Purple fringe problems on Leica M9

valtadoros

Advertisement (gone after registration)

We leika tangents here:rolleyes:

I recall eating (real!) caviar, pate, cornichons (mini gherkin) etc. with a glass of champagne on a flight from Paris to Amsterdam. Air France in the good old days.

Am I the only one that would happily pay 10 euro extra for my ticket to get a decent plate of food & free drinks? That is all it should cost if produced on a largish scale.

• Like 2

I remember the days that each FinnAir aircraft had a membership plaque of the "Chaine de Rotisseurs"displayed. I found it rather disappointing that the were not barbecueing Reindeer steaks on board.

• Like 1

Back on track. I'm pretty sure that I have been able to achieve purple fringing on most lens/digital camera combinations that I've had. Its just a matter of picking a high enough contrast subject, placing it in the corner of the frame and exposing so that the bright parts is sufficiently overexposed. Details of tree branches against a bright cloudy sky are pretty effective. The are, as commented upon already, solutions. Some lens/camera combinations are better for showing it than others but then I'd suggest that some lens/camera combinations are used in ways which will show it up more than others.

Oddly, these contraption suffer from no chromatic aberration at all! Strange

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Most lenses will give PF wide open. In my own experience Leica APO corrected R lenses are pretty much free of PF wide open.

Back on track. I'm pretty sure that I have been able to achieve purple fringing on most lens/digital camera combinations that I've had. Its just a matter of picking a high enough contrast subject, placing it in the corner of the frame and exposing so that the bright parts is sufficiently overexposed. Details of tree branches against a bright cloudy sky are pretty effective. The are, as commented upon already, solutions. Some lens/camera combinations are better for showing it than others but then I'd suggest that some lens/camera combinations are used in ways which will show it up more than others.

Not long ago I conducted purple fringing experiment to satisfy my curiosity.

I shot side by side Zeiss ZF Macro 100mm f2 and Leitaxed APO Macro Elmarit 100mm. As we all know Elmarit is f2.8 lens.

APO Elmarit is legendary but Zeiss Macro 100mm f2 is well regarded too.

For this experiment I used same subject, same tripod settings, same artificial illumination, both shot at f2.8 on Nikon D700 with identical settings except non CPU lens settings which in my opinion is irrelevant to this experiment.

As I was shooting in macro mode, close to 1:2 magnification, only part of the experiment that may have been outside my control would be F stop creep (f stop decreasing) as the lens is extended towards the close focus settings. I am not familiar whether F stop remains constant or changes on both lens during close focusing.

Zeiss was shot stopped down while APO Elmarit was shot wide open. Images shot with Elmarit were free from purple fringing while while Zeiss showed traces.

My unscientific conclusion; quality optics matters, only reason I bother with Leica.

Nikon D3, D3S, D3X remove chromatic fringing in JPG files. In raw files straight from the camera there is no removal and this is left to the user in raw conversion software.

Paul,

Thanks for the info. That's great.

Where could I read up on that?

Best, K-H.

One thing you need to understand is that any automatic removal is going to hurt the overall image. Fie example Digital ice which is used to remove spots on negative scans makes a softer print. It's a trade off as in anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

It could be just me, but many seem driven to iron out every last aberration from a lens these days. But is this not stripping away at character? My V1 75 'lux shows many aberration issues wide open, but I have no desire to change it. I love it for what it is.

How boring life would be if every image were sharp, clean, and aberration free.

As suspected all along......

Lack of fringing in other digitals is down to in camera image processing.....

Same goes for auto exposure and colour balance where (at least in high end Nikons) the image is compared to a bank of stored pics in camera and adjusted accordingly...... Japanese digital producers have taken the road of reducing aberrations and errors by software manipulation .... Leica has chosen the path of trying to avoid them in the first place .... although this comes at a cost :(

If this thread proves anything at all it is confirmation of the excellent quality of the original raw output of the M9....... most of which needs no post processing at all to produce acceptable images.

• Like 2

I just want to show from time to time that I dislike and disable spell checkers:p
Interestingly I was referring to the whole contraption displayed & not to the spelling :D

@Rip, no offense intended (in fact the opposite) but you are a weird member of this weird community. Marriage of camera, "formula one" & home cooking. To put things in perspective I spent about ½ an hour last weekend sawing some (hard) wood into shape to make a fake "stage knife" handle for my wife. She has to kill someone on stage without running a serious risk of succeeding:D The "blade" is made of cardboard from an old shoe box with aluminium tape & the whole thing actually looks more convincing than the original. My members of staff must not find out about this - as it would permanently damage my street credibility (if any).

When light goes in a lens it doesn't come out in a nice neat pattern the way it went in. Especially blues and purples they get scattered a little and need another lens to try to correct it. If you take a picture of something bright like a piece of chrome it may have purple fringing around it called chromatic aberration.

Google Images In the telescope world of refractors you will see a blue ring around something bright like the moon in cheaper telescopes(achromatic). To correct this there are extra lenses to correct it called apochromatic. There are some with two extra lenses to correct it(doublets) and it won't correct it all... so there are more expensive ones that ad even another lens (triplets) to get the purple fringing down even more.