Get 2nd M 240, or...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Got a wedding to shoot with my M240. It froze up 2 X in 2 days. I have a M9 for a backup, and the wedding is to be shot all available light per request of the bride. The M240 can handle it, but the M9???

Should I spring for a new M240 while my M240 is sent off for repair, or trust that the freezups can be controled by battery removals, (and won't occur during a key shot)?

I encountered couple times, mainly due to high iso like above2000, my experience is when iso gets higher the M gets slower, and SD card compatibility, I personal found that Toshiba SD card not working as good as Sandisk. it is just my personal opinion.

for wedding, if you want the luxury of using Leica then be prepare something might happen, it just the possibility.

• Like 1

If I were in your shoes, I would trade in the M9 for a second M240. I'd be certain that the new M240 was 100% functional before the wedding. I'd take the dysfunctional M240 to the wedding shoot as a back-up to the new M240.

I would send the dysfunctional M240 off for warranty service after the wedding shoot is complete, and then I'd have two M240 bides when it returns from service.

That is what I'd do; YMMV.

If you find a friendly dealer he might trade the M9 in towards a second M240, but still let you keep it temporarily as a backup loaner whilst the original M240 is off under guaranty.

• Like 1

From my experience shooting weddings, available light simply doesn't cut it. I always used to push the fact I had fast lenses and preferred to work with available light, but I now sell the benefits of carefully applied flash when the light gets low.

• Like 3

I had lockup issues at the start and as suggested by some forumites the problem will go away after a few recharges. I would suggest to keep the M9 alongside the M as it draws differently and they compliment each other quite well. Not sure how dark your venue will be but if you need a low light camera you should consider hiring a DSLR as a backup for this particular shoot.

I am really surprised that you question the M9's ability to shoot effectively in available light. Brett for sure used his M9 for weddings and I also believe his M8 before that. Just do a trial run beforehand in the venue or similar.

• Like 1

shotcapture

Admirable venture. Have you done this before with a Leica?

Sending your camera in for lockups is a waste of time I found since there is no current fix for it. I was hoping by buying an M after the latest .12 FW update (not required on earlier versions) would help, but it does not. Cold weather, warm and hot weather, it still locks up. Not using the EVF sometimes extends the # of shots between lockups, but that is no assurance either.

I use 2 M240's so I have 2 different FL immediately available.

There does not seem to be a pattern of when M 240s in general lock up.

Different forum members seem to have different theories on when their camera locked up, but I don't see any consistency in how it happens. This is discouraging for I worry that a new body will do the same. ls there any foolproof cure? It does not seem that there is.

Yes I've shot a wedding with an M9. it was quite well lit and an easy shoot. This wedding will be under darker circumstances, but with even lighting that the M 240 could handle well. The bride really does not want flash at all.and will be asking guests not to use flash also.

There is no rhyme or reason to this lockup story. I had them only in very high ambient temperature, with the EVF active and autoshutoff enabled. Otherwise never. Other users report differently.

I supect, but cannot prove that the "other" .lockups (from my perspective) must be SD card related, but have not yet been able to discern a pattern

For the record, I use Lexar Professional 16 GB 600x cards.

Some of the suggestions have been

"recharge the batteries multiple times". I 've done that.

"Don't use the EVF". I do not want to give it up because I find it very valuable for low light shots with my 0.95 and I use it a lot for that and for my 21mm.

"An SD formatter "helps a lot". I have not tried it yet, but "helps a lot" does not give me confidence.

"Don't use high ISO", but then I give up my M240 advantage.

There is no rhyme or reason to this lockup story. I had them only in very high ambient temperature, with the EVF active and autoshutoff enabled. Otherwise never. Other users report differently.

I supect, but cannot prove that the "other" .lockups (from my perspective) must be SD card related, but have not yet been able to discern a pattern

For the record, I use Lexar Professional 16 GB 600x cards.

Is there anyone using Lexar Pro 16 GB 600x cards that HAS had a lockup?

As much as I love Leica...if it was me, and I was being paid to capture very important moments... I dunno, I think I would rent a D4 and a couple fast primes or something like an EM-1. Even a 5Dmk3 is going to guarantee you capture that kiss, or whatever important moment. The Leica is going to give you some classy points. But those points would quickly vanish when you miss the bouquet toss and the bride is glaring at you while you are pulling out your battery. Its a tough call, but you already know about these lock-ups and that isn't very pro.

• Like 2