frank_t

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The lug strap eyelet from my M9 just disconnected from the body.

As I had wound the strap around my wrist several times it didn't drop on the ground.

After recovering from a slight heart attack I could continue with my assignment but in the afternoon the camera showed "shutter fault" and stopped working.

frank

Remember you paid £5000 because you purchased a quality item that was hand made by craftsmen.

Sorry to hear that, I imagine that whatever was on the other side of the lug holding it on did a trip around the inside of the body and disagreed with something. Fingers crossed on your warranty coverage. This is not the first time I've heard of this happening. On the plus side you had a tight hold of the camera. The last time I read of this the poor guy didn't and damaged not only the camera body but the lens too.

• Like 1

...please post some images, Frank - this one's a must see. And while you are at it, feel free to acquaint us with your camera handling habits. For instance, are you given to swinging your M9 around your head, or are you more of a regular user? I think it is relevant information.

...actually, Frank, could you please confirm if the camera strap was properly attached to the camera, AND also if the actual eyelet was detached from the camera chassis, as opposed to the strap being detached from the eyelet. Thanks, and yes, welcome to the forum.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Posts like this frighten me. I don't want to feel nervous having my M9 with Noct around my neck, but the fact that a lug can fail on a camera at this price point and with what is supposed to be exceptional build quality, inspires little confidence. If this were an unlucky one-off then I probably wouldn't be so bothered, but this is not the first to be reported here. Circumstances and general usage info would be good to know in this case, along with whether there was any warning that the lug may have an issue before it's failure?

Here's a picture of the strap eyelet fixing from inside the camera. It would be surprising if the eyelet became detached without first becoming loose. As Giorano says, replacing them is a big deal because virtually the entire camera has to come apart.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

... this is not the first to be reported here....

Isn't it just the second?

If so, its frequency of occurrence is less than that of cracked sensors. Certainly worth noting, but not worth getting alarmed about IMHO.

Thank you all for your replies.

I use my camera as any photographer does, I carry it and use it almost every day.

I imagine the two screws holding the eyelet to the body gave up, this shouldn't happen.

The camera is almost 2 years old, it should be a warranty repair.

I can not post any pictures because the camera is being repaired.

frank

Isn't it just the second?

If so, its frequency of occurrence is less than that of cracked sensors. Certainly worth noting, but not worth getting alarmed about IMHO.

Or third. I've not been keeping count, but more than one in a camera at this price point is a concern (at least it is for me). The frequency may be less than cracked sensors, but I don't feel that's anything to be positive about either.

Sorry to hear of course - never had that with my film M's - over 40 yrs

I'm wondering if wrapping the strap around your wrist may have over torqued the bolt, allowing it to loosen or break...?

Glad the internal mechanics and lens survived intact!

The 9 does not feel as robust as my M3, 4 or 6's.