Auto iso coming.

hansmezger

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear Leica Community,

I would like to inform you all that auto iso update is coming soon .

Don't want to spill any beans yet but I took part in a big argument that took place in Munich. Some important calls were made including Olaf and a very high ranking representative from Leica A.G.

I guess now its on their n:1 priority list. Expect the update soon.

Edited by hansmezger
  • Like 18

Dear Leica Community,

I would like to inform you all that auto iso update is coming soon .

Don't want to spill any beans yet but I took part in a big argument that took place in Munich. Some important calls were made including Olaf and a very high ranking representative from Leica A.G.

I guess now its on their n:1 priority list. Expect the update soon.

Out of interest, could you give a précis of the points being argued? This since my own M is turning from an impossible dream to earlier than expected reality.

Don't want to spill any beans yet but I took part in a big argument that took place in Munich.

Why was there an Argument? Leica doesn't listen to its customers? They don't care about future firmware upgrades? They don't want to work more once the camera is sold?

Guest Gilgamesh

Advertisement (gone after registration)

To recap. This is a Leica, part of the M system…..and someone wants Auto ISO!

Next a P mode?

Then Auto focus?

You control the shutter speed.

You control the ISO - always.

You control the aperture.

You control the focussing.

If you don't control the ISO, you are fundamentally undermining the whole "you" in this equation & by definition, you are no longer in control of the photography.

Go elsewhere to a.n.other camera system if you, even for a minute, think along those Auto lines.

Learn to use the M camera correctly perhaps?

Go back & tell Leica that no one wants Auto ISO or Auto focus or a for that matter a P mode on the M system, for goodness sake.

The rot starts with an A.

• Like 8

Next a P mode?

Then Auto focus?

If you don't control the ISO, you are fundamentally undermining the whole "you" in this equation & by definition, you are no longer in control of the photography.

Go elsewhere to a.n.other camera system if you, even for a minute, think along those Auto lines.

Go back & tell Leica that no one wants Auto ISO or Auto focus or a for that matter a P mode on the M system, for goodness sake.

Are you having a bad day? I only see negative stuff coming out of you today.

Also:

I've never used auto ISO on any Leica, but if people like it and the feature is in the camera then it should work... not, not work, or be removed.

I usually shoot the Leica in Aperture priority with aiming for exposure, locking, focussing, recomposing, click.

• Like 2

Next a P mode?

Then Auto focus?

One may add the following about auto-iso:

Auto-ISO in the old days may sound OK: You can measure the scene once, select your preferred

aperture/time/ISO combination and then shoot. If the light varies somewhat your output on the rearscreen may look constant, if the ISO was varied a bit. However, if you dont need to show the

rearscreen to anybody, this usage of auto-iso is entirely superfluous: The ISO setting changes nothing on the sensor eccept a tag, which is used for the display on the rearscreen. Noise levels

are determined by the amount of light arriving on the sensor, determined by the combination of aperture and time. Thus in LR you can over/underexpose afterwords (thus varying the above tag going with your RAW file).

One may add the following about auto-iso:

Auto-ISO in the old days may sound OK: You can measure the scene once, select your preferred

aperture/time/ISO combination and then shoot. If the light varies somewhat your output on the rearscreen may look constant, if the ISO was varied a bit. However, if you dont need to show the

rearscreen to anybody, this usage of auto-iso is entirely superfluous: The ISO setting changes nothing on the sensor eccept a tag, which is used for the display on the rearscreen. Noise levels

are determined by the amount of light arriving on the sensor, determined by the combination of aperture and time. Thus in LR you can over/underexpose afterwords (thus varying the above tag going with your RAW file).

Doesn't help with blown highlights, nor shadows under the noise floor, though. In other words, you lose out on dynamic range if you expose incorrectly.

Next a P mode?

Then Auto focus?

Jees, you sound like a nanny state politician.

• Like 2

Next a P mode?

Then Auto focus?

The M9 had the auto iso feature.

A camera that is worth +6k should be able to offer you this feature. You can use it or not. That is up to you.

But who do you think you are to tell me to use another camera or learn to use it properly? Maybe it's better for you to stop being a forum photographer, and start going out and doing real photography. Maybe this way you will notice how this feature would be beneficial for you as well ;)

Cheers,

Edited by hansmezger
  • Like 11

I find Auto ISO a very useful feature to adjust exposure when doing fast-paced street photography in changing lighting conditions - pretty happy that it's getting an overhaul as its current implementation on the M240 is not how I like to use it.

I also use the A mode in similar circumstances (not in combination with Auto ISO, though, as the results can sometimes be unpredictable).

If most of my photography was landscape of architecture, I'd be pretty happy with using full manual only - but that's not the case, and I value the convenience of the auto features offered.

I thought I would hate the EVF, but find myself using it more than I expected.

Movies are another story, but I understand that some may like to use this feature (btw, any hint during the "big Munich argument" that we may be able to repurpose that button?:p).

Technology, when properly implemented, gives more flexibility.

We all have our preferences here, and many are seasoned Leica users.

So please, Gigglemess, spare us this kind of Pyongyang-style lecture on the right way to use an M and what makes a *worthy* M user. Oh, and is there any web gallery where we may be enlightened by your inspired photographic work - although I'm not sure i'd like to see "the whole you"?

Edited by Ecar
  • Like 7

Next a P mode?

Then Auto focus?

What nonsense. Lots of good photographers use A mode as their starting point for measuring exposure. Auto ISO is just another tool you can use or not use. There's nothing wrong with tools if you understand what is happening. Having an A mode or an auto ISO or (gasp) an EVF does not turn the camera into a point and shoot.

• Like 6

Something escapes me here. We have auto iso already and it works fine. It's just that some users want a mix of auto iso and manuel setting if i understand well. I don't mind it personally but don't ask me to do more chimping for that thanks no thanks.

• Like 3