Hi Leica Users, I would like your opinion on...

Linkasf

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everyone! I don't mean to disturb you all here! But I'm just wondering, if I were to choose a camera that is high ended, what brand of camera would you suggest for me to buy. I would like a short explanation of why you would choose one brand over there other.

The brands that come to mind are Leica, Canon, Sony, and Nikon.

Thanks for the replies!

I hope that this is the right section for asking such a question! Thanks!

Most people who buy cameras of this caliber know if they want a rangefinder Leica M or SLR. Since you mention Nikon, I assume you find SLR design acceptable. The new S2 is a nice SLR design from Leica, really really nice top drawer.

Or are you talking consumer grade cameras? Leica does sell some pictured in the banner at the top X1 D-Lux 5 V-Lux 2. Over priced rebadged Japanese cameras in my opinion. Oh they may have a few tweeks, but not worth it.

My other cameras aside from Leica are Nikon pro cameras.

Your question is so broad as there is no concise answer. What is important to you, cost, size,weight, image quality, durability, travelability. YOU don`t get it all in one camera.

• Like 1

Depends what you want from it and how you want to use your camera.

I suggest you read one of the many Leica vs reviews to understand the pros and cons,

most people on this forum have made that decision, ditto the Nikon forum for example.

Some will have both, but again for different reasons. Try the same question about cars on a Porsche forum / Ferrari forum / etc you'll get my drift

• Like 2

Try the same question about cars on a Porsche forum / Ferrari forum / etc you'll get my drift

Pun intended? :D

Back to Linkasf's question (welcome to the forum btw!), you really need to go to a shop and hold cameras of different brands and try SLRs vs rangefinders. Only that way can you come to a conclusion regarding which system to buy into.

I respectfully believe that it is not the right approach when buying a camera to just get a "high ended" camera. Talented photographers take great pictures with simple point and shoot cameras.

That said, if you really want to stand out among your mates with a cool camera, get this one. Or do what Dimitriy Medvedev did and get the S2 and a couple of lenses.

cheers

philip

Edited by philipus
  • Like 2

It's not a question of brand names, you may as well ask what car should you buy! What are your particular needs? Or are you just after some bling!

Also, why ask such a question on a brand specific forum? What answer would you most likely expect to receive if you went on a BMW forum and just asked 'what brand of car should I buy' ?

If your question is genuine do tell us more about your photography and requirements.

Edited by earleygallery
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

as this is a Leica-Forum the answer is clear: buy a Hasselblad H4D-60 because size matters.

LOL! Well, I'd say a 4x5 Linhof Super Technica V with both left and right anatomical grips and the Biogon 75mm lens, with shade and finder. And a horse decked out in medieval horse armor. OK, a golf cart to carry it.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply everyone!

Well the reason I'm asking is that I know that Canon, Nikon, Sony are easily brands that come to mind when buying cameras. I want to know what would make one buy a Leica, which is an amazing German brand, against those Japanese brands? I can imagine maybe it's because of some extra features here and there, but I want to know what defines the Leica experience? I really love the old designs of the Leica cameras that I've looked into recently, but I want to know what makes it worth the price Vs lets say a high ended Nikon. Like how much difference in the resolution would make one camera superior to the other.... I wish I could give examples of such camera versus such camera, but I'm really new to this :confused:.

And yes I understand why you would mention cars in this, and I totally agree with you. But I want to know, what is a major factor that would get one to buy a Leica over let's say a Canon.

Thanks again!

Fewer features make it more expensive. The M series is a minimalistic, handmade camera and that determines the price. Resolution is for 98% of the users one of the least interesting parameters, as long as it is sufficient for purpose.

Edited by jaapv
  • Like 4

Thanks for the reply everyone!

Well the reason I'm asking is that I know that Canon, Nikon, Sony are easily brands that come to mind when buying cameras. I want to know what would make one buy a Leica, which is an amazing German brand, against those Japanese brands? I can imagine maybe it's because of some extra features here and there, but I want to know what defines the Leica experience? I really love the old designs of the Leica cameras that I've looked into recently, but I want to know what makes it worth the price Vs lets say a high ended Nikon. Like how much difference in the resolution would make one camera superior to the other.... I wish I could give examples of such camera versus such camera, but I'm really new to this :confused:.

And yes I understand why you would mention cars in this, and I totally agree with you. But I want to know, what is a major factor that would get one to buy a Leica over let's say a Canon.

Thanks again!

Probably the same reason why we all like different women/men... Because we like them and we feel comfortable with them and they make us a better person... or to be specific, a better photographer.

