Movie Mode and the M10

Rick

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Rick,

I am glad you convinced yourself! Welcome to the club. :)

Of course, the M10 should and will have LiveView and video mode with its CMOS sensor. :cool:

Indeed video mode on the 5dm2 can produce absolutely stunning results. :)

Gosh, even the video mode on my iPhone 4S is amazing. :D

Cheers, K-H.

• Like 1

If I want a coffee, I will make me a coffee, if I want a beer, I will take a beer... What is the use to put everything in the same cup?

I came to M9 because I was tired that my Nikon AFS decided to focus on his own way.

As a woodworker, I always tried to buy the best dedicated tool for a specific job and if something is going wrong, then it is my own fault, I will have to improve myself...

If someone is interested in movie making, why don't buy the best available tool in movie making? It will push you ahead and you will have to grow with it.

I won't ever buy a hammer with a screwdriver, a plastering knife and a soldering iron in the handle... it will ruin all my efforts to do a proper job, I will endlessly complain about it and I will loose confidence in myself! :p

D.

• Like 1

If I want a coffee, I will make me a coffee, if I want a beer, I will take a beer... What is the use to put everything in the same cup?

I came to M9 because I was tired that my Nikon AFS decided to focus on his own way.

As a woodworker, I always tried to buy the best dedicated tool for a specific job and if something is going wrong, then it is my own fault, I will have to improve myself...

If someone is interested in movie making, why don't buy the best available tool in movie making? It will push you ahead and you will have to grow with it.

I won't ever buy a hammer with a screwdriver, a plastering knife and a soldering iron in the handle... it will ruin all my efforts to do a proper job, I will endlessly complain about it and I will loose confidence in myself! :p

D.

Hi Dan and welcome to the forum. I want to assure you that the M10 will not auto focus... or make coffee or dispense beer. :D

WTF do you know about doing video? You would turn a professional tool into an amateur's nightmare in a minute. I'm kill-filing this thread. It is just too silly.

So, what you are saying is that I should mark you down as a "maybe."

A Leica M might be built one day to make movies? Sure! Next you'll be telling me men will visit nail salons and wear dresses, a USA BMW 3-series and 5 series will have a 4-banger, and my grown son will pick up the dinner tab. Never gonna' happen.

Larry

Edited by likalar
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Nope, not me. I certainly hope Leica sticks to what they do best.

Oh, you mean Hermes special editions? I sure hope they try and lead technology again, rather than fall back on what they do best. Vomit: Hermes x Leica M7 Limited Edition Camera | Hypebeast

Or, as Sean Connary said in The Rock, "Your best? Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and f*ck the prom queen!"

:D

• Like 1

Careful what you wish for. I get so frustrated with my 5DMk2 because every firmware update brings lots of new video feature improvements, but it still can't autoexposure bracket more than three shots in a row. For a $3000 camera, you might expect to be able to bracket say, five or seven or more shots. But no, you would be wrong. However, I hear it takes very nice video. Unfortunately, I bought it to take still pictures. Of course, I haven't taken a shot with it since I bought the M9. I would be very disappointed to see video added to the M10. There are lots of point and shoot cameras that shoot video. The M series was never designed for that. It has a singularity of purpose and functional design that make it unique in the camera world. I would hate to see Leica ruin that in an effort to chase all the copycats out there.

I'm seriously considering a film M7 instead of upgrading my M9 to something like this. And I don't think I'm alone in this with the recent years M9 sales success.

Leica has talked about something missing between the X1 and M, this could be an all electronic camera body but not an upgrade to the M though..

Careful what you wish for. I get so frustrated with my 5DMk2 because every firmware update brings lots of new video feature improvements, but it still can't autoexposure bracket more than three shots in a row. For a $3000 camera, you might expect to be able to bracket say, five or seven or more shots. But no, you would be wrong. However, I hear it takes very nice video. Unfortunately, I bought it to take still pictures. Of course, I haven't taken a shot with it since I bought the M9. I would be very disappointed to see video added to the M10. There are lots of point and shoot cameras that shoot video. The M series was never designed for that. It has a singularity of purpose and functional design that make it unique in the camera world. I would hate to see Leica ruin that in an effort to chase all the copycats out there.

Not chase all the copycats, lead the market. I had a 5DII as well and it took wonderful pictures. It had great video as well. Leica can do it even better.

I'll mark you down as a definite maybe. :D:rolleyes:

I'm not so definite; I have several cameras with movie moce - Digilux 2 and Olympus XZ 1 for instance and I havent used the video once. For that I (or rather my wife)) has a real video camera.

For a $3000 camera, you might expect to be able to bracket say, five or seven or more shots. .

By that argument, then, you must expect a whole lot more from a $7000+ M9

New 5D Mkll's are now going for $2000,btw.

Rick,put me down in favor of video functionality

Mark

• Like 1

Early protoypes to add some of these "essential' new functions were not a success. They remain unloved in a private collection. Video M enthusiasts insist that it is entirely the fault of racalcitrant curmudgeonly Leica traditionalists and the model simply needs more development. Those resisting change need to be educated for their own good.

Anyone taking this thread too seriously now is advised to review Ric's record :rolleyes: and the numerous previous threads where LiveView and video M's have been 'discussed' at length

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

I wouldn't expect movie mode to come for free. It would increase the cost of the camera in one way or another and might actually require compromises in aspects of camera performance that are much more important to me. Count me as a no.

I wouldn't expect movie mode to come for free. It would increase the cost of the camera in one way or another and might actually require compromises in aspects of camera performance that are much more important to me. Count me as a no.

What "compromises in aspects of camera performance" are you speaking of? Can you provide some sort of source that shows that video-mode causes compromise to camera performance?

While you are at it, please provide something that supports the notion that it increase the price when video-mode is incorporated into a camera. Seems to me that Canon did a great job of incorporating it into the 5DII at a very competitive price.

Edited by RickLeica

in all seriousness, I for one would prefer to see the Leica M rangefinder remain a purist tool. In fact, I believe that is how those who design the latest hardware will see it. Essentially, I see the notion of a movie mode being packaged in a separate model, the mirrorless camera that seems to be generating some excitement at the moment.

in all seriousness, I for one would prefer to see the Leica M rangefinder remain a purist tool. In fact, I believe that is how those who design the latest hardware will see it. Essentially, I see the notion of a movie mode being packaged in a separate model, the mirrorless camera that seems to be generating some excitement at the moment.

Do you think that the M10 has a relatively above average likelihood of being CMOS?