Leica User Forum


Go Back   Leica User Forum > International User Forum > Leica Products > Leica Collectors & Historica

Leica Collectors & Historica This forum is about collecting Leica cameras and lenses. Historica and photographica - whatever the Leica collector wants!

Reply « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27/04/12, 11:13   #1 (permalink)
Neuer Benutzer
 
Join Date: 27/04/12
Posts: 2
Default FOUND A LEICA 1A

Ad
Hi everyone,
just few days ago, tidying up my granpa's stuff (he was a scientist) I found a cardboard box witha a leica inside with a strange piece attached which I think is an adapter for taking pictures from a microscope. The camera is missing the normal lens and the black plastic cover of the camera itself is shattered to pieces. as for the rest the mechanics seem to be ok and working perfectly and smoothly.

I would like to know the exact model and the value of this item. Browsing the web I've discovered it belongs to the Leica 1a models. I am not an expert and I would be grateful if somebody could help me.
Thank you very much

Sal

please email me for the pictures because I am new in the forum and I don't know how to attach the photos here.

thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (90.3 KB, 519 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (84.1 KB, 519 views)
File Type: jpg 011.jpg (100.9 KB, 514 views)
File Type: jpg 012.jpg (96.4 KB, 510 views)
File Type: jpg 016.jpg (67.0 KB, 509 views)
hurueli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27/04/12, 12:34   #2 (permalink)
Erfahrener Benutzer
 
Join Date: 23/06/07
Posts: 457
Default Re: FOUND A LEICA 1A

See here: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-..._%28model_E%29

It's a Leica Standard (model E) from 1940/ 1942.

greets.
sabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank You says
hurueli (27/04/12)
Old 27/04/12, 16:34   #3 (permalink)
Moderator
 
jc_braconi's Avatar
 
Join Date: 20/03/04
Posts: 4,032
Default Re: FOUND A LEICA 1A

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurueli View Post
Hi everyone,
just few days ago, tidying up my granpa's stuff (he was a scientist) I found a cardboard box witha a leica inside with a strange piece attached which I think is an adapter for taking pictures from a microscope. The camera is missing the normal lens and the black plastic cover of the camera itself is shattered to pieces. as for the rest the mechanics seem to be ok and working perfectly and smoothly.

I would like to know the exact model and the value of this item. Browsing the web I've discovered it belongs to the Leica 1a models. I am not an expert and I would be grateful if somebody could help me.
Thank you very much

Sal

please email me for the pictures because I am new in the forum and I don't know how to attach the photos here.

thanks
Sorry we do not give any value on this web site please check the steady threads on top of this Forum.
__________________
Best regards
JCBraconi
Leica Ambassador
LEICA HISTORICA web site
jc_braconi @ LFI Gallery
jc_braconi is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank You says
andybarton (05/05/12)
Old 28/04/12, 08:29   #4 (permalink)
Erfahrener Benutzer
 
Join Date: 15/11/05
Location: Greater Stockholm
Posts: 5,467
Default Re: FOUND A LEICA 1A

Until the early 1980's Leica cameras were covered with Vulcanite, a trade name for a hard rubber composition that contained sulphur and was vulcanised in situ under heat. After many a summer, this rubber can go brittle and crack and that is what has happened here. It cannot be replaced, but there are vinyl-based covering materials (current Leica cameras use vinyl).

The photo of the attachment is too dark for precise assessment, but it does suggest the main parts of the microscope attachment MIKAS, available from 1932 to the mid-1970's. This had a photographic eyepiece that replaced the ordinary visual microscope eyepiece, a beam-splitter to present an image to the sideways-mounted focusing eyepice, above that an Ibsor leaf shutter (the camera's shutter was locked open to avoid vibration) and a conical piece with a male 39mm thread like that of a Leica lens, for attachment to the camera. It seems that detacheable optical components have been removed, but I am not certain about that. And the proportions of the different parts do not look right. This may well be a specially built contraption, for I cannot find anything in the literature that fits the picture well.

