New look at NEX-7 with Lux M 24mm

mmradman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

That is a very debatable point. It depends on one's needs. Some applications put a premium on resolution over higher ISO. Why do you think MF digital cameras still sell?

MF digital cameras are not mass market, mostly for studio or controlled environment work with flash/controlled light and I would imagine never used above base ISO. So need is there but it is a need of a narrow segment of working professionals.

Just last night I did some handheld night shots at ISO 3200, using common D700, that is what I am talking about.

Perhaps, 24 megapixels and more, is the limit what Leica M-lenses are capable of? Contructionwise with the short distance between lens and and CCD/CMOS?

If you go back to the Luminous Landscapes review linked at the beginning of this thread there is no problem using M lenses on 24MP APS-c sensor.

MF digital cameras are not mass market, mostly for studio or controlled environment work with flash/controlled light and I would imagine never used above base ISO. So need is there but it is a need of a narrow segment of working professionals.

Just last night I did some handheld night shots at ISO 3200, using common D700, that is what I am talking about.

I can certainly see owning one 35mm body that excels at high resolution and another that excels at high ISO. But my main need is almost always high resolution and I'd take the trade-off of a little extra high ISO noise if I had to choose just one body. I don't want to use MF for a variety of reasons.

The latest MF backs go up to about 1600 ISO and I have a friend who is shooting a major aerial ad campaign over NYC at dusk on MF at that ISO. When it gets too dark for that he'll switch to the D3s. He owns a D3x when he needs higher resolution on 35mm.

Edited by AlanG

Doesn't that also mean that some can perform well?

Indeed, some can perform well beyond that in theory. However, Leica is a brand sold on a premium image, so the admittence that most older lenses or some modern ones wide open aren't perfect is a discussion point best buried.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Indeed, some can perform well beyond that in theory. However, Leica is a brand sold on a premium image, so the admittence that most older lenses or some modern ones wide open aren't perfect is a discussion point best buried.

Well if this makes sense to you that is at least one person. My old Summar was always a dog at f2 noticeable even on film printed to 5x7. No lens is perfect.

Edited by AlanG

I think the NEX-5n with the add on VF isn't a bad choice either. It's also a real item, something you can order online and get tomorrow. Dont forget your adapter!

I spent yesterday afternoon out in the water with my NEX-5n, Novoflex adapter, and my Summicron 75 AA, and Distagon 15.

Focusing the 75, even with peaking, was tricky; but then I also find this lens unforgiving on the M9, so it's not a new phenomenon. When I got it right, it was tack sharp, as expected (the first picture below).

The Distagon was much easier (second picture below, and minimal colour shift. I was also surprised that the vignetting wasn't too bad either (I wasn't using the centre ND filter supplied with the lens). Focusing the Distagon was a breeze, as you'd expect.

My only issue with the NEX-5n, is that it is small in the hands, and the buttons are too easily pushed. I'd raise the camera to my eye to take a picture and find myself staring at the setup menu, which was aggravating. Also, I haven't found a way to turn the post review image off. So, the viewfinder gets blocked for a couple of seconds by the image you just took. Very annoying - I found switching to the continuous setting helped.

Optical viewfinders do have their advantages, even with exceptionally good EVFs.

Cheers

John

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The nex(t) Sony camera will be a full frame hybrid if this rumour proves anywhere near accurate. Sony Rumours have proved themselves to be reliably accurate in my experience, but not necessarily so in their timing prophesies!

sonyalpharumors | Blog | (SR4) Sony "approves" the launch the new hybrid AlphaNex mount camera (sort of fullframe NEX-7!)

The nex(t) Sony camera will be a full frame hybrid if this rumour proves anywhere near accurate. Sony Rumours have proved themselves to be reliably accurate in my experience, but not necessarily so in their timing prophesies!

sonyalpharumors | Blog | (SR4) Sony "approves" the launch the new hybrid AlphaNex mount camera (sort of fullframe NEX-7!)

Thanks. Read the article, but not being a Sony owner, what is the E mount? And no mention of M lenses. What's your take on that?

Thanks. Read the article, but not being a Sony owner, what is the E mount? And no mention of M lenses. What's your take on that?

E mount is what is used on the small Nex cameras and the A mount is used on the "larger" Sony DSLR and semi transparent mirror cameras. I am not sure how they can make one body that can directly accept both lenses. I'm not saying this is impossible, I just don't know. E mount cameras can use A mount lenses via an adapter.

