M240 Viewfinder Issue

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm just a few weeks into owning a M240 and really having fun taking photos!

The detail, colour and richness it creates never fails to impress, primarily using 50mm Lux 1.4...... what a fantastic lens.

I have a minor issue when I look through the 'viewfinder ocular' from approx 6" away (when bring the camera up to my eye) I can see a black spec floating in the middle of the viewfinder window (see attached).

Note - When my eye is right up against the viewfinder I can not see this black spec (which is good and important) therefore does not hamper when composing an image.

I have cleaned external viewfinder glass but issue is still not resolved.

I presume the black spec is actually internal rather than external?

How can I remove this back spec, any help and advice will be very welcome?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Just a dust speck somewhere in the rather complex optical pathway of the viewfinder.

If you look in the big window in the front of the camera you will find a lot of older cameras will have dust specks ...... just as they are almost inevitable in lenses with use and age.

I doubt if Leica will volunteer to remove it, as it is causing no problems and would require a fair bit of camera dismantling to get to it.

If the camera goes back at any stage for RF adjustment etc. in the future and is still under warranty, ask nicely and they may get rid of it whilst it is there ......;)

I'm pretty impressed by your ability to pinpoint the moment in time that the dust worked it's way into the optical path...:rolleyes:

I also have a dust speck, however only noticed from the front.

I am afraid we have to except this, simply it's Leica's poor quality control once again.

Ken.

• Like 1

I'm pretty impressed by your ability to pinpoint the moment in time that the dust worked it's way into the optical path...:rolleyes:

Frankly I don't know what you're talking about.

Now I will explain it in plain ENGLISH.

A little particle of something is in my viewfinder, do you understand that.

For the most expensive 35mm camera out there, thats poor in my opinion.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I will explain in just as plain English: there is a piece of dust in your viewfinder. You have no idea at what point of time it wandered there, it probably happened after the camera left Solms, but nobody knows for sure. And you take the opportunity to have a snide bash at Leica QC.

Do you use a bulb blower? In that case you probably put it there yourself.

As for the camera price, for all you know it may be gold dust.

Edited by jaapv
  • Like 2

I will explain in just as plain English: there is a piece of dust in your viewfinder. You have no idea at what point of time it wandered there, it probably happened after the camera left Solms, but nobody knows for sure. And you take the opportunity to have a snide bash at Leica QC.

Do you use a bulb blower? In that case you probably put it there yourself.

As for the camera price, for all you know it may be gold dust.

well, my new M has oil spots on the sensor, and there are few dusts inside my new noctilux as well, but I dare not to complain because I know it's all my fault. Leica's QC is perfect.

well, my new M has oil spots on the sensor, and there are few dusts inside my new noctilux as well, but I dare not to complain because I know it's all my fault. Leica's QC is perfect.

Not so sure about perfect, but their customer service is great.

Right! So did my M. After about 200 frames I counted about 30 oil spots. Then, after spending 5 minutes cleaning the sensor, I counted zero spots.

I also have a dust speck, however only noticed from the front.

I am afraid we have to except this, simply it's Leica's poor quality control once again.

Ken.

Pardon ????

The Viewfinder mechanism is not a closed system like a pair of binoculars .....have you actually looked at the complexity of this part of the camera ?

I suggest you do before complaining about the odd speck of dust that makes no difference to the functioning of the camera.

I'm frankly amazed that there is so little in the majority of cameras.

Leica have welded a modern digital sensor and processor onto an old mechanical rangefinder camera to allow backwards compatibility with 70 years of lenses and functionality.

It is never going to be 100% dust free like other modern digitals :rolleyes:

Mark Norton took the M8 apart ...... http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m8-forum/21331-anatomy-leica-m8.html ...... the M240 is no doubt a bit more electronically streamlined ..... but this gives you some idea of just how complex things are inside .....

That little particle was in the viewfinder the moment I give it a little fondle on the day I picked it up.

That said particle is wedged inside and only visible from the front of the viewfinder and not through the viewfinder, So it's not a viewing problem, however I stand by Leica QC.

I cannot recal the SL having any dust in the viewfinder, however the R9 did have one or two on the focusing screen but it was quickly fixed with the blower.

My Canon 70D viewfinder is spotless.

Long live the SLR's.

The Leica M 240 is the most expensive camera body that I have ever bought, so I expect better from Leica.

I need to listen to my brain and not my heart.

Ken.

If you are so concerned about it contact Leica.

Don't just sit at home looking miserable and posting here about it.

Leica will generally look at/repair/exchange anything that customers are unhappy with......

Yes I'm sure leica would deal with it but is it really worth it to lose the camera for up-to a month while it is sent off to Germany to be cleaned. After all it is a spot of dust that is causing no issues when it comes to functionality. Personally I would live with it

Yes I'm sure leica would deal with it but is it really worth it to lose the camera for up-to a month while it is sent off to Germany to be cleaned. After all it is a spot of dust that is causing no issues when it comes to functionality. Personally I would live with it

Personally David you're right, it's not causing me any problems, I am certainly not going to send it back to Germany just for that.

Since owning it I have had two lock up's, firmware has been updated and so far it has been working

Beautifully, for me the Camera is a keeper, growing to love it all the time.

My point is I would like to see Leica take more notice of these little things, QC is so important for the best

35mm Digital Camera out there, so if ever my 240 needs servicing I will get Leica to clean it for me.

I was only responding to Drexyl, as I also had an issue with dust in my viewfinder, it certainly doesn't stop me from using it.

Jaap, I live in Melbourne Australia, No Mayfair down here and I don't want Camera clinic to service it.

if it needs servicing, I will send it to Germany.

Ken.

• Like 1