#002 - Leica Stopps Selling R-System

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica yesterday informed their sales agencies, that Leica has no more stock of Leica R9 cameras and Leica R Lenses. A new production is not planned either.

Leica also writes that they are working hard "on making a generation change possible for the current R-System", for this the knowledge gained through the development of the LEICA S2 has helped tremendously.

This fits into the Leica's and Dr. Kaufmann's commitment to a digital R camera during the photokina.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to reply to a post in the news section but this one sounds much more positive to me than the other two threads one in English forum and another in its German peer.

Please tell all good boys and gals at Leica, don't rush, do it good, if the R mount needs to be scrapped so be it. They have my blessings.

I think an adapter would be sufficient.

Andreas, you have translated "bisherige" into "current", which would normally be written "aktuelle". Bisherige sounds much more ominous. Do you have some insight there?

Let's hope they don't scrap the R-mount, we are many just waiting to put our R-optics into serious use again :-)

Regards,

Audun

Well, if there are adapters for R lenses on the Panasonic G1, why on earth not for the "R10", whatever it will be called? Only problem would be if they increased the flange distance, but why should they? It´s already one of the longest in 35mm camera systems.

I don't see any reason to present this as sad or bad news.

The R lenses are what they are, amazing glass, well build and manual focusing. I just hope the prices on the stock from SH Photo will drop even further so I can get some more. For lots of work like portrait photography AF is not essential at all and the R lenses will fit R9/DMR as well as Canon and even Nikon.

Leica need to think new, and clearing stock of lenses is a clear sign that they actually think out a new and future camera, not a patchwork of new technology added to what was back when 20-30 years ago. That they even persisted producing a film R9 camera for so long is amazing.

Look at what Leica has produced since they started to think new: S2 and the Summilux-M lenses. It's new products, not patching up existing ones. So no matter what tomorrow brings I think we have something interesting to look forward to.

My favourite quote from Dr. Kaufmann (in:LFI 1/2009 p38): “Look, we want to sell cameras and lenses and aren’t interested in blowing ourselves out of the market”

And the second favourite goes this (in same article p39): “…if a full-format sensor is what the market wants, then that’s what the market will get. Eventually.”

Both sound for me as an absolutely positive, client orientated marketing strategy. No doubt M9, R10, & S2 is on the way. Priorities, sequences & timing is merely a financial (& marketing) issue. I'm looking forward using any of these equipments in the future.

Kind regards,

Jeno

Andreas, you have translated "bisherige" into "current", which would normally be written "aktuelle". Bisherige sounds much more ominous. Do you have some insight there?

As I knew that each word will be inspected carefully, I exactly took Leica's phrases from their release. It says in German:

einen Generationswechsel im bisherigen R-System zu ermöglichen.

In English

We are working very hard on making a generation change possible for the current R-System.

Please dig to deep in this topic - I think this only means "The R-System we know until know" ;)

Andreas, how about starting an R10 discussion forum, to sit next to the S2 forum. Then Leica will know that we are expecting it.

Believe me - they know...

I don't want too much subsections in the forum - but if you think there are some people interested in discussing this topic, please found a group. Just send me a PM

Best regards from Bonn

Andreas

I certainly hope that a generation change for the R-System means that adapters would be available for whatever Leica transitions into, which allows use of the existing line of R-lenses.

Having a large number of R-lenses and using adapters for D3 and Canon 5D, I still have dreams of using my wide-angles on a full-frame fully integrated Leica without adapters.

I wish Leica would take their time and develop a well thought-out generation change. In the meantime, they could launch a bridge for the R, being a simple Digital Full-Frame R. It is the optics that really has value.

PS: I have been told many times in communicating directly with Solms, that a future was being developed for the R. I hope our interpretation of these cryptic messages are as positive as we hope they are...

Believe me - they know...

I don't want too much subsections in the forum - but if you think there are some people interested in discussing this topic, please found a group. Just send me a PM

I'd also want a separate R10 forum as well, Andreas. People currently put up R10 threads in the "main" digital forum and quickly get pushed to page 2 by the overwhelming D Lux 4 and Digilux 2 threads.

An ideal setup would be a R10, a M8, a S2, a Digicam and a Post Processing forum in the "digital section". Just my humble 2 cents though ...

Leica will loose many, many loyal customers if they stop supporting the R system. The M8 is great, but it is not a DSLR. With 3 R bodies and 6 R lenses I would be looking at Nikon as an alternative upgrade, and I have been dedicated to Leica cameras since 1982.

With the detachable DMR back, Leica has the option of upgrading the digital section for R8 & R9 without the cost of designing a complete new camera. Just upgrade the sensor and software.

All R owners need to contact Leica to express their concern and willingness to continue supporting the R system if the new R10 or DMR v2 is produced. Times are tough, Leica needs to know R system owners all over the World want to keep using our expensive and wonderful R Leicas.

Brooks Atlanta, GA

canon 5d's are getting cheaper and cheaper. have the mirror shaved and get a couple of confirmation adaptors and you have a full-frame r setup.

here are dance pics taken last week with the 90 2.8 and 5d. had to shoot wide open and focusing hard to do in this situation. under better conditions...

1st choreography critique 09 Photo Gallery by wayne pease at pbase.com

canon 5d's are getting cheaper and cheaper. have the mirror shaved and get a couple of confirmation adaptors and you have a full-frame r setup

But there are certain compromises and 'issues' doing this. Didn't bother me, but I don't think it's a general solution.

Leica will loose many, many loyal customers if they stop supporting the R system. The M8 is great, but it is not a DSLR. With 3 R bodies and 6 R lenses I would be looking at Nikon as an alternative upgrade, and I have been dedicated to Leica cameras since 1982.

Wrong tense. They've already lost many hitherto-loyal customers. Over the years I've owned seven Leitz bodies, thirteen lenses, a projector and all kinds of ancillary equipment. I've put up with their arrogance, unacknowledged emails, accusations ("you have mistreated this equipment!" - yes, I actually used it instead of storing it in a trophy cabinet). When they hit the snooze button over digital, that was the last straw. I now use my R lenses on a Canon, use my M bodies only for my Super Angulon - still a terrific lens - and reflect on the days when the premium Leica asked was commensurate (usually) with their quality advantage. I've lost count of the number of times people have seen my 400 Telyt mounted on my Canon and said something like, "I used to use that. Great lens (which it is). But I switched to Canon/Nikon/Pentax years ago."

I'm afraid this latest ditching of the loyal crew on a desert island has become par for the Leica course and will do nothing to reverse the efflux of their customer base.