E mount lenses are not for full frame 24x36 so it is kind of curious why it would take them in the first place. Maybe there is a new line of full frame E mount lenses coming out and that is what is holding up lenses for the existing Nex models. Talk about throwing a monkey wrench into the works... it can't be.

I wouldn't talk any more about this rumored camera as Sony has caused enough trouble here already. ;)

Alan G is correct. Sony have used a built in crop for several of their top of the range cameras. The full frame A900 has a crop feature to allow APS-C designed lenses to be used, without vignetting by reducing the "native" 24.8 Mpx down to 12.4 Mpx.

I am assuming that what could happen here is something very similar but for use with the E mount lenses designed for the NEX range.

M mount lenses could still be used with an adaptor for the "E" mount option, and even R lenses should be useable on the A section of the hybrid mount I would imagine, again using the appropriate adaptor or adapted R to A lenses. This happens now with the A900 full frame so I assume that it would also happen with this "hybrid" 36MPx camera. It's all pie in the sky of course until we see the hardware, but it looks one hell of an innovation on paper! :D

The new A77 also has an innovative crop feature allowing in-built converters for increasing focal length of any given lens fitted. The 1.4x crop drops resolution back to 12 Mpx and the 2x crop drops resolution down to 6Mpx but ONLY in Jpeg file format which is hard luck for Raw shooters! It could be useful on occasions though when it is imperative to get the shot and with no time to change lens or fit a converter! The A77 SLT is a delightful camera to use.

• 3 weeks later...
I'd probably buy that.

Since we've veered off into hypotheticals, how great would a Leica camera body be in that market segment? A CL Digital. Interchangable M mount, M8 sized 12.5MP CMOS sensor (or full frame, even), a decent EV with some of that focus assist, and a smaller sized body that was able to produce usuable files shot at 1600, 2000, 2500, and 3200?

I'd definately buy that.

Hell, I'd buy an M9.2 or an M10 if the files looked better above 640.

Jay

Would you buy a GXR module with a Sony 5n sensor? Like 16MP, for example?

Would you buy a GXR module with a Sony 5n sensor? Like 16MP, for example?

Very happy with my "in heavy rotation", almost ten thousand exposure, "OLD" (10 months) NEX-5. Before that warantee is up I will probably purchase a new body.

With no Solms alternative on the horizon, I'm leaning pretty hard toward a NEX-5n body with the screw in EVF.

Edited by Jaybob

We are supposed to see the Leica APS+, EVIL camera within half a year - approx. I don''t know how far your horizon is ?

The NEX is inexpensive enough (comparitively speaking, I guess...) to replace/repupose/resell as it goes out of warantee. I've owned mine for 10 months, shooting stills using nothing but adapted Leica glass, so my short term horizon could be two months. The more I think about it, I more than likely will hold on to it and keep it in the bag as a backup, but I have had ZERO reliability problems with the original, and I would expect the same build quality on the NEX-5n.

However, I look forward to Leica's announcement whenever that may be.

Hi Jaap,

is this common 'forum knowledge' or was their an official statement/announcement from Leica that I missed?

You missed it, see this

Leica to launch 'compact system camera' at Photokina 2012 (update) news - Amateur Photographer - news, camera reviews, lens reviews, camera equipment guides, photography courses, competitions, photography forums

Discussed in other forum threads.

• Like 1

The nex lines are nice but why make the cameras smaller so that they can fit in a pocket. TILL you attach a lens then you need BOZO the clown pants to be able to put it in a pocket. Now the GX1 still fits in a pocket, with the 14,20, or new 14-42mm pz lens attached.

Jan

I recently purchased a NEX-5n and put my 35 lux asph on it with great results. While I'd prefer FF, larger buttons etc it's a great little camera that I can take anywhere. High ISO performance is great, the screen is amazing (here's hoping the M10/MX gets a similar one).

Focus peaking works well enough for my use and the flip-out display lets me take photos looking down, MF style, and capture shots I'd have to get down on the ground to capture with my M9 or D3.

If you don't want an M8 or M9 but want to experience Leica glass first hand, the NEX-5n is a great choice. Interestingly, it's made me less thirsty for the newest, most expensive lenses. Thanks to the adapters I can put just about anything on it and it's a lot more fun to assemble a bargain package of old Summicrons and non-Leica lenses than it is to try to track down a 50 lux asph.

The video feature is good enough for my use. Of course, videos shot with M-lenses are *much* better than any other videos. :D

If you can afford an M9 then you can afford a NEX-5n. Think of it as the neat backup camera. Heck, if you don't like it, just sell it and keep the first-hand experience. It'll probably cost a lot less than a CLA.

• Like 1