Leitz 800mm f6.3 Telyt-S ... arrived today

Advertisement (gone after registration)

And now Luigi, does it works ?

Would like to see a pict taken with your combo.

Thanks

JC,

Have a look at the second photo here http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/landscape-travel/203525-top-majestic-peak.html

Very impressive.

Cheers, K-H.

• Like 1

Always from mountain... given my position, subject, and 1:25000 map, I was 5,5 Km far from Tucketthutte... air RATHER clean but not perfect, and you can spot a person standing right to the hut (jpg... the original DNG is much more detailed)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7

Just for the record...:) this was the very first picture I took with the Telyt-S... from a window of home, a detail of a nearby house... around 30-40 meters far from me, lens wide open

• Like 2

Hello Luigi,

Nice photo. Good quality image.

Have you tried it @ different apertures & @ different distances?

It would be interesting to know what apetrure @ what distance(s) it was optimised for.

The literature from Leitz @ the time it was introduced appears to say it is optimized for long distances, wide open. It might be that or it might be something else.

1 possibilty is medium apertures for mediuum distances. Taking into account what medium apertures & medium distances mean for an 800mm lens 1/3d of a stop slower than 5.6. Your high quality image @ 30 - 40 meters @ F6.3 supports this.

Is there a slightly warm colorcast to this lens?

Best Regards,

Miichael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

Today I spent a long time looking specifications of backpacks to try and source one capable of accommodating the four separate sections of 800mm Telyt-S lens. The only pack that appeared to be suitable is the Lowe Pro Super Trekker which has a 65cm length/height ... but none are available in the UK ... possibly because it's discontinued. However, the Andy Rouse 'Viper' also has a 65cm height and its centre compartment might just accommodate the two rear sections of the lens with a camera attached - and the actual lens head should fit into one of the other two compartments. A 'used' Viper has been sourced at Ffordes and it should arrive next week. I hope it does fit but if not I can send it back within 10 days of purchase. I checked the diameter of the backpack's centre section and the lens plus handle should just fit.

The Viper has 'mixed reviews' ie some users praise it ... others do not as they found it uncomfortable ... but if the lens fits I'll be happy and will then adjust the pack to be as comfortable as possible.

Best wishes

dunk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Always from mountain... given my position, subject, and 1:25000 map, I was 5,5 Km far from Tucketthutte... air RATHER clean but not perfect, and you can spot a person standing right to the hut (jpg... the original DNG is much more detailed)

So this is with the M8 / 1040mm on a 10.2mp

I am curios to know what is the quality with the M9 / 800 on a 18.mp

Iirc about the equivalent of 7500 Euro ( going back to that time and recalling a shop window with price tag)

Seems pretty reasonable considering what this lens is designed for.

Comparable in price terms with a super fast 50mm I suppose?

I have only a Folder....:rolleyes::D

1970 was the "Photokina" Presentation......1972 sales start.

regards,

Jan

• Like 7

I almost bought an original copy of the brochure but the dealer is asking too much ... now await a photocopy from Oldtimer.

There are a number of posts on other forums stating that a complimentary VW Fox (the former 70s or 80s Fox model based on the Polo - not the recent Fox model) was offered with the lens by USA dealers. Maybe the lens was not selling so well?

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/discus_e/messages/2/48373.html

The 800mm Telyt-S is cheaper to buy (if you can source one) than eg a new or used Canon, Nikon or Sigma 800mm. I have long admired Andreas Feininger's Manhattan photos taken with long focus lenses and plan to try something similar with Canary Wharf taken from Alexandra Palace and Greenwich. I would not be surprised if I attract helicopter surveillance if used at Greenwich. People state that the police are suspicious of long focus lenses ... but police should know the difference between a bazooka and a camera - if they don't they are not being trained properly.

dunk

Edited by dkpeterborough

As a matter of interest guys, what did this lens set up cost sans camera when it came out in 1970?

And, what would it's cost (new) be at today's rates.

Thanks.

Tony

PS, some fantastic photos there Luigi.

The US Retail Price List from 1974 and 1975 has the Leicaflex 800mm-S lens listed as $4296. The part number is 11921. It is not additionally listed under visoflex lenses (like the 560 and 400 telyts are listed). About a year ago, I posted these price lists in pdf form at this thread.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-collectors-historica/164399-leitz-elmar-c-90mm.html#post1608629

3% inflation (standard long term value) over 35 years would calculate to a factor of about x2.1 price increase. So $4300 in 1975 would be the equivalent of about $9000 today.

