Early Camera Bags?

Hi,

.....The best of all old bags were the Benser Bags!.....

Ruben

The original Bensesr bags made during the late 1950's and 1960's might have been practical but, their quality was mediocre. The idea was great - interchangeable inserts in standardized dimensions - one could literally build one's own case depending on the equipment and, buy other inserts just in case new equipment came along.

However - the inserts were made from cardboard, covered with thin embossed leatherette. Their lifespan was pretty short and the finish of the inserts marred the eqiupment. Believe me, I was in the photo industry during the 1960's and remember listening to complaints from Benser case owners......

In my humble opinion, the best vintage Leica accessory case from a practical standpoint was one made for the M2 and M3, during the late 1950's and 1960's. I don't recall its code name/number but am sure that Luigi will come up with it....:)

It had round corners, its top was double-hinged and opened towards the front along with the front panel, thus giving excellent access to the equipment - there was no lid to reach over when reaching into the case. Three inserts were available - one for 2 bodies and 5 lenses (up to 135mm), another one for a Visoflex I outfit and a third, much rarer for a Visoflex II set-up.

I still have two of those cases and use them regularly; if and when I have time I might post a picture here....

Best,

Jan

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the info. Is it one of these bags?

Leica: Leitz Outfit Case EYOOL

Another EYOOL case here: http://leica.boom.ru/EYOOL_camera_kit.JPG

regards

Ruben

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

For a very long time I used the Benser inserts in a much cheaper bag (Photax I think) and very good they are too, the bag eventually fell apart but I still have the inserts.

Gerry

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the info. Is it one of these bags?

Leica: Leitz Outfit Case EYOOL

Another EYOOL case here: http://leica.boom.ru/EYOOL_camera_kit.JPG

regards

Ruben

Hello Ruben,

Those seem to be cases for Leica screwmount bodies, not the one I was referring to - that one was made only for M bodies.

The dark case in the pictures was definitely made by Leitz, the light slim one looks to be very well made and is possibly of Leitz manufacture as well. The light case that is more traditionally styled was probably made by Omnica - another German case manufacturer from the 1950 - 60 era.

Best,

Jan

For a very long time I used the Benser inserts in a much cheaper bag (Photax I think) and very good they are too, the bag eventually fell apart but I still have the inserts.

Gerry

Hi Gerry,

It truly is an exception that your Benser inserts lasted a long time - you are probably extremely careful with your equipment. I am not but, not to the point of being_absolutely_careless, and mine look as if pulled out of a hungry dog's mouth.

You surely remember Jurgen and Hubert of Photokina Technik from your days in Montreal - they both refused to sell Benser cases once their long term quality problems became apparent.

All the best,

Jan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The case I was referring to had a code EBYOO (or later 14800) and its official name was Universal Carrying Case or Combination Case. Here are a few quick and dirty pictures with some modern lenses clad with UV/IR filters.

It is holding M6 and M7 bodies, 2.8/21, 2/35, 2/50, 2/90 and 4/135mm lenses. The M8 will fit but, only without the 'Thumbs Up' - I won't use the M8 sans the T-up so, the case gets only used with the M6 or M7.

Best,

Jan

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

So I guess what this means is that there were no camera bags per say or bags with a shoulder strap, or anything else resembling a camera bag as we know them today back in the 40's. Is that correct?

BTW, those are some really nice looking camera cases and bags. Thanks very much for posting these photos guys. I for one think its a very interesting subject and I have learned something here. And thanks everyone for the interesting posts and the links. This is by far the best forum that I have ever been associated with. Everyone is always so helpful and I don't get the dreaded " do a search " comment everytime I ask a question.

The case I was referring to had a code EBYOO (or later 14800) and its official name was Universal Carrying Case or Combination Case. Here are a few quick and dirty pictures with some modern lenses clad with UV/IR filters.

It is holding M6 and M7 bodies, 2.8/21, 2/35, 2/50, 2/90 and 4/135mm lenses. The M8 will fit but, only without the 'Thumbs Up' - I won't use the M8 sans the T-up so, the case gets only used with the M6 or M7.

Best,

Jan

Fantastic bag ! Thanks for the pics, Jan: I'll take them with care and, you bet, I'll search for one... :) (I suppose that where you put the 90, there is space for a Summarit 75, instead... would pe perfect for me... ;) )

Hi Gerry,

It truly is an exception that your Benser inserts lasted a long time - you are probably extremely careful with your equipment. I am not but, not to the point of being_absolutely_careless, and mine look as if pulled out of a hungry dog's mouth.

