LEICA : Lens Restoration Service

carlprad

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello

Is it possible to have a LEICA lens restored.

I know that many people offer CLA service. However, some of my lenses have had much of the anodized black-finish removed over the years.

I was wondering if anyone has ever been able to restore the black anodizing, or if they know of a service agent that can?

Also, is there a product that can be used to restore the "black" surfaces that have worn-off the lenses over time?

Thanks.

Anodizing is an electro-chemical process under careful control, and I haven't seen anyone offering the service for lens parts.

MicroTools sells a blackening agent that chemically darkens aluminum, and I've used it on worn edges of lens knurling, and it makes it look better - dark grey if not black. After cleaning the surface you wet the area with the solution and keep it wet as it reacts with the aluminum. I've used a Q-tip swab for this on assembled lenses with good result.

I haven't had any lenses with large areas needing treatment - so your results may vary...

• Like 1

Bill

I am in the USA.

I have looked at those repair people.

However, non of them advertise "Lens restorations".

More specifically, as mentioned in my original post, I need someone who can restore the "black" anodized color, to my LEICA R lenses.

Thanks

You can try to have them painted black. It is a rather specialized discipline and I don't know who does it in the States, But afaik CRR in the UK and Shintaro in Japan will paint lenses (If you are a patient man, in the case of Shintaro very patient.)

• Like 1

Yes, how many years did someone wait for their M to be painted & returned by Shintaro?

My advice would be to leave your lenses alone if they are optically good. There is something nice about well used fully functioning gear. Antique dealers love patina!

To restore a lens would probobly mean complete disassembly, and they may not be the same afterwards.

If you have patience and the wear is not too great, this will improve things with enough applications Birchwood Casey Aluminium Black Metal Finish 3oz | eBay

The technique is get as clean as possible, I use a cloth with lens cleaning fund, getting all of the enground dirt off the lens, you'll be surpised how much better it will look and it takes time. You are basically wiping with a damp (lens cleaning fluid) cloth and not allowing fluid to be drawn into the lens.

Then several applications of aluminium black with a bud, wait 1-2 mins, wipe with a damp (water) cloth and reapply. You will be surprised how much better it will look after a little while, not instant but it doesn't affect or mark the original anodising and does chemically treat the areas of wear. You will need patience :cool:

• Like 1

Sure you can sell them. What he doesn't know won't hurt him. Dump the lenses and get better ones. They are just mechanical objects.

James

The lenses were given me as a gift, by my father.

I cannot sell them.

So, I'm hoping someone can help me figure out a way to restore them.

Thanks

But perhaps you are missing the point in that it will hurt the OP.

I don’t think he is missing the point – given the nature of some of his past postings, it is more likely that he is simply trying to be offensive.

About a decade ago, I was attending a Leica Historica fair in Germany, and a dealer spotted the presence of a screw-mount 35mm f2.8 Summaron on my camera. He indicated that he would be most keen to purchase it. When I said “It was my father’s”, he immediately apologised for having made the offer, saying that to sell such a lens would be unthinkable.

Best regards,

Doug

• Like 2