RM

• Like 1

The US Retail Price List from 1974 and 1975 has the Leicaflex 800mm-S lens listed as $4296. The part number is 11921. It is not additionally listed under visoflex lenses (like the 560 and 400 telyts are listed). About a year ago, I posted these price lists in pdf form at this thread.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-collectors-historica/164399-leitz-elmar-c-90mm.html#post1608629

3% inflation (standard long term value) over 35 years would calculate to a factor of about x2.1 price increase. So $4300 in 1975 would be the equivalent of about $9000 today.

RM

$9000 appears to be on the low side.

I just used this future value calculator Measuring Worth - Measures of worth, inflation rates, saving calculator, relative value, worth of a dollar, worth of a pound, purchasing power, gold prices, GDP, history of wages, average wage to calculate the present (ish) value of 1975 value $4296 ... and this is the result. But it does not take into account the current premium prices of Leica M lenses and the probable fact that if R lenses were still in production they would also command big $$ prices . 2010 values are calculated because 2011 data is not yet available.

Best wishes

dunk

The result:

In 2010, the relative value of $4296 from 1975 ranges from $14,200.00 to $38,100.00.

A simple Purchasing Power Calculator would say the relative value is $17,400.00. This answer is obtained by multiplying $4296 by the percentage increase in the CPI from 1975 to 2010.

This may not be the best answer.

The best measure of the relative value over time depends on if you are interested in comparing the cost or value of a Commodity , Income or Wealth , or aProject . For more discussion on how to pick the best measure, read the essay "Explaining the Measures of Worth."

If you want to compare the value of a $4296 Commodity in 1975 there are four choices. In 2010 the relative:

real price of that commodity is $17,400.00

real value of that commodity is $18,800.00

labor value of that commodity is $16,500.00(using the unskilled wage) or $18,900.00(using production worker compensation)

income value of that commodity is $26,500.00

If you want to compare the value of a $4296 Income or Wealth , in 1975 there are three choices. In 2010 the relative:

standard of living value of that income or wealth is $17,400.00

economic status value of that income or wealth is $26,500.00

economic power value of that income or wealth is $38,100.00

If you want to compare the value of a $4296 Project in 1975 there are four choices. In 2010 the relative:

opportunity cost of that project is $14,200.00

labor cost of that project is $16,500.00(using the unskilled wage) or $18,900.00(using production worker compensation)

economy cost of that project is $38,100.00

• Like 3

Hello dunk,

Enjoy your new lens.

I didn't mean to leave you out of things.

As to my questions above: It would be interesting to find out the parameters the Telyt-S was designed for.

btw: By medium distances for an 800mm lens I was thinking around 30 to 100 meters.

Hello Jean Claude,

The offer to give someone an Audi Fox, not a VW, if they bought the 11921 lens on sale, 1/2 off, & sent a copy of the paid bill from an Authorized Leitz/Leica dealer to Rockleigh was made in the late 1980's or early 1990's. The lens then listed for about twice the cost of the Fox. This was a time period when list Lens/Camera prices of many manufacturers were substantially above selling prices. I remember the date because I remember the specific wife I discussed this w/. She needed a new car & liked small cars & she was the wife who worked in a feinkostgeschaft in Germany before we were married. She was always partial to things from there. She ended up getting a Toyota Land Cruiser.

As to the 11921 (Only 1 catalog # whether M or SL) being offered in Minolta Mount: @ the same time the Telyt-S was released Leitz also was advertising 800mm F8 mirror lenses (the subsequent 500mm F8 is something different) from Minolta which Leitz said were available w/: "LEICAFLEX fitting". They also said this was only available thru Minolta. Not thru Leitz.

I don't remember there ever being an offer to put a Minolta lens mount on an 11921 from either Leitz or Minolta even tho this was a time period of large scale Leitz-Minolta co-operation.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

As a matter of interest guys, what did this lens set up cost sans camera when it came out in 1970?

And, what would it's cost (new) be at today's rates.

Thanks.

Tony

PS, some fantastic photos there Luigi.

Thanks for the appreciation...:)... but I'lll try to do something better... such a lens is so strange that it's not easy to discover how to make a "creative" use of it...

About price : in Italy, year 1975, it was listed by Italian importer at a price of 35M Liras... to say, an astonishing 17.000 Euros... but it was specified that it was "on special order"... to say, a negotiable price.

Btw, my item (bought at Westlicht - 3500 Euros) was accompanied by an original letter of Leica Camera to the previous owner (name obliterated in the attached copy), dated 1997 which details the number of items built.

• Like 8