You surely remember Jurgen and Hubert of Photokina Technik from your days in Montreal - they both refused to sell Benser cases once their long term quality problems became apparent.

All the best,

Jan

Yes Jan, I bought the inserts from PhotoKina, and used them in a Rox bag at first, and then in the Photax, but they didn't get the heaviest use. I modified the camera ones so that the M3 would fit in with the 35 Summicron attached.

I also have the Benser lightweight 'Ever Ready' case, which is about as never ready as you can get with a zip to undo, but it serves to protect the camera n a briefcase or similar.

Gerry

• 5 months later...
What can anyone tell me about this bag? b722_1_sbl.jpg

The color in the photo seems way off. If the true color of the bag is Burgundy or Maroon, this bag ( as well as a slightly larger bag) was made in 1980 and catalogued by Leica around the time the M4-P and the R4 were introduced. I have one and love it, but as some people mentioned " a little weak in the protection department". Russell

Best,

Jan

Where did you get that M6? I love the classic M4 style script and serial number. You must post more photos of that body. Russell P.S. sorry to go off topic but I had to post my comment about that M6.

Where did you get that M6? I love the classic M4 style script and serial number. You must post more photos of that body. Russell P.S. sorry to go off topic but I had to post my comment about that M6.

Hi Russell,

I've had that M6 since late 1980's, bought it from an estate of a local Leica collector sight unseen and had my wife pick it up. Only when she brought the camera home did I find about the engraving - quite a surprise! Sorry, cannot provide more provenance than that.......

Best,

Jan

Hi Russell,

I've had that M6 since late 1980's, bought it from an estate of a local Leica collector sight unseen and had my wife pick it up. Only when she brought the camera home did I find about the engraving - quite a surprise! Sorry, cannot provide more provenance than that.......

Best,

Jan

Hi Jan,

I can't quite make out the red circle, does it say leitz? Just wondering if your M6 is an earlier one.

Interesting you mention photokina in Mtl. When I was in college, I used to love that shop & then they moved to Nun's Island. they must be closed now..

best,

frederic

Thanks,

Frederic

Someone questioned the practicality of cases like this (image from Doubice's post earlier in this thread):

106331d1223265718-early-camera-bags-leicaiiif-case.jpg

I used one of these for real when travelling in the 70s. It had a slightly different layout, which a previous owner had already modified, so I made some further changes so it held:

• 2 bodies (IIIg and IIc)
  • 35/2 Canon, 50 Summitar, 90 Elmar and 135 Hektor
  • Universal finder
  • Filters & hoods
  • 2 or 3 rolls of film

Weston Master and invercone lived in their own little cases threaded onto the Leitz case's shoulder strap.

Obviously it wasn't the best arrangement for rapid access and fast lens changes. But it was wonderfully compact and unobtrusive for wandering round cities (strap over shoulder, case tucked under arm). It was also slim enough to fit in the cab of a Land-Rover behind the seat back, which was a big advantage on some trips. (I slipped it into a canvas geological sample bag for protection from the various sharp metal objects that also get stored behind the seats)

What did the Kriegsberichter's used during WWII? These guys had to use some kind of bag, especially with all of the other gear they had to carry.

WWII: Mostly NeverReady cases and simple canvas shoulder bags, like an army issue bread bag. Maybe a civilian leather bag. I've never seen a picture of a Kriegsberichterstatter or Allied PJ with a fancy, camera specific bag or case. HCB carried what looked like a narrow leather document case. There is a picture of Capa in China during the mid 30's with a tall leather document shoulder bag, sort of like a massivly oversized case from a early Leica 1a. But it doesn't have a Leitz or Leica logo.

After WWII many PJ's used English style fishing bags. The current Billingham bags evolved from these.

Edited by thrid

The color in the photo seems way off. If the true color of the bag is Burgundy or Maroon, this bag ( as well as a slightly larger bag) was made in 1980 and catalogued by Leica around the time the M4-P and the R4 were introduced. I have one and love it, but as some people mentioned " a little weak in the protection department". Russell

I posted a picture of this same bag quite a while ago on this forum and got some interesting responses:

Check out the link:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-...amera-bag.html

---------------------

Frans