ahklein

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well I broke down and bought my first digital Leica outfit:

M (240) Chrome

35 2.0 Chrome

EVF-2

Billingham Combination M bag

Arte di Mano strap/half case

While my battery is charging I am deciding how to fit this in my bag. I hope to have two additional lenses soon: 21mm and 90mm.

I can't seem to easily fit the camera in the bag with the EVF attached and have room for the other lenses. I could keep one lens in its case

Any thoughts?

Thank you

If it's not too late, exchange your lovely bag. Something bigger. Something big enough to hold all of the gear you already bought, plus those that you're thinking of buying, plus two more.

signed,

GASoholic.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thorsten Overgaard has a good point he makes about getting used to the M240 without the EVF, here.

The analog viewfinder should be enjoyed as it is an essential part of the Leica M. Not only does it include marvelous optics, it is also a piece of engineering marvel as it helps you focus. If you take off the lens of a Leica M camera and look, you will see a small chrome wheel on the top inside the bayonet opening. You can push this back and forth gently with a finger and this will change the position of the center image inside the viewfinder (the one you use for focusing).

One of the things you want to get a hold of for the Leica M Type 240 is the EVF2, which is a rebranded Olympus VF-2 for Leica Camera AG to fit the Leica X2 and the Leica M Type 240.

When I say get it, I mean get one. But don't start using it till you have gotten used to the camera.

Whatever ... we both know you will start using this within 10 minutes after UPS drops off the box, no matter what I say.

However, I will say - as a disclaimer - that if I had known what I do now, I would have used my Leica M 240 the first two weeks without this ... instead of 5 minutes after I opened the box.

You might want to consider keeping the small Billingham bag and adding a larger one later.

Best of luck with it and enjoy!

Hello ahklein,

Welcome to the Forum.

I don't know much about Billingham Bags one way or the other but I think your choices of camera, lenses (current & future) & EVF are quite good. A maximum of versatility with a minimum of equipment.

You don't have to carry all of your equipment around with you all of the time. Unless, of course, you want to. Sometimes a portion of everything in a smaller bag is more versatile & less restrictive. Perhaps a smaller bag is all that you need to take with you much of the time.

Also, you might also consider getting a small, solid table tripod with a large ball head & a cable release. This is another small combination that takes little space when collapsed & can sometimes multiply the versatility of any combination of equipment that you might have with you. Sometimes more than you might think. As well as adding to everything's stability in a variety of situations.

There are a number of Threads concerning table tripods that you can research in the "Search" box @ the top of this page.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

I can't seem to easily fit the camera in the bag with the EVF attached and have room for the other lenses. I could keep one lens in its case

Any thoughts?

Welcome to the Forum.

There is something of an obsession with small bags in the Leica community, everything has to fit perfectly and every item has to be crammed into its own small space. As you are already thinking of expanding your lens collection this is a good time to give your camera some space in anticipation. It doesn't need to be too much space, but space in your bag means you can get everything out quickly, and put everything away quickly without faffing about (doing things that aren't important). There are many bags on the market that don't have the word 'Leica' or 'M' attached to them, and they all offer more flexibility and space. You may even want a bag to take other things as well, like maps, sandwiches, water, a laptop, or a selection of songs from 'South Pacific', all of which can share a bag with a Leica and a few lenses. I would suggest a 'messenger' style bag as they are generally slimmer, meaning they are more streamlined in crowds, and tend to have lots of useful pockets.

Steve

• Like 1

I actually even think carry a M bag is bothersome, I have got one, and used for while, but now I prefer just carry the M on my shoulder go out and shoot. in my opinion you have get right bag for normal use, if you want a bag store all your gear, or carry them whenever you go out, then you might want a bigger bag

• Like 1

I use a Hadley small for M with lens (up to 90mm), iPad, wallet, spare battery. It was ok until I added a mfg for geotagging. The extra height of the camera means the shutter is pressed when it is in the bag (height of camera > width of bag). I leave the camera switched on when I bag it which I only do when I need my hand. Conclusion - Hadley small is too narrow for my minimum kit but the height and length are ok.

My solution is three bags: small custom leather bag for M and spare lens; larger shoulder bag that takes M, 4 lenses and quite a bit of other stuff; a backpack which takes my M, all my normal lenses, two flash guns and stuff, and to which I can strap two lighting stands and brollies - my portable studio.

Welcome to the forum. You will soon realise that when you ask a question the responses will be one of:

- you've bought the wrong kit.

- you're using the wrong technique.

- an answer to a question you haven't asked.

But I like this place :D

Edited by LocalHero1953

Ref the ONA Brixton, which I have. It is lovely to look at, tough, and protects my kit. But IMHO:

- it is heavy.

- the metal buckles rattle.

- there is a lot of space above the camera pockets at the bottom. Fill it up, and it is difficult to get at the bottom stuff.

YMMV

Welcome to the forum and to Leica

You certainly have a nice kit to start out with.

You could just take the EVF off when stowing the camera in the bag, and add it when needed.

If you are looking for a new bag, may i suggest ThinkTankPhoto ?

They have a range of different size bags, i use a Retrospective7 because it has room for my 11" macbook in the back, if you dont have a tiny laptop/ipad you may prefer the retro5

Guest Marc G.

Use what you have until you need more space due to lens acquirements. Otherwise you're going to buy too much and will be unhappy. Your setup just fits and you can certainly fit 2 more lenses into the bag. You won't need the EVF with the 35mm anyway