Does the X1 & X2's ASPH lens made by glass or resin?

shaozhuohong

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When you say X1/2 it's made in Portugal you are not talking out of your arse, are you?Mine says it's made in Germany, and it also has Wolfgang's signature...

Looks like the X1/2 haters cant accept the fact that those two cameras have great IQ, and in some cases they are better that M9

Nice attitude.

Leica can stamp 'Made in Germany' on the camera as the final assembly is carried out there, but the body, sensor, electrics and AFAIK lens are made elsewhere.

The images I've seen from the X1 look great. That's not the topic here. I'm pretty sure that Andy owns an X1.

• Like 1

When you say X1/2 it's made in Portugal you are not talking out of your arse, are you?Mine says it's made in Germany, and it also has Wolfgang's signature...

Looks like the X1/2 haters cant accept the fact that those two cameras have great IQ, and in some cases they are better that M9

No, I am not talking out of my arse and, frankly, don't take too kindly to suggestions that I am. The M9 is substantially made in Portugal. As is the S2, M7, MP and, get over it, the X1 and X2.

As James says, ONLY final assembly, just enough to keep within EU law, is done in Germany.

I own an X1. If you work with it and accept its limitations, it's a fine little camera. The quality of the files is second to none. Mine has had its firmware issues, but I'm very happy with the quality of what gets recorded on the SD card.

Who is Wolfgang?

• Like 1

"The legal basis for the application of the label is not exactly defined, but broadly a product with the label “Made in Germany” must fulfill the following requirements:

Those services and components which are crucial to the quality and valuation of the goods must have been performed or manufactured in Germany. The description “Made in Germany” is not justified by simply assembling parts that have been prefabricated abroad, carrying out a final inspection or labeling the goods in Germany. On the other hand, some parts or components of an industrial product may certainly be supplied from abroad, but the essential parts of the final product must always originate in Germany. A significant refinement may justify the description “Made in Germany”, but here too the above statement still applies: the refinement must be crucial to the quality and valuation of the product."

Leica X1/2 is not made in Portugal.

I work for Boeing in Renton Washington, and while we use parts made allover the world, including RR engines, Boeing planes are made in the USA, not in Italy or UK!

Nice attitude.

Leica can stamp 'Made in Germany' on the camera as the final assembly is carried out there, but the body, sensor, electrics and AFAIK lens are made elsewhere.

The images I've seen from the X1 look great. That's not the topic here. I'm pretty sure that Andy owns an X1.

dude, your arse is talking yet again!

• Like 1

Dude, I think you should watch the video of the M9 assembly and see how much is assembled outside Germany before its final assembly in Solms.

To all intents and purposes the X1 and 2 will be in the same boat.

The vast majority of assembly of Leica cameras is in Portugal, with enough being done in Germany to legally claim the writing on the camera, unless they are the Panasonic derivatives in which case they are made in Asia.

I would commend to you a factory tour in Solms, where you will be able to see for yourself what is done to complete the camera bodies from pre-assembled components delivered from Portugal. Some of the components are made in Germany, some will be locally sourced in Portugal, and some are made in the US (in the case of the M9). X1 and X2 sensors are most likely made in Japan.

Edited by andybarton
  • Like 2

Leica X1/2 is not made in Portugal.

Oh yes it is. Why do you have such a problem accepting this? It's hardly as if it is an issue. It's common practice in many industries to do only enough of the final fix in a country to get the sticker. I for one would rather have products made by experienced staff who have been doing it for years. Portugal has been making Leicas since when the X1 was a rocket plane.

Speaking of which...

I work for Boeing in Renton Washington...

Shouldn't you be fixing Dreamliners rather than worrying about where Leicas are made?

Regards,

Bill

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

...As far as I know, the glass of leica lens are made by Schott, and theose glasses final assembles in leica factory....

Schott is but one of Leica's suppliers of optical glass elements. They use other suppliers, too, some of which are located in Japan, such as Hoya and Kyocera for example. The famous MATE Tri-Elmar went out of production because Hoya no longer supplied on of the optical elements to Leica. And before you ask, this is first hand information, not hearsay.

Andy

• Like 3

Oh yes it is. Why do you have such a problem accepting this? It's hardly as if it is an issue. It's common practice in many industries to do only enough of the final fix in a country to get the sticker. I for one would rather have products made by experienced staff who have been doing it for years. Portugal has been making Leicas since when the X1 was a rocket plane.

Speaking of which...

Shouldn't you be fixing Dreamliners rather than worrying about where Leicas are made?

Regards,

Bill

Why do you all have such a problem accepting that X2 is made in Germany? All of the facts you have to support your statement is that M9 is mostly made in Portugal, so X2 surely must be the same....

Btw, the Dreamliner is not made at the Renton plant.

Personally, I have no problem _wherever_ the X1 or X2 is made.

But wishing it were 100% made in Germany doesn't make it so. None of Leica's fine cameras are 100% made in Germany.

Why do you believe that the X1/2 is any different?

• Like 2

Personally, I have no problem _wherever_ the X1 or X2 is made.

But wishing it were 100% made in Germany doesn't make it so. None of Leica's fine cameras are 100% made in Germany.

Why do you believe that the X1/2 is any different?

I never stated that it was 100% German. The camera was designed and hand assembled in Germany. Having some of the parts made elsewhere does not make it Portuguese or Japanese made!

Edited by s38

I think that you are missing the point

No one has ever said that all the components are made in Portugal, or Germany, or anywhere else.

What is being told to you is that the majority of the assembly of variously sourced components is done in Portugal for ALL Leica cameras (expect the Panasonic variants). Final assembly of various pre-built parts, is done in Germany, including (for the M9), things like installing the sensor and fitting the top plate. The "tricky" bits.

Frankly, I don't care whether you believe what you are being told or not.

I think that you are missing the point

No one has ever said that all the components are made in Portugal, or Germany, or anywhere else.

What is being told to you is that the majority of the assembly of variously sourced components is done in Portugal for ALL Leica cameras (expect the Panasonic variants). Final assembly of various pre-built parts, is done in Germany, including (for the M9), things like installing the sensor and fitting the top plate. The "tricky" bits.

Frankly, I don't care whether you believe what you are being told or not.

I definitively refuse to believe what I am told by you and other people on this forum, no offence.

No one is making this up. Why would anyone here lie to you?

My dealer confirmed it to me when I bought my X1 last year. My contribution to you is now done as I have better things to do with my life

And, please, leave the offensive responses in the playground where they belong. Thanks

Edited by andybarton
  • Like 1

I recall a similar thread when the x1 was introduced. My memory of that thread (which went longer and perhaps a little more rancorous than this thread) is that to be able to say that a camera is "Made in Germany" something more than assembly is required.

Whether the Lens or Camera or both were made in Germany Portugal or Timbuktu makes no difference to me or to the quality of the images.

• Like 5