The old man from the Age of the Standard Leica
lars_bergquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28/04/12, 08:43   #5 (permalink)
Moderator
 
jaapv's Avatar
 
Join Date: 14/09/04
Location: Behind a Red Dot
Posts: 36,009
Default Re: FOUND A LEICA 1A

If the Vulcanite comes off like this it is because the shellack that bonded the Vulcanite to the camera has deteriorated with age and storage conditions. See the moisture marks around the bottom, which surely indicate that some restorative work will have to be done on the inside as well. I will of course not give an estimate, but as this camera has to be restored -it probably is just worth it if only for sentimental reasons- and will never be in an original condition, the value will not be exceedingly high. You have not found a Rembrandt in the attic.

I wonder what the bayonet connector in the flash shoe is for.
__________________
Jaap

WWW.JAAPVPHOTOGRAPHY.EU

Posts in blue bold font are made as a moderator

Last edited by jaapv; 28/04/12 at 08:50.
jaapv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28/04/12, 09:11   #6 (permalink)
Erfahrener Benutzer
 
M9reno's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03/06/11
Location: Oxford, England
Posts: 780
Default Re: FOUND A LEICA 1A

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaapv View Post

I wonder what the bayonet connector in the flash shoe is for.
A FOKOS rangefinder?
__________________
Al
M9reno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28/04/12, 09:23   #7 (permalink)
Moderator
 
jaapv's Avatar
 
Join Date: 14/09/04
Location: Behind a Red Dot
Posts: 36,009
Default Re: FOUND A LEICA 1A

Maybe, but that would make little sense as the camera has obviously been used for microscope photography.
__________________
Jaap

WWW.JAAPVPHOTOGRAPHY.EU

Posts in blue bold font are made as a moderator
jaapv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28/04/12, 10:05   #8 (permalink)
Erfahrener Benutzer
 
luigi bertolotti's Avatar
 
Join Date: 24/01/07
Location: Brescia
Posts: 9,559
Default Re: FOUND A LEICA 1A

Quote:
Originally Posted by M9reno View Post
A FOKOS rangefinder?
Indeed it looks like a lot the pin+base of the FOKOS (which allowed the rotation/removal of the RF body) : who knows ? Maybe the camera was origianlly bought with it... at that times there used to be a specific code for Leica complete with FOKOS... and it seems to me that at acertain timeframe (not 100% sure) the Standard was anyway sold with the FOKOS' pin, provided as std. accessory.
As a "wartime" item, in good conditions apart the "clean" missing cover, it's anyway a rather interesting piece, though not, as said, of special value.
luigi bertolotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank You says
jaapv (28/04/12)
Old 28/04/12, 14:36   #9 (permalink)
Moderator
 
jc_braconi's Avatar
 
Join Date: 20/03/04
Posts: 4,032
Default Re: FOUND A LEICA 1A

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigi bertolotti View Post
Indeed it looks like a lot the pin+base of the FOKOS (which allowed the rotation/removal of the RF body) : who knows ? .
It is to allow changing the speed on the dial knob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg standard.jpg (341.9 KB, 370 views)
__________________
Best regards
JCBraconi
Leica Ambassador
LEICA HISTORICA web site
jc_braconi @ LFI Gallery

Last edited by jc_braconi; 28/04/12 at 14:38.
jc_braconi is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank You say...
echorec (29/04/12), MBI (29/04/12)
Old 28/04/12, 14:49   #10 (permalink)
Moderator
 
jc_braconi's Avatar
 
Join Date: 20/03/04
Posts: 4,032
Default Re: FOUND A LEICA 1A

Quote:
Originally Posted by lars_bergquist View Post
The photo of the attachment is too dark for precise assessment, but it does suggest the main parts of the microscope attachment MIKAS, available from 1932 to the mid-1970's. This had a photographic eyepiece that replaced the ordinary visual microscope eyepiece, a beam-splitter to present an image to the sideways-mounted focusing eyepice, above that an Ibsor leaf shutter (the camera's shutter was locked open to avoid vibration) and a conical piece with a male 39mm thread like that of a Leica lens, for attachment to the camera. It seems that detacheable optical components have been removed, but I am not certain about that. And the proportions of the different parts do not look right. This may well be a specially built contraption, for I cannot find anything in the literature that fits the picture well.

