Understrength Gorilla?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The subject of the M240's Screen and the Gorilla glass's scratch resistance was covered here in the forum. No-one seemes to have reported problems. Have over the years extensively used a Canon 20D then 5D and 5D MkII without the screens suffering any scratches. When I bought my M9, having read about the screen being rather scratch-prone, I immediately fitted an Acmaxx protector. Three years later I was able to part-ex the M9 as mint against the M240.

After using the M240 for five months or so, I discovered recently to my dismay that mine has suffered unsightly scratches in two areas and I can only think they were caused by my spectacles when holding the camera in portrait and landscape positions. The same spectacles were worn when using the M9 with no ill-effect. Given all the assurances about Gorilla glass's scratch resistance this is very disappointing indeed. I wonder if my screen is under-spec in this respect. Would screen replacement be covered under warranty (or the UK passport)?

As this can be classed as damage, I'd see no reason why it shouldn't be covered by Passport. Contact your Leica dealer.

Unless of course they choose to regard the damage as "cosmetic damage", which I rather think is specifically excluded?

• Like 1

I have an MM with sapphire glass with no protection, but despite the claims about Gorilla Glass I have had a cut down iPhone screen protector on my M240 since new.

As it is still within the Passport try to have it replaced and see what happens, you have nothing to loose.

Steve

My M240 came with a screen protector on it and I'm leaving it there. When it needs replacing I'll fit something else to it. I only ever use the screen for menus and the occasional chimp, I have auto review "off". I had the sapphire screen on my M8U and although it didn't scratch, the coating did. My M9 has always had a protector on it. I wouldn't care about some scratches, however it really impacts resale value. If the Leica screens were as cheap to replace as Nikon and Canon it would be a different story perhaps.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This is exactly the reason I didn't listen to the folks who said that the M does not need a screen protector: and put one on as soon as I took the camera from the box. I actually think that the hard cover screens protect the screen from stabbing trauma as well as scratching: sacrificing themselves and spreading the impact force out to the edges of the LCD screen...

• Like 1

You don't lose anything, if you install a screen protector. They cost some €uro, but after I scratched my D3X screen badly some years ago, the first thing on my Leica was a screen protector ;) It is absolutely invisible and can be removed very easily..

This is exactly the reason I didn't listen to the folks who said that the M does not need a screen protector: and put one on as soon as I took the camera from the box. I actually think that the hard cover screens protect the screen from stabbing trauma as well as scratching: sacrificing themselves and spreading the impact force out to the edges of the LCD screen...

That was not me in any case. I have said severall times from the moment Leica started using it that Gorilla Glass can and will scratch.

I do not use a screen protector by choice, but not because I think the LCD cover is inviolable.

The M240 doesn't need a screen protector. You might want one if you don't want any scratches on it, but in that case you might want a half case as well, to prevent your base plate from scratching. What about the top plate? It can scratch too.

I tend to be a bit more careful with my M cameras but if it gets a scratch, so be it.

Anyways, I'll try to pay a bit more attention during the next football match on the telly. Wondering how many photographers with their far too expensive dslr and expensive tele lenses use screen protectors and crocodile leather halfcases. :eek:;)

• Like 1

see... with my Televsion- I couldn't really care less if there is a scratch on the top, the bottom, the sides.... or the back. Alls I cares abouts is there is no scratches on the screen... Do you see where I am going with this analogy?? Perhaps no? Another example: Same with my camera lenses I don't really care about marks on the body... but scratches on the elements bother me... etc. Nice attempt to act all photographically hard core and all but I am not buying it. Enjoy your 'real man' workhorse cameras screen all scratched to buggery... but don't assume I buy Luis Vuitton hand straps just because I use a screen protector... and I won't assume your photographs are any good just because your cameras are all scratched up... :)

Edited by jaques
  • Like 2

but don't assume I buy Luis Vuitton hand straps just because I use a screen protector... and I won't assume your photographs are any good just because your cameras are all scratched up... :)

I'll have no problem telling my photographs are sh!t no matter how my camera looks. :D

On a serious note, I'm only overly worried about the lightest scratch on the glass of my lenses, even if it doesn't immediately affect the picture quality.

I fail to understand how the Gorilla Glass on the M240 screen can scratch as a result of glasses frames touching it when making photographs, yet Gorilla Glass on a cell phone can stand up to this and not scratch:

Doesn't make sense... :confused:

Perhaps the Gorilla Glass on Keith's camera has a manufacturer defect?

Edited by Carlos Danger

This is the list of smart phones with Gorilla Glass. The iPhone 6 MAY have it. It may have some other such as

The Leica M240 has Gorilla Glass.

