M7 broken

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My M7 took a knock on the payement today as I rugby tackled a dog..

It wasn't a huge bump..The last few frames wound on and clicked as normal but now the camera doesn't meter, click or wind on a new film, it's dead basically. I just changed the battery with no joy.

I really don't want to be without the camera, the idea of sending it to Solms is fustrating..I wonder does any one have any DIY tips? it may be such a small thing as the camera works without electronics..I am annoyed with myself:(

Rugby-tackled a dog...?

Leaving that aside, the M7 will not work without a battery or electronics. You will have only one shutter speed (IIRC) - everything else is battery dependent.

If it won't wind on (which is mechanical of course), then it sounds like you have broken something and your only recourse is to get it to Solms - yours seems to have multiple failures. Most independent Leica technicians will not work on M7s.

Rugby-tackled a dog...?

Leaving that aside, the M7 will not work without a battery or electronics. You will have only one shutter speed (IIRC) - everything else is battery dependent.

If it won't wind on (which is mechanical of course), then it sounds like you have broken something and your only recourse is to get it to Solms - yours seems to have multiple failures. Most independent Leica technicians will not work on M7s.

Strange, the M7 is supposed to function at 1/60 and 1/125 without a battery.

I'd send it in for repair.

Edited by animalhairs

The last few frames wound on and clicked as normal but now the camera doesn't meter, click or wind on a new film, it's dead basically.

Winding on - This is a long shot, but the shutter might be stuck open. Turn the dial to 1/1000 then 1/125 and the release button should pop back up and the shutter will close to allow winding on.

Sorry to learn of your situation. BTW - if you did not get the finder and DX code reader upgrade, this might be a good time to do it.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Oh dear! I've contacted Leica...

At least the puppy's safe!.. I'd left a leg out of the harness and he was making a break for the road when it happened..

I've contacted Leica..I hope the repair won't take too long..the M7 comes everywhere with me..The Rollei TLR will have to become more than just a portrait camera in the mean time..and the Leica should go across my body not over the shoulder!

Thankyou for your replies.

Lucy