The old man from the Age of the Standard Leica
looks there is an iris dial knob 9-16-32 ?!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0162.jpg (42.6 KB, 365 views)
__________________
Best regards
JCBraconi
Leica Ambassador
LEICA HISTORICA web site
jc_braconi @ LFI Gallery
jc_braconi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28/04/12, 15:13   #11 (permalink)
Erfahrener Benutzer
 
Join Date: 10/03/10
Location: London
Posts: 250
Default Re: FOUND A LEICA 1A

Ad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc_braconi View Post
looks there is an iris dial knob 9-16-32 ?!!
I have an LTM MIKAS and the picture isn't clear enough for a direct comparison. I don't think that is an iris dial, I think it is a compur shutter dial. The microscope will have an iris built into its condenser so there is no need for one in the adapter.
greyelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank You says
luigi bertolotti (28/04/12)
Old 28/04/12, 19:19   #12 (permalink)
Moderator
 
jc_braconi's Avatar
 
Join Date: 20/03/04
Posts: 4,032
Default Re: FOUND A LEICA 1A

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyelm View Post
I have an LTM MIKAS and the picture isn't clear enough for a direct comparison. I don't think that is an iris dial, I think it is a compur shutter dial. The microscope will have an iris built into its condenser so there is no need for one in the adapter.
It is 99% a microscope adaptor but not a Leitz one
here is a MIKAS where we can see the kind of low speed dial
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mikas (2).jpg (22.1 KB, 330 views)
__________________
Best regards
JCBraconi
Leica Ambassador
LEICA HISTORICA web site
jc_braconi @ LFI Gallery

Last edited by jc_braconi; 28/04/12 at 19:31.
jc_braconi is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank You say...
lars_bergquist (29/04/12), luigi bertolotti (28/04/12), M9reno (28/04/12), MBI (29/04/12)
Old 29/04/12, 09:05   #13 (permalink)
Erfahrener Benutzer
 
Join Date: 06/09/10
Location: Rosebud
Posts: 365
Default Re: FOUND A LEICA 1A

Quote:
Originally Posted by M9reno View Post
A FOKOS rangefinder?
I don't know what the market is like in the UK/Europe, but the Fokos foot is as scarce as hens' teeth in Australia.
__________________
"From the ashes of today's chaos shall rise, like a phoenix, tomorrow's stuff-up"
iphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29/04/12, 09:56   #14 (permalink)
Moderator
 
jc_braconi's Avatar
 
Join Date: 20/03/04
Posts: 4,032
Default Re: FOUND A LEICA 1A

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphoenix View Post
I don't know what the market is like in the UK/Europe, but the Fokos foot is as scarce as hens' teeth in Australia.
It is scarce also up/over.
__________________
Best regards
JCBraconi
Leica Ambassador
LEICA HISTORICA web site
jc_braconi @ LFI Gallery
jc_braconi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/05/12, 20:38   #15 (permalink)
Neuer Benutzer
 
Join Date: 27/04/12
Posts: 2
Default Re: FOUND A LEICA 1A

Thank you to all those who replied!!
I am sorry I cannot write more here because I am not home at the moment and I don't have much time.
As soon as I get back I will post more and better images.
Thank you very much. Anyway the black misterioous piece has its own iris inside....and the knob seems to regulate it.

thanks again even though the piece is not a special one.
hurueli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/12, 18:23   #16 (permalink)
Moderator
 
jc_braconi's Avatar
 
Join Date: 20/03/04
Posts: 4,032
Default Re: FOUND A LEICA 1A

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurueli View Post
Thank you to all those who replied!!
I am sorry I cannot write more here because I am not home at the moment and I don't have much time.
As soon as I get back I will post more and better images.
Thank you very much. Anyway the black misterioous piece has its own iris inside....and the knob seems to regulate it.

thanks again even though the piece is not a special one.
So we are waiting
__________________
Best regards
JCBraconi
Leica Ambassador
LEICA HISTORICA web site
jc_braconi @ LFI Gallery
jc_braconi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Current eBay Ads

Tags
leica, leica 1a

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:54.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
© juergensen.net - Andreas Jürgensen