Inspirational Photographers- B&W

kenneth

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Li Zhensheng

I was at a reunion recently with some old photographer mates from my time in the Navy with the Marines. We got talking about our time in Hong Kong (1969-1971) and how every morning at HMS Tamar there was a work party assigned to retrieve the bloated and mutilated bodies that had come down the Pearl River overnight. Not a pleasant site or smell! We used to photograph the bodies for ID and documentation for what was happening under the Cultural Revolution.

One of the guys mentioned he had seen an exhibition of Li Zhensheng's photographs which he took during the period but then had to hide them under the floorboards of his apartment for many years.

Fascinating story and insight in to what was going on at the time. I have ordered the book.

• 2 weeks later...

Stanley Greene - Fragments

Stanley Greene - Noor Images

He also uses one of the best printers around currently - Nathalie Lopparelli

I have been in touch with Marco and he a bit busy currently so I have the Excel file and will update it. I will also work my way through and add web links for the photographers as a starting point for those who do not know of their work.

Unfortunately some do not have a web site - David Bailey (English one) springs to mind - but I ill try to provide a good link in those cases.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
I always wanted a copy of James Ravilious' book "An English eye". I recently bought one albeit a reprint. Very inspirational and shot on old Leicas and uncoated optics. http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/26/49c956ee8c8b5b750d6d4a03869d1c8c.jpg

Welcome to the forum John. James Ravilious is one of my favourite photographers. Theere's a lovely film about him on Youtube somewhere. It could be this one.

Yes it is, and I'm enjoying it again!

Pete

Edited by Stealth3kpl

I would separate out photographers who have influenced me from the inspirational ones, and the most truly inspirational was one of the people who taught me and who I learned directly from, Thomas Joshua Cooper

Thomas Joshua Cooper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.artnet.com/artists/thomas-joshua-cooper/

Steve

Edited by 250swb
  • Like 1