There is also an issue of affordability... But I will not go there...

• Like 1

Many photographers have commented about the differences. The most obvious

1. Size
  2. manual skill 'perected old shool minimalist functionality vs complex automated menu's that often lead to never 'hitting' the shot or being really in control.
  3. Lens quality, no one really consistently competes at the same level with Leica glass wide open
  4. You need to coinsider more picture/image/look less pixel peep for the Leica benefits

Think Porsche RS vs Nissan GTR. The function list doesn't cover the experience.

Regarding image quality I find more Leica shots I 'like' than Canon/Nikon/Sony. I also want to shoot with my Leica

• Like 1

If actual use goes into the equation – then the first question is, what KIND of camera do you need/want? A SLR camera? A compact autofocus camera? A large format field camera? A medium format camera? A rangefinder camera?

If your interests include the very far away and/or the very close and small, choose a SLR.

If you want a small and very automatic point-and-shoot, choose a compact.

If you are interested in landscapes, rural and urban, choose a field camera.

If you are into fashion or at-home lifestyle reportage, it's a medium format camera.

If you want to capture the flow of life while being up to your knees in it, it's a rangefinder.

Now if you have chosen one of the first four categories, then you can start asking about brands. If the last one, the case is closed because there is only one 'high-ender' and that is the Leica M.

If you want the 'braggingest' camera then it either a Leica M9 with a 50mm Noctilux lens, or a Leica S2 with the new 24mm, but only a select clique of cognoscenti will understand what you are bragging about.

LB

• Like 1

I have shot (D)SLR from 1988 till 2010, but jumped into the rangefinder. I can say: I did not doubt my choice to go from Nikon D3 to Leica M9 for a second. The way i started working with the M9 is much more the way i did when i started with photography back in the late eighties (Praktica MTL3) and that is the way i feel comfortable with. The D3 had became a P&S to me, that was my fault, not the D3.

I did not change because of IQ issues, but just because i wanted to experience photography in a slow way. No hurry, no rush.

The handeling of the M9 is perfect to me, batterylife is shorter than is was used to, but that can be solved with some extra batteries. The LCD screen is not as good as the one on the D3, but i don't really care. I switched off the auto review mode, i prefer to see my "catch of the day" at home. Manual focusing feels good, love RF system, manual metering..... it all adds so much to my joy of photography!

I now travel light, obtrusive an i feel more involved in making a photograph then i felt over the last years. The Leica rangefinder has brought back the joy i less or more lost over the last years.

I'm not a pro, just an average photographer who love to make photographs of my travel, streetscenes and and of whatever comes my way. I only use my M body and don't want to shoot with another system.

I'm very fortunate with my choice but i know that will always be a personal thing.

Thank you Leica for giving me back my joy on photography! You give my photo's a beautiful fingerprint, the perfect DNA, the Leica glow.

• Like 2

Another to engrave in gold.
Indeed, but initially I read:
If you want to capture the flow of life while being up to your knees in shit, it's a rangefinder.

The mysterious workings of the human mind ;)

The relatively very young man who hopes that Lars will again add some snippets of wisdom to his postings, as we are all expecting.

If actual use goes into the equation – then the first question is, what KIND of camera do you need/want? A SLR camera? A compact autofocus camera? A large format field camera? A medium format camera? A rangefinder camera?

If your interests include the very far away and/or the very close and small, choose a SLR.

If you want a small and very automatic point-and-shoot, choose a compact.

If you are interested in landscapes, rural and urban, choose a field camera.

If you are into fashion or at-home lifestyle reportage, it's a medium format camera.

If you want to capture the flow of life while being up to your knees in it, it's a rangefinder.

Now if you have chosen one of the first four categories, then you can start asking about brands. If the last one, the case is closed because there is only one 'high-ender' and that is the Leica M.

If you want the 'braggingest' camera then it either a Leica M9 with a 50mm Noctilux lens, or a Leica S2 with the new 24mm, but only a select clique of cognoscenti will understand what you are bragging about.

LB

Thanks everyone :)

I think I have a better picture (no pun intended :p) on what kind of camera I would like! The first category is the one that I had in mind actually! So what brand would you suggest does that best? I know I've heard and read that Leica cameras are especially great at taking street pictures! But that first category is what I want, especially when I go on vacation! So would a Leica do the trick as good if not better than other brands available?

Edit- One more question, I've been trying to understand what is range finder? Is it best on Leica cameras (that use the function) or are there other brands that are comparable?

Edited by Linkasf