Dell Streak 5

Dell Venue

Dell Venue Pro

Blu life one

Fujitsu Arrows Es

Fujitsu Arrows Me

Fujitsu Arrows NX

Fujitsu Arrows V

Fujitsu Arrows X

Gionee Elife E7

Google Nexus 4

Google Nexus 5

HP Pre 3

HP Veer

HTC Amaze 4G

HTC Butterfly

HTC Butterfly S

HTC Titan

HTC 7 Trophy

HTC 7 Mozart

HTC 8X

HTC ChaCha

HTC Desire

HTC Desire U

HTC Desire HD

HTC Desire S

HTC One SV

HTC Desire Z

HTC Dream

HTC Incredible

HTC Incredible S

HTC Incredible 2

HTC EVO 4G

HTC EVO 4G LTE

HTC Inspire 4G

HTC Legend

HTC One S

HTC One X

HTC One X+

HTC One (2013)

HTC One Mini

HTC Sensation

HTC Thunderbolt

HTC Wildfire

Huawei Ascend G300

Huawei Ascend G301

Huawei Honor 3c

Huawei Mercury/Ice

Huawei Valiant(MetroPCS)

HTC Wildfire SMD

Jiayu G2+

Jiayu G3 (discontinued)

Jiayu G4

Jiayu G5

Jolla

Lenovo A660

Lenovo K860

Lenovo K900

Lenovo S750

Lenovo S820

LG Ally

LG Arena

LG Arena TV

LG Connect

LG Crystal

LG Optimus G

LG G2

LG G2 Mini

LG G3

LG Optimus G Pro

LG G Pro 2

LG Gx

LG G Pro Lite

LG Optimus 2X

LG Esteem

LG Mini

LG Maxx

LG Motion 4G

LG Chocolate

LG Viewty Smart

LG L7

LG X300

LG Optimus L3

LG Optimus L5

LG Optimus L9

LG Optimus Mach

LG Optimus Q

LG Optimus Z

LG Optimus 2X

LG Optimus 4X HD

LG Optimus 7

LG Optimus 3D

LG Optimus 3D max

LG Optimus Black

LG Shine Plus (LG C710h)

LG Spirit

LG Optimus G

LG Optimus G Pro

Micromax Pixel A90

Micromax Canvas 4

Micromax Canvas Knight 350

Motorola Photon 4G

Moto G

Moto E

Motorola Atrix 4G

Motorola Atrix 2

Motorola Atrix HD

Motorola Charm

Motorola Flipout

Motorola DEFY

Motorola DEFY MINI

Motorola DEFY+

Motorola Droid Bionic

Motorola Droid

Motorola Droid 2

Motorola Droid 3

Motorola Droid 4

Motorola Droid X

Motorola Droid RAZR

Motorola Milestone XT720

Moto G [3]

Moto X [4]

Moto E

Motorola Droid Razr HD

Motorola Droid RAZR M

Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX

Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX HD

Motorola Triumph

Newman N2

Nokia N8

Nokia N9

Nokia C6-01

Nokia C7

Nokia E6

Nokia E7

Nokia 700

Nokia 701

Nokia Asha 300

Nokia Asha 311

Nokia Asha 503

Nokia Lumia 610

Nokia Lumia 625

Nokia Lumia 710

Nokia Lumia 720

Nokia Lumia 800

Nokia Lumia 822

Nokia 808 PureView

Nokia Lumia 900

Nokia Lumia 920

Nokia Lumia 925

Nokia Lumia 1020

Nokia Lumia 1320

Nokia Lumia 1520

Nokia X7

Oppo Find 5

Oppo Find 7

Oppo Find 7a

Orange San Diego

Prestigio 4500 duo

Samsung ATIV S

Samsung Omnia W

Samsung Omnia 7

Samsung Omnia M

Samsung Preston

Samsung Wave S8500

Samsung Wave 2 S8530

Samsung Wave 3 S8600

Samsung Admire/Vitality

Samsung Behold II

Samsung Captivate i897

Samsung Droid Charge

Samsung Epic 4G

Samsung Fascinate

Samsung Focus 2

Samsung Galaxy Express

Samsung Galaxy Premier

Samsung Galaxy Grand

Samsung Galaxy Grand 2

Samsung Galaxy S

Samsung Galaxy S Plus

Samsung Galaxy S Advance

Samsung Galaxy S Duos

Samsung Galaxy S Duos 2

Samsung Galaxy S II

Samsung Galaxy S II Plus

Samsung Galaxy S III

Samsung Galaxy S III Mini

Samsung Galaxy S4

Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini

Samsung Galaxy S4 Active

Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom

Samsung Galaxy S5

Samsung Galaxy Note

Samsung Galaxy Note II

Samsung Galaxy Note III

Sony Xperia J

Sony Xperia SP

Micromax Canvas 4 A 210

TAG Heuer Racer and Link

T-Mobile myTouch 4G

Thl T100S

Umi X2

Walton

Wiko Stairway

Wiko Darkmoon

Wiko Darkside

Xiaomi Phone 3

Xiaomi Hongmi

Zopo C2 White Platinum

ZTE Warp

Huawei Esia

Edited by jdlaing

Yes. And? I have some iPhones with scratched Gorilla glass. I do not have one of a zillion other brand phones with scratched gorilla glas. That may be caused by the fact that I do not own any of those zillion phones....:rolleyes: