Proof of concept regarding self coding of lenses

mike prevette

Mike i have seen results from both lenses one including my own and with the leica filters they look very good. I'm using a 49mm over the WATE which i was warned may cause trouble and it is dead on.

You've compared the CV 15 with 486 filter and WATE at 16 with 486, right? Those may match up fairly well with respect to M8 corrections. Do the cyan drift patterns look similar to you? Mike's points about the differences in lens design are relevant but we'll have to see if it is an issue in practice. I have the CV 12 and 15 here but still need to get a test copy of the WATE (and a copy of the Zeiss 15 again).

Coding either of the 15s as a WATE at 16 might work OK with 1.10 but the CV 12 gives too different an FOV to match up with the 16.

BTW, for anyone interested, I use the term "cyan drift" to describe the color effect of red vignetting. It isn't a cyan cast because it doesn't cover the full frame and it isn't cyan corners because not only the corners are affected. FWIW

Cheers,

Sean

• Like 1

Hi Guy

Can you post pictures you've taken with the WATE with IR filter.Did you use John's filter holder for the IR? Did the pictures require any special profile processing? Can you also post some pictures taken using the CV12?

Thanks,

Herb

Wow, has John already made that filter holder?

Hi Sean,

Sorry, my mistake. The picture I referred to were posted by Kurt Kamka "kidigital". I've been looking at too many posts lately. Anyway thanks for the info on coding the CV12.

Herb

My pleasure. I'm glad my memory is still partly intact.

Cheers,

Sean

Guest guy_mancuso
Wow, has John already made that filter holder?

Yes he has I have the first one built Sean and it is a dream . Loaded with the leica 49mm IR filter with of course the beta firmware i am achieveing perfect corners right out of the camera.

Herb I can and i can't post but i did post one or two with he EXIF data striped out. Remember as beta tester i can only say and do so much here but both you and Sean should see this thread

http://www.leica-camera-user.com/digital-forum/20384-wate-filtered.html?highlight=Wate

Sean you should also read the Laundry list http://www.leica-camera-user.com/digital-forum/20079-official-response-leica-laundry-list.html.

I know you have been gone but a lot has been going on and i did let the forum know that i am a beta tester on the firmware. Read the Official response thread.

I orginally had the B+W filter in and swapped it out for the leica which is working better on the extreme wide angles 16 and 18mm

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Herb as far as the 12mm I have a coded adapter waiting for me to buy the lens. i will use it like that with the WATE code, may help any vignetting but with the IR filter all i can assume is it would only work so far because that 4mm is big when you get to wide angles. i would assume it will help some but will fall short also. It's worth a try at least. If it don't work than just take the IR filter off and shoot naked and use a different profile for it. But i want to get one anyway. Once i get one I will try it though

Yes he has I have the first one built Sean and it is a dream . Loaded with the leica 49mm IR filter with of course the beta firmware i am achieveing perfect corners right out of the camera.

Herb I can and i can't post but i did post one or two with he EXIF data striped out. Remember as beta tester i can only say and do so much here but both you and Sean should see this thread

http://www.leica-camera-user.com/digital-forum/20384-wate-filtered.html?highlight=Wate

Sean you should also read the Laundry list http://www.leica-camera-user.com/digital-forum/20079-official-response-leica-laundry-list.html.

I know you have been gone but a lot has been going on and i did let the forum know that i am a beta tester on the firmware. Read the Official response thread.

I orginally had the B+W filter in and swapped it out for the leica which is working better on the extreme wide angles 16 and 18mm

Hi Guy,

Well, as I've said before, John is a tremendous asset to us here. So does the adapter have filter threads as well as threads for the hood? I forget what the plan was. I'll ask John to send one to test with the WATE. I'll take a look at that WATE filtered thread. Thanks.

I know that the laundry list thread will be a must-read and I'll look at it soon.

Cheers,

Sean

Guest guy_mancuso

The adapter screws onto the lens as a hood would than on the inside you place a Leica 49mm cut filter glass only than a retaining ring that you pulled off the normal filter you reuse it in the adapter than screw on he hood to that and works like a charm . It was very involved milling for John since there is stops in there for the hood and adapter to line up also you need a second O ring for the hood side. John provides that with the adapter. Now doing some tests i highly recommend using the Leica 49mm filter since it is clean at all focal settings. I will post some shots later on to show the effects. Let me say anyone with a WATE that wants to use the IR filters than this really is a must have. Also use the Leica filter the B+W overcorrects at the 16mm setting.

Guest guy_mancuso

Just a quick settings off and settings on at 16mm with the adapter and leica 49mm. let you guys guess which one is which. LOL

BTW those trees are yellow Palo Verde trees and accurate in the second one

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The best way to code the CV 28 is to use a Leitz 9 cm adapter which will key the 28/90 frame lines. It does not have a cutout. I wouldn't code the CV 12 at all and would use it with no filter and Jamie's profiles.

