strange artifact..

brill64

Advertisement (gone after registration)

this strange artifact has started to appear on my images..

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

bottom right corner crop..

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I couldn’t say I’ve ever seen something like that before. A cluster of stuck pixels maybe (assuming it is present in all of your images and always at the same spot)? Your sensor hasn’t been hit by a laser by any chance?

Oh, the large wooden yacht. Yes, it appears in many of my photos, too, which is most disconcerting when doing interior architecture.

Seriously, I've not seen that before, either. The fringe area puzzles me most. I look forward to finding out what it is.

By the way, if the artifact appears on every photo in the very same place, there is a Photoshop action that can patch it automatically.

it appears on every image at exactly the same spot but not always white so i think it's probably not dead pixels. it lightens whatever's at that spot with the darker edge which appears not exactly spherical, more of an octahedron with straight edges. lenses used were both tri-elmars with a pop of flash but i don't think it's lens related. i'm going to give the sensor a wet clean & see what happens..thanks for your input..will keep you posted.

• Like 1

Have a magnified look at your sensor first. If it is a glob of whatever you do not want to drag it all over the place and might want to have it cleaned professionally.

Wild fantasy: A sunburn hole in the (plastic) microlenses?

I doubt it is dust because if you stop light getting to the sensor, like a great big blob of dust might, you don't just record a shadow as with 99% of dust, you get black. This is white.

Steve

I thought of that as well, but it would show up as a stripe.

Hi again,

Perhaps, but not necessarily. If there is a pinhole and it is really a pin hole, it my allow enough exposure to create the spot while at rest, the added exposure during the shutter travel would be insignificant and not show up. But then again, this is also conjecture and the OP should have the camera checked by a Leica repair technician.

Jean-Michel

thank you for all your useful comments. after a a good dust out with a rocket blower, a wet clean with two strokes back & forth followed by a full afternoon's shooting, the artefact has completely gone. it seemed to appear after a previous sensor wet clean by myself which may have left some residue or yeast bacterial growth of some sort behind over the following shoot (a home interior feature which was the houseboat example posted). it's very hot & humid here at the moment & that could have had an effect. fortunately no repairs required this time. many thanks again to all.