The REAL M-240 sample images - congrats to Jono Slack

andybarton

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Unless I am missing something, none of the shots were taken wide open. Even the shot with the Noct was at f6.8 and the Lux at f4.0. I wonder why. The shots are stunning, but aren't these lenses meant to be shot wide open?

I know, I wonder why Leica even bother to stick aperture blades in the lenses, REAL Leica photographers never use them :rolleyes:

• Like 12

Thanks and congratulations to Jono for these marvellous images which give us a much better insight into the new camera's capabilities. Thanks too to Leica for agreeing to them being published which will give us something to savour until the camera is judged ready to go.

It's going to be an interesting time.

• Like 1

Unless I am missing something, none of the shots were taken wide open. Even the shot with the Noct was at f6.8 and the Lux at f4.0. I wonder why. The shots are stunning, but aren't these lenses meant to be shot wide open?

HI There Jack

Actually, the shot of the 'girl with the dog in the snow' was shot at f2 - but the pictures were chosen to show off the quality of the sensor rather than that of the photograph (if you see what I mean). So I tended to stop down a little for that reason.

I like shooting wide open as well, but perhaps it wasn't the best for this situation.

all the best

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Great news!!!

I preordered mine some 20 hours ago. I guess it will take some time to get it, but after seeing these photos I'm so glad I didn't wait.

Who knows what my position on waiting list would be had I waited for another day...

I ordered mine 141 days ago and can't wait.

I've just seen this thread and on an initial look I too was struck by the magenta coat - I feel that it is meant to be black...??

Thanks for showing these Jonathan :)

I have a question about the girl in the snow with the dog picture - Was the girls's coat black or is the colour of it accurate to how it was?

To me it looks a bit magenta very much like a M8 picture without the UVIR filter on the lens.

Regards Paul Mac

HI there guys - this has actually been asked before - you should see that coat taken with an M8 - it's bright purple! In fact, the coat is a kind of purply/blue (nasty colour IMHO). The IR sensitivity is just about exactly the same as the M9 (i.e. there is some, but not too much).

I hope this helps.

• Like 8

My initial squint in LR tells me that it is in the same ballpark as my 5D III and 24-70 II in most respects, but weaker at high ISO judging by the 6400 push DNG; however, firmware is the big variable here.

I suppose this means congrats to both Leica and Canon :) The 5D III and new 24-70 keeps pace with these Leica images even wide open and at low ISO. Yes. Really. But it also means that Leica has produced a portable 'small package' camera that can just about hang with the big boys when it comes to high ISO utility.

Looks like a promising start, tho the banding on the 6400 image looks rough, so it will be interesting to see images at 6400 from production models.

Bottom line is that I am on the waiting list for my first Leica DRF. The 5d III and 24-70 II is WAYYY too heavy to carry for hours on end in one hand shooting street!

Looks like a promising start, tho the banding on the 6400 image looks rough, so it will be interesting to see images at 6400 from production models.

Bottom line is that I am on the waiting list for my first Leica DRF. The 5d III and 24-70 II is WAYYY too heavy to carry for hours on end in one hand shooting street!

HI There - I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

As for the 6400 - that's why it's called 'push' - however, IMHO (that means not necessarily any body else's :)), as long as you expose properly 6400 is very useable.

Hi Jono,

First off all I want to thank you for the images provided and your review of the new M.

Can you give more details on this statement:

"Of course, being revolutionary it isn’t perfect – there is a little shutter lag, and the slower refresh rate for the EVF means that it isn’t really suitable for action photography. But a dSLR with AF is always going to be a better bet for sports photography."
What does shutter lag mean? When you press the trigger that it has a delay?

Cheers

Hello Jono,

Thank you for the pictures. The one with the dog and child in snow is excellent in showing some slight color moire and false color artifacts. What was the lens in that?

What about wide angle lenses and the sensors claimed ability to cope with them better than M9? Did you take any pictures with uncoded wide lenses to see how much color cast there is?

