M240 image of London by Christopher Tribble

k-hawinkler

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Chris,were you able to try the Olympus VF2 viewfinder on the M-typ240? If so, doesn't work on it? Rick Leica says that it appears to him that the tiny, skinny upright screw at the front of the Leica hot shoe is an obstacle to full insertion there of Olympus hot-shoe accessories, including the Olympus mic adapter as well.

Answered elsewhere, but yes, for the record, both the VF2 and the Oly mic adapter work perfectly - I have them both, the VF2 off ebay for around £100 and the mic off the web for £68!

Ok - I'm a cheapskate, but hey - I also know when I see value for money... :)

• Like 2

Sorry for what I say in a forum leica, but I think these shots are no better than those that produce cameras nikon / canon full frame.

I can not see the poetry of images leica, the Company now I just try sharpness and reduce noise. Long live M9 and MM.

I assume the VF-2 is the same as that found on the OM-D ?

Yes . . . BUT - what makes an EVF good is the signal from the camera - the OMD provides 60 or 120 fps . . . but the Leica M only 30. Of course, the pixel count is the same.

In the final analysis this means that the EVF on the M is excellent for measured shooting, but not so good for waggling a telephoto about or tracking a racing hare! You also have the excellent sensor based image stablisation on the OMD.

• Like 6

Sorry for what I say in a forum leica, but I think these shots are no better than those that produce cameras nikon / canon full frame.

I can not see the poetry of images leica, the Company now I just try sharpness and reduce noise. Long live M9 and MM.

Good news for Canon & Nikon users as they want be left far behind but even better news for M users as M lenses don't fit EOS or Nikon F mount and we know that those lenses are heart of the system.

Share your sentiment that M9 is/will remain excellent, once i get worth out of my M9 I will move on, key attraction for me are EVF capability (despite 30 fps - see post #45) and higher ISO performance.

Edited by mmradman

I wonder if Jono or Christopher could confirm that the magnified view in Live-View is scrollable, or is it centre of image only?

And comment on low light Live-View performance?

Hi There

It's central point only - but it's really very well implemented. I've never much used magnified view on my µ43 cameras (always irritated me). It just works well with the M. . . . but yes, not scrollable (5x or 10x however - with or without focus peaking).

all the best

Is it safe to assume the when working with an EVF on the M, one can use the

working aperture to work or does the process require one to focus wide open then

shoot closed down ?

Mark

Yes - absolutely - even in really quite low light the EVF is fine - It's just a bit slow for action.

Basically it will read-up until you half press the shutter, and then it'll show you the exposure (i.e what you're gonna get).

Of course it makes it great to use with lenses which have bad focus shift (1.5 Zeiss, 35 f1.4 Leica etc.).

• Like 1

Hi There

It's central point only - but it's really very well implemented. I've never much used magnified view on my µ43 cameras (always irritated me). It just works well with the M. . . . but yes, not scrollable (5x or 10x however - with or without focus peaking).

Jono, thanks.

Much as I feared, but really didn't want confirmed. Damn, could be a deal breaker.

I wonder if this could change with a firmware update?

Best

Keith

Jono, thanks.

Much as I feared, but really didn't want confirmed. Damn, could be a deal breaker.

Best

Keith

Scrollable focus zoom is a GREAT feature that I use ALOT, more than the focus peaking "sizzle effect" on my NEX...

Just guessing, but the fact that the feature isn't there on the new M may have something to do with the camera having no Auto focus selection spots, whereas your Live views with Olympus, Sony, and Fuji all are AF capable.

If you can check focus after the fact by zooming, I would hope it would be possible to do it beforehand as well, but that area of expertise is way above my pay grade.

Edited by Jaybob

Jono, thanks.

Best

Keith

yes lets hope this is only a firmware away...along with higher fps in video mode (at least 60fps @ 720p would be nice)

Nice job with the saxophone player photo. That's not easy at a 30th.

Which 135 lens are you using?

Using LR I white balanced in a few areas, 1st off of the microphone, then off of the beaded chain necklace he was wearing, getting a WB of around 2450 to 2700. The CMOS-y color appears to be pretty similar to the Nikon results at higher ISOs to my eye, although not breathtaking by any means. Nikon's colors above 2500 aren't jaw dropping great either....What contrast noise there is, I was able to knock down using a very low setting in Lightroom.

While I think it makes a far better BW pic, the visible banding under his left arm isn't encouraging.

Jay

Edited by Jaybob

I wonder if Jono or Christopher could confirm that the magnified view in Live-View is scrollable, or is it centre of image only?

And comment on low light Live-View performance?

A. I second everything that Jono has said.

B. In low light the EVF works remarkable well. I was able to nail focus with the 135 Apo-Telyt in light conditions which would have made me stop bothering with the M9.

As a general reflection, my experience with the EVF / Live view is that it works really well in contexts such as:

• macro
  • landscape (on or off tripod)
  • "portrait" contexts with a longer lens - including the 90 Apo-Cron (think of the video that Leica released with the M9 + 80-200 + live view in a model shoot
  • architecture (especially with a Shift lens)
  • nature (with slow moving or stationary subjects)

The one time I've found it to be problematic has been when working fairly close (like 4 or 5 metres) from a moving subject (in a theatre performance)... though I actually think that maybe the biggest problem was manual focus! In that situation if I want tight head shots then I'll stick with my 5D2 + 70-200 L f2.8 IS.

yes lets hope this is only a firmware away...along with higher fps in video mode (at least 60fps @ 720p would be nice)

I understand that neither is ‘just a firmware away’.

• Like 1

Nice job with the saxophone player photo. That's not easy at a 30th.

Which 135 lens are you using?

Using LR I white balanced in a few areas, 1st off of the microphone, then off of the beaded chain necklace he was wearing, getting a WB of around 2450 to 2700. The CMOS-y color appears to be pretty similar to the Nikon results at higher ISOs to my eye, although not breathtaking by any means. Nikon's colors above 2500 aren't jaw dropping great either....What contrast noise there is, I was able to knock down using a very low setting in Lightroom.

While I think it makes a far better BW pic, the visible banding under his left arm isn't encouraging.

Jay

Jay - 135 Apo-Telyt. You seem to have tried the same areas for WB as me... You can also try the mother of pearl on the sax keys - but none really work. It was vile light!

re banding, my experience is that it's well controlled in shadow areas if the exposure's OK. Push the DNG 5 stops and it's clearly there though at 6400. I'd rather it wasn't and hope that Leica can improve on this before release (and NB that Leica are stating that 6400 is a PUSH ISO setting. Also, PLEASE remember I've been working with a very early prototype with non final sensor calibration and firmware. My hope is that everything has to be a lot better in the final production version....

Hi There

all the best

That's too bad! :eek:

A couple of comments.

1. this was taken with a prototype body - later iterations will do a better job I'm sure

2. I understand it Leica view 6400 as a PUSH option on the M240.

Will I use it in the future - YES! My experience so far has been that for many REALLY low light situations it works very well, though correct exposure is critical.

Chris,

this is a very interesting picture showing the potential of the new sensor, actually to me it seems that is underexposed, may be by one stop or even more. If you convert it to black and white then it becomes even more obvious. How was it recorded, in auto mode or manually? In principle by using exposure correction by 1, 2 ore even 3 stops effective ISO settings up 51200 coulid be achieved. Have you tried that?

Thomas