Survey: Your opinion about the new LEICA M MONOCHROM

LUF Admin

What do you think about the LEICA M MONOCHROM?  

1,488 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about the LEICA M MONOCHROM?

• Perfect camera for me! Where can I order?
    • I'd like to have one but too expensive...
    • Sounds interesting but nothing for me
    • Not interested
    • What a weird idea by Leica...

If this camera had come out 6 months or more ago, I would have immediately gone out and ordered it. Now, with the M10 of (mostly) unknown specification looming, I'm inclined to wait 4 months. I may still get one, but I'll make a decision later.

Henning

I'm inclined to wait 4 months. I may still get one, but I'll make a decision later.

Not exactly 4 months because the M9M will only be available on Aug.28 according to B&H but ... the M10 could make us wait longer even if it's announced at the Kina'12.

To me it seems a wonderful idea but really need to try it first with a bunch of filters. What worries me most is that it could be like deciding to only ever use one film in my M6 and never ever change ... what if I don't like that film! I think this point prevents a mindless purchase (M9 is a mindless purchase, if you can, just get one), I couldn't order an M9M until I actually use it. So all the collectors will get their orders in and it would probably take me 12 months from now to get my hands on one.

Processing in Silver Efex ... well part of the film simulation is spectral response that is estimated from the colour data, so of course that cannot be achieved, leaves only the grain and overall contrast.

Phase One made a mono back, probably the only point of comparison until we can get hold of a test unit.

At least we have physical confirmation that Leica is working with True Image or whatever Kodak is now called.

• Like 5

While the orange filter in the M9 Monochrom shot darkened the blue sky, it also darkened and muddied up the white clouds. With Tri-X film, the filter darkened the blue sky but left the white clouds a puffy bright white.

You did not use an orange filter as evinced by the contrast, and you also overexposed.

ADMIN: Vote and tell us your opinion in this thread!

With respect, there should be a more gentle transition from #1 to #3. #1 seem rather maniacal.

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

I would love to get hold of this camera. I can treat the sensor as if it were black and white film and use the appropriate colour filters over the lens e.g. Red filter to intensify skies and delineate clouds. I used a phase one achromatic back on my V series hasselblads and found this great. A M leica equivalent would be fantastic because of the portability of the leicas and the quality of their lenses. :)

• Like 5

I want one and I'll get one. But the purchase may have to wait until it shows up on the used market at around $5,000. Until then, I'll be converting my M9 files.

As for the 50 Summicron APO ASPH... well all of a sudden my old 50 Summicron looks good and the previously "absolutely perfect" 50 Summilux looks like a bargain.

• Like 1

If this camera had come out 6 months or more ago, I would have immediately gone out and ordered it. Now, with the M10 of (mostly) unknown specification looming, I'm inclined to wait 4 months. I may still get one, but I'll make a decision later.

Henning

I'm in the same place...wait and see what the M10 offers first, I won't be getting both...

For me the MM is more appealing than the M10. For the most part the M9 does everything I need. What the MM does for me is allow me to retire my M7, and go completely digital. Sorry conversions don't make it for me, not enough DR.

• Like 4

I think this is a hugely attractive camera.

The things I like about it, just from reading:

1). The performance that is implied by the new sensor, given the claims about detail and tonal range are correct

2). The high ISO range

3). The innovation of the idea, which is very Leica

As someone who normally only works in colour, this could draw me into B&W (or possibly B&H but I don't think I can afford it..:eek:) as the promise of high performance introduces a range of creative possibilities and thoughts that I just don't find when using conversions or B&W film.

The only thing I don't like about it is the camera's appearance, which is too dull, IMHO. For me, something with this level of performance and innovation should be trumpeting its prescence, at least with a nice bit of titanium and something to make it stand out just a little from the crowd :cool:

Edited by robert_parker
  • Like 6

I'm sorry Pico, were you standing next to me when I made that shot.

No. I thought not. Then your apology is accepted.

For your RUDE information, I used a B+W #22 Red-Orange filter on that shot to be exact (Leica does not mention what orange filter they used) and I don't consider my shot overexposed. It is exposed exactly as I wanted it to be. If you look at the walls of the cathedral and the walls of the castle, the exposure is quite close as both were shot in direct sunlight.

Red-orange is not orange, and by the image posted, it is indeed over-exposed by my standard. So you like bleached or blown highlights. That's okay by me.

As to the rest, if you find my post rude, then me thinks it is your problem.

• Like 2

Red-orange is not orange, and by the image posted, it is indeed over-exposed by my standard. So you like bleached or blown highlights. That's okay by me.

As to the rest, if you find my post rude, then me thinks it is your problem.

Apology accepted, have a nice evening.

• Like 1