I'm the first one in line in the relevant camera shop (the one with the Leica corner....blah...) in Finland, interesting to see if I will get my camera at the same time as people in "more important" countries.

Hi Jono,

First off all I want to thank you for the images provided and your review of the new M.

Can you give more details on this statement:

What does shutter lag mean? When you press the trigger that it has a delay?

Cheers

Hi There

thanks for the thanks!

In Live View When you press the shutter, the camera has to close the shutter and charge the sensor and then open the shutter again - this takes a perceptible amount of time, which means that Live view isn't really ideal for action photography.

Please note - if live view is turned off, this doesn't happen, and the picture is taken very quickly.

I hope this helps

• Like 4

Hi John

an important question at last :). He was playing pool with his friend, and the pool chalk somehow got on the end of his nose. Obvious really :)

Not a sensor issue then! :)

Good to hear the coat isn't one either, not sure that a move back to IVUR filters would be the best idea. The other concern I had from earlier examples was the rendition of reds and skin tones, but they look fine here.

I particularly like the snow scenes, as photographs.

Hello Jono,

Thank you for the pictures. The one with the dog and child in snow is excellent in showing some slight color moire and false color artifacts. What was the lens in that?

Hah - now Emma will be really pleased! Mind you, she is quite small (it's my wife of more than 30 years).

This was taken with the 50 AA summicron wide open at f2. a fairly brutal weapon! I think it shows of the detail very well.

What about wide angle lenses and the sensors claimed ability to cope with them better than M9? Did you take any pictures with uncoded wide lenses to see how much color cast there is?

Yes indeed - I'm sorry there are no samples. It's much much better than the M9, although the CV 15 still produces some vignetting (as you might expect). Colour shift itself (i.e. with different colours on different sides) is not something I've seen at all - even doing silly things like manually coding a WATE as an 80/200 f4 R lens (yes, I've done things as silly as that!)

I'm the first one in line in the relevant camera shop (the one with the Leica corner....blah...) in Finland, interesting to see if I will get my camera at the same time as people in "more important" countries.

Good Luck!

• Like 2

My initial squint in LR tells me that it is in the same ballpark as my 5D III and 24-70 II in most respects, but weaker at high ISO judging by the 6400 push DNG; however, firmware is the big variable here.

LR, in my opinion anyway, also does not seem to be doing a very good job on noise here; that will probably improve a lot once there is specific support for the M-240 rather than generic DNG support.

Sandy

• Like 2

Very interesting

I had a play as if it was an M9 file and found it quite different (Okay only one picture so far) when converting to B&W I ended up dropping the exposure and upping the white slider to keep the dynamic range but drop the high white level on the face. I was very impressed with the ISO performance at 2,500, better than the M9 at 1000 my usual 'pick' when struggling for light.

These files do look more competitive with my Nikon D800E’s files than my M9P’s files (in a good way). I just printed the tomato corner of the bread photo at 300dpi (for evaluation purposes only), and it’s got really nice color, tonality and detail. Thanks for the opportunity to play with these Jono, though I can see it’s going to cost me and profit Leica.

PS. I really like Moab Colorado Fiber Satine Paper, and recommend it to anyone who likes a semigloss inkjet paper. It looks a lot like the surface of an old fashioned, air dried, gelatin silver, glossy fiber paper: not too shiny, subtly textured.

• Like 3

Thanks for making these available,Jono. They help shed a little light on the sensor

One little nitpik if you could confirm,svp..

The snow scene with trees and blue sky (jpeg version only) seems to not be too terribly sharp.

If I were a betting man i would suggest that the image is not focussed on the trees but rather the

snow in the extreme foreground on the bottom left.

Detail is extremely sharp here but seemingly off in the trees.

Was this shot as in-camera jpeg or Raw-> jpeg in post?

Also,for images using 135mm were you using camera rangefinder or accessory EVF ?

Thanks again,

Mark

Mark Tomalty Fine Art and Stock Photography