Cheers,

Dear Sean,

I found the Leitz 90 adapter without cutout for my CV28 and indeed it works very well with simple Sharpie marks. Thanks.

Moreover, the last lens I'd like to code is my 1.4/50 Canon and as far as I know, there is no adapter for 50 mm without cutout available, am I wrong ? despite I think I read that some of us have successfully coded CV's and Zeiss' 50 mm lenses...

Any suggestion welcome,

Cheers

Christophe

I wouldn't bother coding the 50. It may do better uncoded. I've also not yet found a 50/75 LTM adapter without a cutout but after I did my tests of the 50s, I stopped looking.

Cheers,

Sean

My concern is more to get the focal lenght in the EXIF than correction from the M8 which indeed has to be insignificant for such a 50mm, that has to be optically close to an old Summilux, I presume.

For convinience, I would like to settle everything so that lens detection is always activated.

Therefor all lenses have to be whether well coded whether uncoded as soon as mounted with an adapter that prevent the M8 to detect a wrong focal lenght due to the gap of the cutout, which happens especially with the CV12 sometimes recognized as a 35mm.

I agree you can't mix shots taken with a well coded 90 with those taken with an uncoded 50, as far as the autodetection works correctly, that is showing nothing for the 50.

I'm aware all this is a bit silly but I'm a perfectionist ans I think the Leica brand deals with perfection...

Cheers

Christophe

• 1 month later...

I've had several unsuccessful attempts at coding a Zeiss 28mm lens. Used template, checked alignment of sensors on mount against position on lens, but still no joy.

Using a permanent fine OHP pen and fine brush to darken screw slot.

Finding that the marker pen was scratching off, so let it dry properly and this minimise the amount removed. Have now cleaned it all off with some Iso-propyl alcohol.

Any ideas? I have been thinking of black nail polish, again applied with 0000 brush. Yes I have read all 17 pages!

I successfully coded the Zeiss 28/2.8 using the method posted on the first page vs template. However, what I did find was that the recognition wasn't 100% and I would have to remove/reattach the lens to pickup the code - not sure why. My self coded 21mm works perfectly.

In the end I cracked and bought a 28/2 Summicron as this is my 90% use focal length and the agravation just went away. You might want to consider getting the Zeiss ring milled - John Milich (jlm) offers this as a service and I'll be getting mine done.

I wouldn't bother coding the 50. It may do better uncoded. I've also not yet found a 50/75 LTM adapter without a cutout but after I did my tests of the 50s, I stopped looking.

The strongest examples of conventional vignetting are the superfast lenses, such as the 50 mm Noctilux 1.0 and Summilux 1.4, and perhaps the Nokton 1.5. I imagine that the fast Canon 50 lenses some would like to use have similar characteristics. This means that shifting from f/4.0 to f/1.4 you see the light intensity at the edges dropping by more than a stop relative to the center of the frame. The offset microlenses, which reduce vignetting for the wide angle lenses, won't help here because the light rays at the frame edge are still nearly perpendicular. The correction you would want to take advantage of is just "ON" with or without an IR filter installed. Those routines crank in extra vignetting correction when the internal aperture estimate says the lens is nearly wide open.

Do you test for this or are you looking mostly at color shifts at the moment?

regards,

scott

Guest guy_mancuso

I know more features more features sounds really nice but at some point we could lose that whole simple M feel to the camera . Last thing i want is another Canon menu system. i think there are more really nice features were asking for but we need to be careful too otherwise the mirror lockup is 3 menu's deep ( that maybe a inside Canon joke but true). Simplicity is king in many ways. I would like us not to go to far with menu options the number that is, maybe a couple more lines but also add some to existing lines. Example White Line Histo can be in the same menu option that already exist. Same with lens coding can be like a User select in the On, ON/IR OFF, user select than drops to another menu with the lenses. Keep the basic lines there pretty much than if you need to go deeper you can but with secondary items. here is a good one make one line LCD control so you can just bypass it on the 1st menu line than if you do select it normally this is a secondary item like Brightness, contrast. We don't need to see that in the 1st menu option but in the second. Hope this is clear. Basically rearrange not so used menu items into a secondary menu option and put the primary stuff first.

• 1 year later...

I just wanted to post a hearty "Thank You" to everyone involved in decoding these lens codes and in developing a home-brew template, especially Bob Blakley and Mike Prevette. Although all of my Leica lenses had been machine-coded I recently purchased an un-coded 75mm f/2 Cron. The template worked beautifully.

Thanks very much, again, for your efforts! I am grateful.

• 2 months later...