Question for NEX-7 users re M-wide lenses

MarkP

No, the upgrade only works on native E-mount lenses. I may not bother to upgrade as I only use M lenses on my NEX-7. FYI my 24/2.8 Elmarit M lens shows no issues on the NEX, the only lens that exhibits purple color-shift is the CV 15.

It's only the rangefinder lenses that have issues on the NEX, your nephew has R-mount so should have no problems at all. The R 16mm looks like an excellent lens for that body at 24mm equivalent FL. :)

• Like 1

No, the upgrade only works on native E-mount lenses. I may not bother to upgrade as I only use M lenses on my NEX-7. FYI my 24/2.8 Elmarit M lens shows no issues on the NEX, the only lens that exhibits purple color-shift is the CV 15.

It's only the rangefinder lenses that have issues on the NEX, your nephew has R-mount so should have no problems at all. The R 16mm looks like an excellent lens for that body at 24mm equivalent FL. :)

Thanks Peter, I should have known the R wides would be OK.

We tested all of my M-mount wide angle lenses on his NEX-7 from 21 through to 35mm, all causing red edgeing - a shame really as I have a number of CV or ZM lenses he could have had.

He picked up two older 35 and 50 R-Summicrons with a Novoflex adapter. The results are spectacular, especially the 35 Summicron with it's very close focusing. I'll start looking for an R-16 to 21.

Mark

Edited by MarkP

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My WATE 16-18-21 doesn't show a red edge on my NEX-7.

However my 21/2.8, 28/2, and 28/2.8 do show a red edge.

I didn't test carefully my 35/1.4 or 35/2 and take your word for it.

A second opinion or useful links regarding 35mm M or ZM lenses on a NEX camera would be very much apprreciated.

To repeat what I posted in #2, my Leica 24/2.8 Elmarit M lens shows no color shift on the NEX-7. My Leica 35/2 ASPH has no issues either. Both are on the Novoflex adapter. The pic below is from the 35 Summicron ASPH and is full frame.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

A second opinion or useful links regarding 35mm M or ZM lenses on a NEX camera would be very much apprreciated.

I have posted red edge test images before.

Here http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/2032652-post46.html both the Leica 28/2 and 28/2.8 exhibit some color cast.

Here http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/2033391-post51.html the WATE at 16 mm doesn't, but the 21/2.8 does show a color cast.

Further down in that thread http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/2084202-post103.html ravinj shows two WATE images without a red edge. He also shows three more equally unaffected images here Nex-7 + Leica WATE: Sony NEX Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review.

Also, now quoting from Luminous Landscape Sony NEX-7 Rolling Review :

"Leica Wide Tri-Elmar 16-18-21mm

One other type of lens is worth analysing; the retrofocus non-DSLR wide angle. The example that I have available is the Leica 16mm-18mm-21mm Tri-Elmar. Below are shots taken a few seconds apart on the NEX-7. These make it clear that there is no lens cast visible with this type of lens."

So, I updated my NEX-7 to Firmware v1.01.

One of the improvements listed Sony firmware for E-mount lenses, NEX-7, SLT-A37, A57, A65 and A77: Digital Photography Review is:

• Improvement of image quality when using a wide angle lens.

Unfortunately that doesn't seem to apply to my Leica WA lenses.

Following are some tests I did with my NEX-7 and Firmware v1.01.

For my lenses I took images from wide open to f/5.6 and picked that image that to my eyes showed the most red edge.

I show results for 35, 28, 21, 18, and 16 mm, but not 24 mm, as I don't own a Leica 24 mm lens.

Here goes:

35/1.4 Summilux-M ASPH

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

35/2 Summicron-M ASPH

28/2 Summicron-M ASPH

28/2.8 Elmarit-M ASPH

21/2.8 Elmarit-M ASPH

21/4 Wide Angle Tri-Elmar-M ASPH (WATE)

18/4 Wide Angle Tri-Elmar-M ASPH (WATE)

16/4 Wide Angle Tri-Elmar-M ASPH (WATE)

You be the judge.

• Like 2

Or CornerFix or a a quick'n'dirty action programmed for Photoshop.

It might be a nuisance for somebody who shoots loads of pictures with one of those lenses that produce the violet corners on the NEX-7. It's not that much of a problem when you only occasionally shoot a superwide M-lens.

Some basic facts have to be kept in mind:

- SLR-lenses do not produce a colour-shift.

- (Most) rangefinder lenses with 35mm FL or longer do not produce a colour-shift.

- Some rangefinder lenses with 28mm or 24mm FL do produce a colour-shift. Others don't.

- Most rangefinder lenses below 24mm FL do produce a colour-shift. Only some don't.

It has not only to do with the focal length, but also with the lens design and the format the lens was calculated for.

• Like 2

Does the NEX 7 provide sharp images in the corners with Leica wides? Such as the 21/2.8 asph, and 35/2 asph. ? :confused:

I thought only the Ricoh GXR could do that with its microleneses, the micro 4/3 Panasonic I had wouldn't do it with anything less than 50mm if you are critical

Gerry

Depends on whats typical for you I suppose :rolleyes:

In my case the top corners are usually sky so not much of a problem, but the bottom corners might well have some marigolds or a bit of rock, and I'd like them sharp :)

Otherwise I could have stuck with the 20mm Flektogon I once tried on a Pentax, where the corners never got sharp before diffraction set in :(

Gerry

Does the NEX 7 provide sharp images in the corners with Leica wides? Such as the 21/2.8 asph, and 35/2 asph. ? :confused:
I don't really look at corner sharpness but I haven't noticed anything untoward with my 24 or 35 ASPH lenses with the NEX-7. The pic of Holder Hall in post #8 above is full frame and the corners look OK to me.

Depends on whats typical for you I suppose :rolleyes:

In my case the top corners are usually sky so not much of a problem, but the bottom corners might well have some marigolds or a bit of rock, and I'd like them sharp :)

Gerry

All corners are important to me. I have found that the Ricoh GXR with CV 15 mm and 24 Elmar lenses can produce sharp corners without any obvious signs of colour artifacts. I would still take its ability to get the best out of wide angle lenses to be more of a determining factor than the fact that its sensor is dated in comparison to the NEX-7.

• Like 1