Shutter count on new M 240?

I don't know about Leica - but Canon has begun encrypting their shutter actuations so no one can read them since the 7D.

Shutter counts became essentially meaningless once video and live view entered the picture, since a video "take" of 15 minutes will only count as one shutter actuation.

A camera with, say, 2000 actuations, may have been used:

Really hard to capture 500 hours of video for a hundred productions, or

By a photographer who used live-view to view the world 2,000 times - but only actually took 200 pictures, or

By a photographer who never uses live view - and took 2,000 still pictures.

Sure. There are plenty of people who can bust the code, however we do not have adequate samples of exposure data to work with, and I doubt anyone is inclined to provide such. If it were important I would expect Leica to inform us. Perhaps they will.

Mainly the reason I'm asking is because my new M started with "L1004xxx.DNG" whereas when I received my new M9 two years ago, the frames started with "L10000xx.DNG."

Did my new M require 4,000 test shots during production or was it assigned to start in the 4,000s for some other reason?

Edited by danedit28

Mainly the reason I'm asking is because my new M started with "L1004xxx.DNG" whereas when I received my new M9 two years ago, the frames started with "L10000xx.DNG."

Did my new M require 4,000 test shots during production or was it assigned to start in the 4,000s for some other reason?

Might have picked up the folder count if the SDHC card was used in your M9 or whatever. I even had a Canon 1Ds Mark III inherit a file number from a M9 when I used the same SDHC card.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

User error .... either in the factory or inadvertently by the owner......

I am on my 4th digital M so all my cards are set to use Leica400 as a default folder and seeded to start at L400xxxx so I have unique numbering from each camera.

There is no way to find the number of actuations as the unique file number is a semi-random number generated with a new sequence starting every time the camera switched on.

Only Leica knows the algorithm that generates this.

For your self, the way to find out is to search for M240 in Lightroom. This will give you the total of DNG and JPG files in that LR catalog that is shot with the M240.

But it will be nice when someone tell how to count them, either with a software or via the menu.

Shutter counts became essentially meaningless once video and live view entered the picture, since a video "take" of 15 minutes will only count as one shutter actuation.

What is the point here ? Live View does not wear the shutter.

What is the point here ? Live View does not wear the shutter.

The shutter has to open to do live view, then when a picture is taken it closes, opens and closes for the exposure, and opens again. That's not wear?

The shutter has to open to do live view, then when a picture is taken it closes, opens and closes for the exposure, and opens again. That's not wear?

Ok, so shooting in Live View triples the shutter wear if one takes just one photo (no electronic first curtain in the M).

Then again, the time spent in Live View mode or while recording a movie has nothing to do with shutter wear.

Edited by CheshireCat