Leica R lens and NEX7

dierk

• 2 weeks later...

Do you find the LCD screen and EVF problematic in bright sunlight, such as at the beach? I tried one for a week with my two R lenses and decided to return to the R8 body and shoot film. However, I would like a digital option. Not ready for the M240 yet. Was I to hasty with my assessment of the NEX7?

Do you find the LCD screen and EVF problematic in bright sunlight, such as at the beach? I tried one for a week with my two R lenses and decided to return to the R8 body and shoot film. However, I would like a digital option. Not ready for the M240 yet. Was I to hasty with my assessment of the NEX7?

I use a baseball cap to block out the unwanted light at the EVF.

I use a baseball cap to block out the unwanted light at the EVF.

Regrettably, baseball caps one of my pet hates. I find using one interferes with vertical format use of the camera. However, you have answered my question anyway. Thanks.

Regrettably, baseball caps one of my pet hates. I find using one interferes with vertical format use of the camera. However, you have answered my question anyway. Thanks.

Sorry about that.

Interfering depends on how you put the cap on, sideways or backwards is fine. :D

Sideways effectively shades the eye looking through the viewfinder. :)

Where I live we have very bright sunlight, so it's an issue one has to deal with.

In bright sunlight I wear a wide brim hat for MY protection and a 3" Hoodman for any LCD screen-M9, MM, Phase One, Canon, GXR, etc. Just hangs from my neck and I bring it up when appropriate. I use it mostly for focus confirmation and histogram checks. The eye piece also adjusts for differing eye sight. Nice little unit which washes up very well in the event of dropping it on a desert which I did more than once.

Sorry about that.

Interfering depends on how you put the cap on, sideways or backwards is fine. :D

Sideways effectively shades the eye looking through the viewfinder. :)

Where I live we have very bright sunlight, so it's an issue one has to deal with.

Sideways!!!

That would be my ear in the shade. LOL! :D

today in bright light with use of the finder, not easy with effective 150mm lens! If you use the magnifier the image starts to shake very much!

I wonder, how all the users of the very long lenses will do it in bright light (that you will need for the long lenses) and with the EVF, witch has less resolution than the Nex7! :confused:

NEX7 with Leica APO-Macro-Elmarit-R 100/2.8

with Adapter NEX-M and M-R

(click)

8497717945_47a3e5e185_z.jpg

8498820322_b7b03b34de_z.jpg

dierk

today in bright light with use of the finder, not easy with effective 150mm lens! If you use the magnifier the image starts to shake very much!

I wonder, how all the users of the very long lenses will do it in bright light (that you will need for the long lenses) and with the EVF, witch has less resolution than the Nex7! :confused:

NEX7 with Leica APO-Macro-Elmarit-R 100/2.8

with Adapter NEX-M and M-R

(click)

8497717945_47a3e5e185_z.jpg

8498820322_b7b03b34de_z.jpg

dierk

Hi Dierk,

Nice images with high micro contrast.

In my experience best and easily focused on with focus peaking.

On the NEX-7 my upper limit for handheld manual focusing seems to be about 200 mm FL.

So, effectively a 300 mm FL FOV. Beyond that I have to rely on a monopod or tripod.

A couple examples of handheld 200 mm focal length shots.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/nature-wildlife/272145-house-finch-color-matched.html

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/nature-wildlife/273257-mountain-winter-weather.html

• Like 1

R-lenses find a perfect companion in the NEX-7. I have used this combo for more than a year now.

Nikon mounts and full frame Nikon, D600, 700 or the killer D800.

Nothing wrong with crop body per say, but it is best used with smaller lighter easier to manage lenses made for that format.

Right now I am using 28 and 36 Leica pc lenses on Nikon, Fotodiox adapters.

Edited by tobey bilek

• 1 month later...

I just bought two R lenses (21-35 and 28-90) and an R6 - I already had the 80mm. I am also considering to have a digital camera to use them. Is NEX-7 the best (low cost) option for R lenses? How about NEX-5n?

Edited by magosak

I'm also interested in answers to that question.

I suspect the need for an EVF as well as the LCD is very desirable. The Nex7 has it, whereas the Nex5n lists it as 'optional extra'. Not sure how the costing balances out on that.

I think some of the features of the more expensive Nex7 are of no functional use on R lenses (manual) but paying for the extra EVF on the Nex5n may make the costing the same. Need to check that out.