M flash options

flyalf

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I fear that I need to buy flash AND start using them on M and M9. although I'm not a fan of flash lightning.

So asking for all kind of help and advice:

- Should I go for a TTL flash, and what options are available (also second hand) aside from SF-58?

- Do you know if there are extras for the SF-58 such as extension cord, mini-stativ (table holder), etc...?

- Are you M users comfortable with using other "A" type flash such as Nikons (a lot of second hand SB-800 around)?

- I seem to remember that one needed to check the voltage?? of old flash to be used on M, and there is a site holding this information for a lot of flashes?

All help or hints much appreciated :-)

I use a camera mounted trigger and up to four simple, manual flashes - the whole lot cost less than an SF-58 (though I do have one of those as well) and gives me a lot more flexibility with placement, power (try doing fill flash in bright sunlight with one flash!), spread of light and simplicity (the flashes have a simple power level control from full-1/64th power). This is much easier then fiddling with flash compensation or trusting TTL to get it "right" - it often doesn't, just like auto exposure doesn't.

I also have a video light which is great for some circumstances.

• Like 2

I use a camera mounted trigger and up to four simple, manual flashes - the whole lot cost less than an SF-58 (though I do have one of those as well) and gives me a lot more flexibility with placement, power (try doing fill flash in bright sunlight with one flash!), spread of light and simplicity (the flashes have a simple power level control from full-1/64th power). This is much easier then fiddling with flash compensation or trusting TTL to get it "right" - it often doesn't, just like auto exposure doesn't.

I also have a video light which is great for some circumstances.

I use this approach also.... And will also put the flash right on the hot shoe also.

I've always been partial to the Fuji EFX-20; because of the size and the easy to control dial. However, I'm finding it a bit cumbersome to use when I have the bad habit of chimping.

I've been looking at the Nikon SB22 as an alternative as a small portable fill flash that I can mount on my camera.

Others tend to rely on the Leica flash offerings; like the sf24D - which is also good. However, I feel the price and the awkard battery size a little distracting.

I just tested my old Metz MZ40-3i with the SCA3502-M4 on my M TYP240.

Even though both the Leica manual and the Metz SCA manual specifies SCA3502-M5 for M9 and M240, I still got the M4 working successfully in the METZ AUTO mode.

There is a TTL mode that I have not tried (maybe this will require the M5 module).

I tried these combinations-

1) on the M ; AutoWB, AutoISO and the special flash (1/180th) shutter speed.

2) on the M; WB-Flash, ISO200 and the special flash (1/180th) shutter speed.

and got some nice flash shots.

The beauty of the Metz MZ40 , is with two reflectors, I can send the main reflector (90%) to the ceiling for bounce, and the second reflector (10%) does fill-in.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Buy some inexpensive triggers and learn to use flash in manual mode. You will be thrilled by the control (and the results) you are able to achieve...TTL is for kids.

Been following this thread and has peaked my interest in using a flash any recommendations on cheap flash and triggers for a novice to have a little fun with.

Been following this thread and has peaked my interest in using a flash any recommendations on cheap flash and triggers for a novice to have a little fun with.

Try these triggers Tiny Trigger Set V3 and these flashes SRs Strobie 130- best affordable compact flash

I have no commercial connection - I attended his creative light seminar and was astounded at how easy manual flash can be - and the great results possible.

In China the competition (and rates) are very competitive, so using stupid expensive Broncolor lights is a no-go (unless of course, they are given to you for free). For the rest of us there are many excellent options, at a fraction of the price, with amazing, consistant light and rugged build quality. I have recently been using the Godox AD360, and you can buy this amazing light (nearly 400W of power) with a dedicated wireless trigger that lets you remotely control power. My entire setup, with remotes and soft box was under $500, but is probably more outside China. Enjoy, and don't listen to the strobe snobs who say that only western brand lights are suitable...

http://www.lightingrumours.com/godox-witstro-ad360-flash-review-4526

• Like 4

I have recently been using the Godox AD360, and you can buy this amazing light (nearly 400W of power) with a dedicated wireless trigger that lets you remotely...

Godox Witstro AD360 – the flash you have been waiting for | Lighting Rumours

Does it have to be a Nikon version or the trigger simply works?

US version is called Chetah and the price is almost $800 for a kit with a battery and triggers.

I use Aputure Trigmasters which are pretty great for the price (albeit they are a little plasticky). They recently changed the design so they're less versatile (separate receiver + transmitter rather than two-in-one). Still fantastic cheap triggers!

Does it have to be a Nikon version or the trigger simply works?

US version is called Chetah and the price is almost $800 for a kit with a battery and triggers.

That's quite an increase over what I can buy it for direct, but I'm sure there are US distributors and dealer markups. You can of course buy without their trigger, but it's very nice for remotely setting power, as I can just have a grip hold the light. I know Godox makes different triggers, but the one I have is a single contact/non-TTL manual only version. If you want HSS you need to purchase their Cells II trigger (or use another mfg's) and then control the power level with the standard trigger. More info here...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

On camera flash is poor if not used creatively, but necessary. Multiple lights are great, but you need stands or helpers.

I have settled on studio flash or my old Vivitar 285 with diffuser and I protect the camera with a Wein Safe Sync.

It works as fill flash or combination ceiling bounce/forward light. The pics are really very nice.

The set works well if you set the shutter to 1/15 so ambient is picked up and then the flash exposes the subject. The warmer color of incandescent is an asset.

I just tested my old Metz MZ40-3i with the SCA3502-M4 on my M TYP240.

Even though both the Leica manual and the Metz SCA manual specifies SCA3502-M5 for M9 and M240, I still got the M4 working successfully in the METZ AUTO mode.

There is a TTL mode that I have not tried (maybe this will require the M5 module).

I tried these combinations-

1) on the M ; AutoWB, AutoISO and the special flash (1/180th) shutter speed.

2) on the M; WB-Flash, ISO200 and the special flash (1/180th) shutter speed.

and got some nice flash shots.

The beauty of the Metz MZ40 , is with two reflectors, I can send the main reflector (90%) to the ceiling for bounce, and the second reflector (10%) does fill-in.

I also have a 40 MZ3i flash I want to try on my M9

I have a old SCA interface with just the middle contact.

Will this work if I set the flash to Auto Mode

so the thing is as the flash uses his own Auto Mode it should be enough to trigger the flash by the middle contact ... right?

Thanks for any advice.

Tend to agree with your manual approach. Wouldn't it be nice if the SF-58 or any flash for that matter had a manual rotary dial (ala shutter speed) to manually control the power?

As to the original poster comment, nothing wrong with flash lighting, especially when using film...

[ QUOTE=flyalf;2535994]I fear that I need to buy flash AND start using them on M and M9. although I'm not a fan of flash lightning.

- Should I go for a TTL flash, and what options are available (also second hand) aside from SF-58?

- Do you know if there are extras for the SF-58 such as extension cord, mini-stativ (table holder), etc...?

- Are you M users comfortable with using other "A" type flash such as Nikons (a lot of second hand SB-800 around)?

- I seem to remember that one needed to check the voltage?? of old flash to be used on M, and there is a site holding this information for a lot of flashes?

Don't write off the SF-58, it's price still pales in comparison to a good lens but offers:

- 58 power

- bounce flash

- TTL

- HSS (high speed synch on M7 and M240)

- second fill bulb

- control of power down to 1/256...

I fear that I need to buy flash AND start using them on M and M9. although I'm not a fan of flash lightning.