SDHC card size

dblrifle

I have successfully used at 16gb card (Sandisk). I am now using Panasonic cards, but have not run them in the M8, only in the M9.

I highly recommend the Pana cards; they're just more expensive. They are faster (!) in the M9; again, can't speak to the 8.

Regards, Bill

I have had no problems with 4 and 8 GB cards.

Two summers ago I lost half of Europe trip worth of images that were all on one 16GB card. The card failed. The camera was fine.

But the lesson I learned is to use many smaller cards, rather than fewer big cards. That way, if a failure happens, it will take down fewer images.

Thank all - I ,also,am a proponent of several smaller rather than one large card. I just felt 8GB was a pretty good compromise ,size and cost. The Sandisk's were purchased at Walmart so hope they are ok. I'm new to Leica digital (go back to 56 on Leica use) and totally new to SDHC cards. My digital to this time has been CF.

With the M8, the problem is not the capacity of the card or even the speed of the SDHC cards as I understand it. When I use anything over 8GB, the frame counter reads 999 until I shoot an undetermined number of images; certainly in the hundreds.

Only then does it show a count down. As card consumption goes, the 10mpxl M8 is pretty thrifty due to it's modest mpxl count compared to the other newer cameras on the market.

I have also found that anything faster than around 100x is a waste of money since that transfer rate exceeds the download rate of the camera. So, save your money and stay away from the super high transfer rate, very high capacity more expensive cards.

Any facts to the contrary would be appreciated.

Thank all - I ,also,am a proponent of several smaller rather than one large card. I just felt 8GB was a pretty good compromise ,size and cost...

I carry 4 8gb cards along with 2 4gb cards. I think it's best to "spread the wealth" when it comes to my images. I rotate the cards periodically and have never had an issue.

When I use anything over 8GB, the frame counter reads 999 until I shoot an undetermined number of images; certainly in the hundreds.

That’s what every camera with a three digit counter does – since it cannot display a four digit figure it shows ‘999’ until the actual number drops below 999.

Perhaps a hexadecimal number readout would be helpful, as there you can get up to the equivalent of 4095 with three digits (FFF).

I've never had as many as 200 shots on a card before off-loading them, so I'm fine with smaller capacity cards.

Edited by Dougg

The speed of the card, in use, may be more important than the largest size.

If you look at:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m9-sd-card-issues/

you will see that there are highly rated cards from Panasonic that are very fast in use. They are expensive and this may dictate the purchase: I see the 16GB card at about $70 and the 32GB at $124.

I use 3 of the 16GB card (purchased at a higher price than this, of course, what else is new).

Regards,

That’s what every camera with a three digit counter does – since it cannot display a four digit figure it shows ‘999’ until the actual number drops below 999.

A firmware upgrade to make it read in hex would solve it....:D

Honestly, I've decided to start using lower capacity cards. 16GB just feels like too many eggs in one basket.

Carl