Printer repair

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Several months of not using my out of warranty Epson 4900 due to moving and other delays left me with a seriously clogged printer. Repeated cleaning did not help nor the internet solution of Windex on a paper towel that everyone touts. With nothing left but to carry this heavy monster in to a service center or have Epson send someone out to replace the print head at a cost equivalent to or more than a new printer I thought that if the print head is dried up why not try to rehydrate it?. I ordered 2 passive hydration devices and propylene glycol solution from JR Cigars. I charged the devices and placed them inside the print compartment, closed the lid and placed the dust cover on the printer to contain the humidity and let it sit for several days, topping off the reservoirs once or twice. A nozzle check showed almost complete clearing of the clogs. One cleaning and a couple of prints and everything is back to normal and printing fine. I see no reason why this should not work for any inkjet printer. I also intend to keep these in the printer when not in use or I am out of town. A cheap solution although it took a few days. Remember to remove the devices before printing.

HUMIDIFIER SOLUTION: MADELAINE PROPYLENE GLYCOL (8 FL. OZ.) : JRCigars.com

PROTEK HUMIDIFIER MEDIUM #100 : JRCigars.com

• Like 10

Peter, this is an excellent tip, thank you!

PS. It's been a while since I've been at the JR Cigar store in northern New Jersey, brings back fond memories. I placed my order this morning; they still have my info in their system. :D

Edited by woorob

This sounds excellent. I print only every couple of months or so, and every time it uses so much ink to get the printer cleaned (Epson Stylus Photo R800 at £17 a time for each of 8 units). I use only Original inks and Epson advise that the cartridges are self sealing and can be removed, but I think that with these cartridges each unit is its own print head so maybe storing them with some sort of humidifier would assist.

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the tip, Peter! I have a finicky 4900 and just received my humidifiers and solution.

To clarify, when you said "charge the devices" did you mean simply pouring the glycol solution into the small humidifiers? The directions on their boxes say to charge with distilled water.

would appreciate the clarification..thanks again for the tip.

Warm Regards and Happy Holidays,

George Pappas

When you first pour the solution into the humidifier it will take about an hour to swell up the little balls and you may have to top up several times before placing it in the printer. The glycol solution is mostly distilled water. The propylene glycol regulates the humidity to 70%. You could probably use just distilled water or prepare the solution yourself but the prepared solution is quite inexpensive considering the small amount needed. Since first posting this a friend of mine put one of these in a 3800 that was feeding crookedly and that cleared up. I assume it was a dry feed roller or something similar. Amazing what a little humidity does. When you first pour the solution into the humidifier it will take about an hour to swell up the little balls and you may have to top up several times.

Edited by peterbengtson
  • Like 2