Palermo One Challenge: the arrangements and the rules

farnz

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Welcome to the Leica Camera Forum's One Challenge for 2011!

Below are the arrangements and competition rules for the One Challenge 2011, which will be held in Palermo, Sicily on Saturday 15th October 2011. All forum members are welcome, and encouraged to take part, as the emphasis is on being an excellent social event first and a competition second. Although be advised that the level of entries recieved in the past has been excellent and I fully expect this year's entries to be just as good considering that last year's Day Challenge winner, Erl, has confirmed that he will travel from Australia to take part. (Thank you, Erl!)

This year, as took place last year, there will be a Day Challenge and a Night Challenge and members may enter either or both or neither as they wish. The rules for the One Challenge 2011, which include the details of the meeting places, can be downloaded in pdf format here. (My thanks to Andy Barton for hosting the rules online.)

The meeting place for the Day Challenge will be the Antico Caffe Spinnato at 107 Via Principe Belmonte. The Spinnato is located in a pedestrian walkway in the heart of (east) Palermo towards the port area and has outdoor and indoor tables in case the weather chooses to intervene.

The intention is to have a light lunch or a coffee while equipment and settings are registered with me when I will also collect an entry fee from which all proceeds will be donated to AICR (The Association for International Cancer Research). This year the Day Challenge will take place in the afternoon but an earlier starting time is being considered for next year's One Challenge.

From a pre-decided start time the entrants will have 2 hours to take up to 36 shots (whether film or digital) using one camera, one lens (one pre-stated focal length if you have a zoom), one ISO speed, from which you may choose one shot to later post as your entry.

Following the Day Challenge it is customary to meet up later for dinner, which will also act as the starting point for entrants in the Night Challenge.

I have arranged for us to dine at the trattoria Al Cancelletto Verde at 14 Via Riccardo Wagner, which is close to the morning's meeting point.

I visited the Cancelletto last year and established that it will offer us a special 3 course set menu for 20 people that includes house wine, and a choice of regional Sicillian dishes or 'tourist' choices for 35 Euros. I need to be able to tell the Cancelletto how many wish to take advantage of the set menu so that they can work out the details. there will also be an a la carte menu available, details of which are available on the restaurant's website (in in the pdf file) although I would expect it to work out to be more expensive. So would you very kindly signify your interest in the set menu by replying to this thread or by PM to me please?

Airport Transfers:

When I visited Palermo last December I managed to pick a day when the underground link to the airport was closed for several months for engineering works (or "planned improvements" as the UK rail network likes to euphemise;)) and the taxis were on strike. There was a picket line of swarthy taxi drivers with placards lounging around getting drunk(er) but still pleasant enough.

So the only means of transport from the airport to the city was via the Prestia E Comande bus (coach), to the right of the front entrance, two of which coaches were parked beside a group of drunkenly singing and striking taxi drivers at the front of the airport. I approached the coach driver and asked to buy a ticket to the city but he told me that I could only buy a ticket at the TrenItalia underground station.:confused:

The TrenItalia underground station is, perhaps unsurprisingly, located beneath the airport and after a circuitous 5 to 10 minute stroll with bags in hand I located one small kiosk by the barriers that contained a man who sold me a bus ticket. Another 5 to 10 minute stroll with bags in hand got me back to the coach and singing taxi drivers.

The coaches left every 15 minutes and the ticket cost 5 Euro for the 60-minute pleasant journey into the city centre. The coach stopped at 4 or 5 locations on the way but my hotel was near the station ("Ferrovia") so I'm unable to explain where. I noticed on arriving at the station that there were plenty of taxi drivers there and none of them were on strike. Hey-ho.

I look forward to enjoying the Palermo One Challenge with many forum members, both those I know and those I haven't met yet.

Pete.

• Like 2

Two for dinner, please, Pete.

Does the restaurant need to know what people will be ordering? Catering for 20 (odd) people all at once, properly, is a challenge in itself, if they have no forewarning.

Thanks, Andy.

I'll make contact with the restaurant again when I have an idea of the numbers and those who are interested in a set menu.

Pete.

• Like 1

'I visited the Cancelletto last year and established that it will offer us a special 3 course set menu for 20 people that includes house wine, and a choice of regional Sicillian dishes or 'tourist' choices for 35 Euros. I need to be able to tell the Cancelletto how many wish to take advantage of the set menu so that they can work out the details. there will also be an a la carte menu available, details of which are available on the restaurant's website (in in the pdf file) although I would expect it to work out to be more expensive. So would you very kindly signify your interest in the set menu by replying to this thread or by PM to me please?'

Strong Interest in the set menu, two Persons, please.

Looking forward to the time with you all in Palermo!

• Like 2

Yes! one for set menu dinner, unless I can convince a companion to come (unlikely)!

Thanks Pete for the great work you are doing in arranging the fun for the rest of us.

Edited by erl
  • Like 1