposure? That's just plain whacky. Gotta love Leica :-)

It was discussed about half a year ago, Li batteries have to be charged a couple of times for the ions to find their places in a matrix, not anything specific to Leica. Thus official battery specifications are only reached after some charging. In LV over- or underexposure was seen with say 1/30 dialed in, but the frame was dark an said 1/60 or worse. It cured itself when the batteries matured to official specifications. In the next FW update, it seems to have been addressed, as reports of this behavior died out.

So have patience it may cure itself in a short time.

For example I set shutter to 60, take the picture and in review mode the display tells me it was taken at 1/30! Looking at the dial, it's still set to 60. Plus the picture is unusable. This happens predominantly in LV.

It would be worth checking to see if you have exposure bracketing (not compensation) engaged because if it isn't set to 'Auto' you won't get three images shot in sequence which would be a giveaway, but it will be implemented each time you press the shutter button. So one picture will be under exposed, one over, and one correct. Especially so as you can now use Exposure Bracketing in Manual mode.

That may not be the problem though, because one stop difference in your exposures shouldn't make a picture unusable, so it may be something bigger.

Steve

Update: seems to have stopped doing it after recharging the battery and carefully checking all of the settings in the menus. I will continue to monitor it for a while . Thanks to all for your suggestions.

More on batteries: Before the first FW update it seemed as if the function of LV had been designed based on the specifications of mature batteries, and check-out as well.

Many users experienced a number of glitches when their batteries were fresh and not yet mature enough to have reached their official specifications. The glitches disappeared after 3-4 battery charging cycles.

This was addressed in the first FW update and there has been few if any reports since then.