Ming Thein on the Leica M Typ 240

zlatkob

So far, so good. I'm encouraged by the b/w output, having fears that it would be a step down from the M8.2 b/w results that I like. Instead, it might blend good aspects of the M8.2 with the MM, of course with the added advantage over the latter by the flexibility that color channels provide for PP. At least I hope that's the outcome, and likewise hope Leica sorts the color issues well.

Still too early to draw conclusions, but I remain encouraged. But I still expect a bug or two after release.

Jeff

Thank you for the link and to MT for the review!!

Finally, some really bright and interesting M240 images. And it cannot just be sharpening, as depth and texture in Mr. Thien's images seem very apparent to me. Perhaps we can understand why Leica has delayed release of the M240 while the color profile rendered by the Maestro processor is balanced to be closer to the M9 results.

Also, it appears from the small crops that ISO 800 is not bad at all, so the M240 does move closer to the capability of the D800E and will allow for more flexible use of the wide-angle Elmars and longer lenses such as the APO Telyt.

Now, I am excited about the M240. Earlier this month, I sold my D800E gear to finance receipt of my new 50 AA (utterly fantastic lens, right out to f/2 closest focus) and now I have no regrets about letting the D800E go.

One small thing, the article suggests that "the LCD is now 3″, and has VGA resolution"

which cannot be right as 640 * 480 = 307200 pixels, compared to the technical specifications given on the Leica website of 920000 Pixels.

Nick

Edited by Nick_S

One small thing, the article suggests that "the LCD is now 3″, and has VGA resolution"

which cannot be right as 640 * 480 = 307200 pixels, compared to the technical specifications given on the Leica website of 920000 Pixels.

Nick

Yes... a small error, VGA resolution is available in video mode... I suppose that the LCD, being a 920000 can display pictures in XGA (1024x768) mode, but am not sure.

Anyway, I think this is the best review on the M240 that has been available as of today.

• Like 2

Thanks to MTs writeup, I am now considering getting back on the M waiting list...

I were going to get a monochrom instead, but the claim of MM and M240 being fairly close in both tonality and ISO, with the 240 only slightly behind the MM in detail, this will be an interesting aspect to see more scrutiy of.

• Like 2

A very interesting read. I am not sure what is so far ahead of the previous M's that is mentioned a number of times, when it comes to the primary function of picture taking ? I wouldn't want to swap a silkier shutter for 2-3 second start up on stand by.I have 8,000 shutter actuations on my M9-P and never had any problems with card's. I know some have but nothing suggests the M240 is guaranteed to be bug free ?

It does seem Leica have tried to keep the Leica CCD look and possibly in part acheived that at least. Interesting to understand about the dynamic range with higher ISO's, not sure how this fits in comparison to the 9. I do hope the M240 beats the current Nikon's and Cannons at their own game.

Feels like a small step forward and broadening of functionality not a generation jump. I bet a few will be talking about the 'old' EVF and LCD screen in 12m time in any case.

• Like 1