The Sony A7 thread [Merged]

dmclalla

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sorry Ict, uninteresting indeed...

I have never posted an adverse comment on Steve Huff but now I will.

There is significant interest in how wide angle RF lenses perform on the A7R. He has the camera to use and must have more than a 28 and 35, but there is not a single decent photograph that demonstrates edge performance even with these two lenses (which demonstrate perfect black edges). Of the daylight photos with the 28, one is a B&W conversion and the other has a dark right edge but it does suggest red edging.

Oh that's right he doesn't do gear reviews- just real life stuff.

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 1

All hope is not lost as long as we don't get corners like this (Canon 5D, Elmarit-R 28/2.8 # 11204). Encouraging for me. YMMV.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Is this a US dealer and if so who is it? I've seen no mention of that here or at the NYC show.

no - Australian authorized dealer. No idea if it is a universal offer- I will ask when I drop back in in a day or two. He said you would get a certificate for cash back on your choice of adapter, he mentioned Leica M, Canon and Nikon but I think there may be more options.

And Jono: sure it is no sweat to make an adapter ring. But to actively market Leica rings- and give them away- strongly suggests to me who Sony are aiming at. It also suggests they have some confidence that Leica lenses will actually work well on these cameras- once the 'beta dust' settles... I get the feeling Sony have done some M lens testing of their own on this design...

Edited by jaques

All shot around f/5.6, from f/4 to f/6.3.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here is an interesting comparison between A7 and A7R downsized to 24 MP.

Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless - FM Forums

Full size here: http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/9092/49690153.3b/0_a9ebc_ec08520a_orig

WOW! That's more like it, A7R sharper. That's my experience with D800E as well.

Wish we could see the 24-70 sampled. For now that would be the only AF Sony FE lens I might be interested in getting if I got the a7r. Of course the main reason is Leica glass, but it seems a shame to get the camera and not own one Sony AF FE lens. Since I have the RX-1 I am not interested in the FE 35 nor the FE 55 since it looks way too large to me coming from using Leica small Summicron 50's.

Wish we could see the 24-70 sampled. For now that would be the only AF Sony FE lens I might be interested in getting if I got the a7r. Of course the main reason is Leica glass, but it seems a shame to get the camera and not own one Sony AF FE lens. Since I have the RX-1 I am not interested in the FE 35 nor the FE 55 since it looks way too large to me coming from using Leica small Summicron 50's.

You'll have to wait a bit for the 24-70. Sony did not even have a working one as of last week... just more or less a mock up to show the size and weight. The camera with the 35 f2.8 is still pretty small. The 55 is larger of course. Maybe someone will make a collapsible manual focus 50 for this.

That's an important update from Steve Huff facebook page. Might turn things upside down:

"So it appears the Zeiss 21 2.8 works great on the A7 and has color issues on the A7R. (Magenta sides). So far, for wide angle M mount glass 28mm and under the A7 may just be the better option."

Samples later this evening.

Sorry Ict, uninteresting indeed...

I have never posted an adverse comment on Steve Huff but now I will.

There is significant interest in how wide angle RF lenses perform on the A7R. He has the camera to use and must have more than a 28 and 35, but there is not a single decent photograph that demonstrates edge performance even with these two lenses (which demonstrate perfect black edges). Of the daylight photos with the 28, one is a B&W conversion and the other has a dark right edge but it does suggest red edging.

Oh that's right he doesn't do gear reviews- just real life stuff.

I can't say I have followed Huff any but everything I've seen from him is pretty amateurish and worthless to me. He just strikes me as a guy who likes playing with cameras and writing about them to drive his site. Not much of a photographer or technician either.

So what have I learned from his reports on the A7? He likes how it feels and the camera can actually make photographs.

Edited by AlanG
  • Like 1

I looked at the various linked photos here. I downloaded some raw files from Imaging Resources and Sony's converter. It is hard to know if those shots got the most out of the cameras since I guess they were taken handheld at shutter speeds between 1/60th and 1/125th. Also the shallow depth of field on many made it hard to judge the ultimate quality that may be possible from the A7r. That being said, they look good to me.

The two shots of a bus and buildings from the FM site that looks to be tripod mounted and a more critical comparison had my interest. Despite being jpegs and the A7r file being scaled down, the A7r file looks more detailed... but it is only very slight. I would liked to have seen a full size A7r version. I think you usually scale a higher res file down like this to compare high ISO noise... to see if the lower res camera has an advantage due to the larger pixels. So I'm not sure why they scaled it for a resolution test.

I applied the same amount of unsharp masking to the photos to see if that could compensate for the AA filter in the A7. (It actually was one photo with the two images.) I see that accentuates the stair stepping in the round sign and I figured it would be less evident on the shot with the A7 and its AA filter. But I guess this is really due to just getting to the limit of resolution. Perhaps a different raw converter would have made these curves smoother. There is some haloing but that seems to be on the original jpegs and was just accentuated by sharpening. These photos have been stepped on twice in that the posted files were jpegs that I then worked on, saved as tiffs and converted again to jpegs. And the 17r was scaled down and re-saved via some process. Even still, pretty good I think.

I am anxious to see how the A7r camera does via raw files in DXO. (Once there is support for it.) And it would be great to compare a 5DIII with the A7r using the 24 TSE Canon lens.

Edited by AlanG
  • Like 9