Anyone figure out why the 240 freezes up?

dant

I've had mine since September/October last year. I had a few freeze ups and then upgraded the firmware.

Since then it has been completely reliable without a single problem. That includes with and without EVF and in over 40°C temperatures.

• Like 1

what card are you using Roey?

16GB SanDisk Extreme 45 MB/s SDHC & 32GB SanDisk Extreme Pro 90 MB/s SDHC.

Bought them online at 'reputable' stores, so I would be surprised if they turned out to be fakes.

I've had freeze ups when shooting in series making the camera warm, using it in fairly warm places and when the sun shines not he camera.

Basically, my take on it is heat. Inside the camera, produced by the camera itself and the environment.

64 GB SanDisk 95MB/sec

• Like 1

My 240 froze up twice or thrice in 2500 shots. No big deal, but would like to know if there is anything that causes the freeze up. Anyone figure it out yet?

It's a computer ........ go figure .....

..... ever used one that never hung, went on a go slow or failed to function as promised .... and had to be re-booted ..... ? :rolleyes:

• Like 3

It's a computer ........ go figure .....

..... ever used one that never hung, went on a go slow or failed to function as promised .... and had to be re-booted ..... ? :rolleyes:

Yes! But not your consumer type, and in all cases they were in air-conditioning.

I suspect the 240 has a fail-over to protect itself in severe heat. When it hangs for that reason, it's the 240's way of telling you to seek shelter. :)

• Like 1

Not convinced if it is head related.

Was in the UAE desert for 16 days and the only two times the M freezes are all indoors in air-conditioned environment. It just freezes for no apparent reason. Never had such issue with other camera such as EM5, RX1, NEX7 and A7R.

But like the others said, if you try to do things too quickly it tend to crash more often.

How can you make such a statement when you have many times documented on this site your have had freeze ups (lock ups) of your M's?

I didn’t. I only had the high-temperature-EVF lockup every M will exhibit because of the overheating safety cutout. See Thorsten’s post. The type of random lockup this thread is about has never occurred to me. It helps to actually read posts.

Edited by jaapv

It's happened to me a bunch of times. My camera is on the .11 firmware.

My feeling right now is it's somewhat similar to the M9, in that the system doesn't like to be pushed too hard, especially through multitasking. With the M9, the consequence for me, of filling the buffer and simultaneously reviewing images, was a much higher probability of banding. With the M240 it seems to occasionally lock up the camera until the buffer has cleared.

For example, I did a job recently which involved some dignitaries and group photos. To ensure I'd get at least an image or two in which no one has closed their eyes, I shot the M240 with continuous advance and fired off a sequence of 5-6 shots. I immediately reviewed an image to ensure everything was basically OK before releasing the group. But I wanted to get a few more shots, just in case. However, the camera wouldn't shoot... so I just released the group and after the write light stopped, double checked again to make sure the images were still there, which they were. During other parts of that job, which was a press conference and facility tour, the camera locked up at least a couple more times. I certainly remember this because there were specific moments I wanted to capture, but the shutter would not fire until the write light went out. It was as if I filled the buffer and was locked out of the camera. But in at least a couple instances it was certainly after only a few frames, rather than the 7 needed to hit the buffer limit for the configuration used that day.

The only difference this time compared to previous events was that I shot in DNG+Jpeg Basic due to the need for immediately filing images and the desire to have easy previews on hand for editing without having to render the DNGs first. I tested this a day prior to the event simply to know how much the buffer would be reduced compared to DNGs only (about 7 frames vs. 12-13), but of course in hindsight the testing wasn't rigorous enough and therefore didn't indicate there would be a lock-up problem.

Not to imply it hasn't happened to me while shooting DNG only - it has. Just I don't recall it being as prevalent as this last time, during which it happened at least three times. IIRC, this was without use of the EVF.

The card used was a Panasonic Gold 32GB SDHC UHS-1 90MB/s read, 45MB/s write. It's not the pro version, which I could no longer get/find, back when I was trying to eliminate banding with the M9. But I also use Transcend 16 & 32GB SDHC Class 10 in the M240 and can't rule out freezes with these.

As with the M9, I think I'm going to impose a no-chimp policy with the M240 while it's still writing to the card. At least there isn't any obvious banding cropping up, like with the M9. But so far I've been keeping to ISO 1000 and lower to maintain the deeper buffer and higher fps rate.

It's somewhat disappointing that with the newer and different processor/software in the M240 vs. M9/M8, that Leica still doesn't appear to have been able to create a super-stable electronics system like many of the Japanese manufacturers do. I shoot a Canon 1DX alongside the M240 at these kinds of events and never, ever have such problems with it.

That said, I still like the camera and feel there is a benefit to it over the M9, for my style of shooting, yet there is clearly still a lot of room for improvement on the electronics side.

Mine has frozen twice since getting it in January. Both times in normal environmental conditions for the UK, while taking a series of shots in S mode - but not exceptionally quickly. I had to get the battery out. I use Sandisk Extreme Pro 32 card. I'm an amateur, so I can live live with it, but it's a fault and it shouldn't happen, full stop.

Edit: I was shooting in DNG only, I don't have the EVF, and I wasn't using LV. And I have the .11 f/w.

Edited by LocalHero1953

Thank you for this clear report. I used the same card in the beginning because it was a good one on the M9. However, in my case I found that it slowed down the M240. Using a Lexar Pro 16 Gb 600x made the camera much faster. Worth trying, although others have reported the switch did not make much difference for them.

• Like 2