Palermo in October

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ravi,

It's quite clear: you must disown your family! We are your family now. We will make you an offer you can't refuse ... :rolleyes:

I'm very sorry to hear that you won't be able to make it to Palermo. I had more than one pint with your name on it too.:(

Pete.

@Ravi - sorry to see that you are not joining us in Palermo - Pete's right: you must disown your family! What are they thinking of holding a family event on the LUF Special Weekend? :eek:

@Nick - your knickers are not allowed to twist to such a point that you & Ripon can't attend! :D

A pint of limoncello for Pete - my treat if it all stays down.

As for the family event - i will probably post a "which camera and bag should i take to a wedding in Chandigarh?" - but to save Bill the effort, i shall just post an off topic witty comment instead, with a link to the previous 17 threads on this topic which all suggest that I need to upgrade, downgrade, buy a Noctilux with a SinghRay 6 stop ND filter, take a digital compact, use only TriX and a Speed Graphic with Kodachrome in a Rolleiflex.

It will be my loss to miss the most fun weekend of my entire year (yes, my life is really that unexciting) and the opportunity to get the piss taken out of me by serial professionals.

• Like 1

A pint of limoncello for Pete - my treat if it all stays down.

As for the family event - i will probably post a "which camera and bag should i take to a wedding in Chandigarh?" - but to save Bill the effort, i shall just post an off topic witty comment instead, with a link to the previous 17 threads on this topic which all suggest that I need to upgrade, downgrade, buy a Noctilux with a SinghRay 6 stop ND filter, take a digital compact, use only TriX and a Speed Graphic with Kodachrome in a Rolleiflex.

It will be my loss to miss the most fun weekend of my entire year (yes, my life is really that unexciting) and the opportunity to get the piss taken out of me by serial professionals.

:D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ripon and I are now coming for sure. Had to return a brief but worth it.

We arrive by the dreaded Ryan Air on Friday morning

will probably stay in Sicily until Wednesday night - any suggestions for best photographic locations after Palermo?

The looking forward to an overnight ferry to Naples Wednesday night followed by a short drive to my house in Southern Italy :)

I have just confirmed my hotel booking online at the Albergo Mediterraneo

Via Rosolino Pilo, 43

Palermo, 90139

info@abmedpa.com

After checking several with a lot more charm but a lot more noise around them, according to comments.

I will be looking forward to the name and address of the meeting place. Till then, my best regards to all.

• Like 2

Eileen and I are at the Grand Hotel Et Des Palmes, Via Roma 398, Palermo from Thursday the 13th until Sunday the 16th.

Prior to that we're staying in Taormina from Sunday the 9th until moving to Palermo on the Thursday.

Looking forward to meeting everyone again in October.

Cheers, Tom

• Like 1

As some of you know, the Mrs and I have attended each year since Paris in 2006 through Venice last year. Sadly the Mrs and I will not be joining you in Palermo. The travel time from up here is too long (15-18 hrs with two stops or a night in a hotell each way) and expense silly for a week end. (I know Earl makes it from down under, but not just for the week end).

There used to be an understanding that the venue should be in a location that is reasonably accessible by fair priced airlines. If we as a community want to be inclusive and want the Challenge to grow in participation we might want to pick up on this thought. Thus suggesting venues and voting for them, as we have the last few years, without any reality checks at all is not necceserily inclusive.

I hereby challenge (pun very much intended) the collective to take this into considderation for next year, in particular since 2012 is the 10th One Callenge.

Carl

• Like 7

I was sorry to hear that last week, Carl. Both of you will be missed.

Off-line, others have been discussing what we should do to move the Challenge forward next year, and I think that a concensus has been formed. You are quite right about venues being easily accessible - Palermo is possibly the least accessible place we have chosen to visit (we are having to have an overnight at Gatwick before flying out).

Next year, things will be different.

Thanks Andy. It was a hard decision and on I'd seen coming, but dreaded making. We'll both miss the fun with all of you.

I coined a phrase this morning, "Do a Leica, keep it simple". I think that is what the Challenge should be about, in all aspects not just one camera, one roll and one lens.

Carl

• Like 2