Fuji X-T1

kdriceman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A very interesting and capable extension of the Fuji X series mirrorless cameras, the X-T1 is getting very good reviews and is something I'm going to take a hard look at. Not to replace my M, but to replace my Nex 6 which is showing signs of wear from its mediocre construction quality.

Nice features like no AA filter, weather sealed construction, big OLED EVF with .005s delay, heavy duty magnesium body, aperture rings- shutter speed dial- exposure comp dial - and, yes, an ISO dial all on the top plate, phase detection auto focus and tracking that may actually work. Best of all, the Fuji X series lens lineup is significantly stronger than the Sony lineup. All in a package about the same size as (actually lighter than) he XPro 1.

Fuji's X-T1 - The

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Certainly a camera that sounds very interesting indeed. I've pre-ordered one......just in case :). Possibly available next week over here.

There is a size comparison with an OMD EM-5 in that article and the X-T1 looks to be just a tad larger, I'm hoping it is as I found the EM-5 to be almost too small without the accessory grip fitted. In the linked video you can see two XT-1's, one with the grip and one without.

Mine came in today, I had it in my hand at the dealer's this afternoon. I was very impressed with the build quality, handling and the EVF, which certainly lives up to the promise of the early reviews.

In the end I didn't buy (I hope I don't regret it.....),nothing wrong with the camera but I've decided to have one last hurrah with an OVF DSLR.

I am not a fan of the mini DSLR form factor either in the Fuji or the Sony design. The rangefinder-y handling is more appealing to me, and why I'm still NEX 6-ing (and M6-ing) it.

If I could get an full frame a7 in a NEX-6 body, that'd get me ordering...

Edited by Jaybob

i think its a great camera, i would also consider the Olympus E-M1

I had a chance to try it and it is – especially its viewfinder. It has no noticeable lag (the latency is just 5 ms, according to Fuji, and while I could not measure it myself, this figure sounds about right), the frame rate stays at 54 fps even with low lighting, and the viewfinder image is huge – it’s filling my field of view when I am wearing glasses. Also the hybrid AF (phase-detection and contrast-based) is really fast and supports continuous focusing with prediction – prior to the X-E2, the continuous focusing option of Fuji’s X models was best turned off. The X-T1 is certainly one of the best mirrorless cameras currently out there. Except for those who despise the SLR form factor, obviously, but then the Olympus E-M1 wouldn’t be an option either.

• Like 1

Looks an interesting camera but the styling is rather 'vegetarian sausage' - why did they have to make it look like a film SLR?

EVF is a deal breaker for me anyway. If they made a version with a proper viewfinder (which would make more sense of the styling) now that would be interesting.

Looks an interesting camera but the styling is rather 'vegetarian sausage' - why did they have to make it look like a film SLR?

There appears to be a huge market for this type of camera; just ask Olympus. SLR photographers still cannot quite come to terms with mirrorless cameras looking like rangefinders.

EVF is a deal breaker for me anyway. If they made a version with a proper viewfinder (which would make more sense of the styling) now that would be interesting.

I guess there will be a successor of the X-Pro1 in due course, again with a hybrid optical/electronic viewfinder, but the EVF is both more popular and better suited to using zoom lenses and/or very long or very short focal lengths.

• Like 1

I guess there will be a successor of the X-Pro1 in due course, again with a hybrid optical/electronic viewfinder, but the EVF is both more popular and better suited to using zoom lenses and/or very long or very short focal lengths.

Michael, what is the delay like when taking a photo - not the lag but the blackout time after pressing the shutter?

I agree that many like the familiarity of an SLR layout and I think that Fuji have done a much better job than Nikon with the fussy looking Df, albeit that the Nikon is proper SLR, but given they don't have the physical limitations of a pentaprism it's retro for the sake of it.

That said, I'm not a fan of the other end of the design scale which is different just for the sake of it!

Michael, what is the delay like when taking a photo - not the lag but the blackout time after pressing the shutter?

It’s been a few weeks and I don’t remember exactly, but it didn’t pose a problem.

James, I tried the X-T1 last Friday. There is a display blackout after the shot of course, but it didn't seem excessive, quite brief in fact. Most noticeable were the positives Michael outlined above. Build quality also seemed very good. It felt very nice in the hand, if almost a little too small for me, something it has in common with most mirror-less cameras I've handled.

I was very, very tempted but could't resist the call of an OVF this time. For mirror-less let's see what the Leica T brings :).

...why did they have to make it look like a film SLR?

Well, why not? After all, this is how cameras looked like for decades, and there was nothing wrong with that. At least you know where the top is (as opposed to those trendy brick shaped cameras).

EVF is a deal breaker for me anyway....

That's what I thought, too. But EVF has come to a point where the best of them are truly usable. Just bought an Olympus Stylus 1, and am quite impressed with its finder. And I assume the X-T1 finder will be even better.

Cheers,

Andy

Jono Slack over on GetDPI forum is reporting some horrible problems with the rendering, which is a shame because I thought maybe Fuji would have this one sorted.

Steve

Interesting thread over there. Not sure I'm up for sorting out those kind of pp issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

If interested...the XT-1 with M-adapter performs exceptionally well! IMHO.

This shot was taken using the 50 lux ASPH at F/1.4.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2