OH BOY: a real VISA

Washington

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Tellyt2003,

Yes, I also conclude that you can use any of the Novoflex lens head (greater than 400mm of course) interchangably between A, B and C systems. But then, this isn't great help since they seem to be fairly identical lenses. (...)

Robert,

no problem for me, since I like nearly all 'telescope'-type lenses very much, because they are smart, economic, relatively compact, modular and robust designs with reasonble image quality ;), and are especially useful on smaller formats like that of the M8 (or M9 cropped) or (micro)4/3 where their curvature of field is much less evident.

As far as I know, 'telescope'-type lenses are anyway offered only from 400 mm onwards (for optical/technical reasons), and evidently are optically better, if longer (approx. 600 mm) (read this in a book on the Novoflex system (in German) that can be seen here: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/1662279-post3.html).

Thus, I anyway consider (especially) the Pigriff-C only for really long lenses; would like to find a reasonable 800 mm lens head adaptable to it.

So I am hoping to find other makers' lenses adapted to the Novoflex Pifas-thread, or to be able to adapt them myself in the future.

(...)

Thanks for your details of use of the C system. I'd say that I have similar impressions with the B system. So far, I don't see considerable difference except that (1) the C system is more elegant (yes, an attraction in itself), and (2) there are less pieces to assemble to get to the same system. (...)

Thank you. I would add (3), as proposed: The integrated extension tube works FAST and is STABLE (and it can almost completely disappear within the tube of the Pigriff-C).

All this appears to be more limiting with the Pigriff system B, as was reported in this forum.

As a possible disadvantage may be seen that Novoflex did not offer focal lengths shorter than 400 mm (no 280 mm) for the system C.

An adaptation of a 280 mm lens head, with its own aperture mechanism, theoretically should be possible to the male bayonet of the Pigriff-C (via a custom made adapter ring of the Televit-type = screw-on bayonet adapter ring ?), while skipping the Pifas-C.

I am afraid that this would not :( work with the Telyt 280/4,8 type 3 head which I estimate quite high.

Best regards,

Telyt2003

BTW: With respect to aesthetics, I like the older systems more. The bazooka "elegance" of the Pigriff system C, nowadays, is a potential disadavantage.

Edited by Telyt2003
typo

Telyt 2003,

An interesting experiment to help with one of your annoyances would be to fit

the focusing lever return springs with lighter springs: betcha it would work! Cheers

Rip, thanks, thought of it.

However, the present spring is just right at the beginning (actually could not be much weaker!), and becomes a bit too strong for my relatively small hands at the far end (with almost completely despressed focus grip).

Since I anyway use the Pigriff system C mostly for relatively close focus (in the range of 3 to 30, sometimes up to 100 metres); I am just fine with it.

Mentioned the behaviour of the spring, because I wanted to know, if the older systems ("A", B) are similar in this respect.

Telyt 2003

RM,

Tell me about the triplet?

T-Novoflexar 400mm is the triplet design. Look at the last post by Telyt2003 above with the pictures. It shows the option of a 400mm or a 400/3 lens.

Rm

Rip, Robert, if I may?

As you likely know, the "T-Noflexar 1:5,6 f = 400 mm" triplet achromat lens head is reported to be a much better performer than the (no T) "Noflexar 1:5,6 f = 400 mm" duplet achromat lens head.

The triplet/T-version reproduces a much more even field, whereas the duplet version exhibits the usual strong curvature of field typically for a duplet 'telescope'-type lens. All this is information, I gathered from experiences reported in this and other forums (since I cannot directly compare. I "only" have the T-version :D).

From the same sources, I remember the following comparison with the Leica Telyts 400/6,8 (and 400/5,6): As duplet 'telescope'-type lenses, their performances are often jugded inferior to those of the T-Noflexar 400/5,6 (at the respective apertures).

However, I would assume that this depends on how you deal with the curvature of field. Albeit my experience with the T-Noflexar is limited to quite close focus (for the reasons described below), I would likely prefer the Telyt 400/6,8 over the T-Noflexar, because of the Telyt's better performance (resolution) in the image centre (and actually all along its curved layer of sharpness).

Other 'features' of the T-Noflexar 400/5,6:

- Code word 'LINSE-400/3' for the lens head alone ('C-400/3' including PIFAS-C and SONFE), http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/attachments/leica-m9-forum/269098d1311191280-oh-boy-real-visa-novoflex-pigriff-c-anleitung_s2-3_l1060164-sm.jpg.

- The T-Noflexar 400/5,6 lens head is heavier (>500 gr.) and much longer (nearly 10 cm or 8,6 cm without the protruding rear lens element) than the (no T) Noflexar 400/5,6.

- the filter thread is M77, the sun shade is the bayonet type SONFE.

- The rear thread (to be screwed into the Pifas-unit) for sure is M77,5 x 0,7.

- There are no "spacers" or rings to be taken off (the mount is a one piece design). One very small external set srew probably would loosen (part of) the optical cell.

=> The T-Noflexar 400/5,6 lens head itself cannot be shortened.

- To use the T-Noflexar 400/5,6-Pigriff system C with the Visoflex2/3, the only way to shorten the system probably is to do this as intended by Novoflex, i.e., by replacing the front part ("spacer ring") of the Pifas-C with a shorter ring (The T-Noflexar 400/5,6 lens head cannot be screwed directly into the truncated (rear part of the) Pifas-C, i.e., with the Pifas' front part ("spacer ring") completely removed).

I checked this myself (please see here: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/1774487-post19.html) the protruding rear lens element hits the truncated Pifas-C before the threads are even close to each other).

Thus a (shortened) "spacer ring" as front part of the Pifas appears to be unavoidable with the T-Noflexar 400/5,6 lens head.

Best regards,

Telyt2003

Telyt2003,

Since this seems to be an adventurous, experimental crowd following this thread, I'll through out a long lens solution for you. It is easy and affordable to find telescope doublets and triplets which are achromats. Edmond Optic is one such source and they have supply outlets in the EU in addition to the US (and elsewhere). Look at the following link for some larger doublets

Large Precision Achromatic Lenses - Edmund Optics

Stock Number N54-467 would be just the lens head you are after. This would give you an 800mm f/11 lens head for your system. That lens head is 84x1.0mm thread. You would just need to fabricate an appropriate tube between the lens head and the Pifas. Or, maybe you have something close with other tubes from other lenses now?

And, if you are really tempted, there are even longer focus lens heads available....

I hope Rip is not cursing me now for finding yet another tempting project to run after ::rolleyes:

RM

• Like 1

Robert,

no problem for me, since I like nearly all 'telescope'-type lenses very much, because they are smart, economic, relatively compact, modular and robust designs with reasonble image quality ;), and are especially useful on smaller formats like that of the M8 (or M9 cropped) or (micro)4/3 where their curvature of field is much less evident.

I agree that the telescope doublet designs are simple, light and good for long lens use. However, I've never understood this logic about smaller sensors (M8) being an advantage to "get an even longer effective length". The only parameter that matter are the pixel size of the sensor and the focal length of the lens. The M8 has the same pixel size as the M9. So the only difference between an M8 and M9 image is the field of view. I can change that by cropping in the computer.

In addition, most of these long lenses are slow (to keep the aperture to a reasonable size). The diffraction spot size (Airy disk) at the focal plane is roughly 1.2*lambda*f-ratio (at the 1/2 power points of the point spread function). So by f/11 you will easily be resolution limited by the f-ratio not the pixel size or pixel sampling. The M8 and M9 have 6.8 micron pixels. Somewhere just above f/8, the diffraction size is the same diameter. With a micro43 and most other DLSR cameras, the pixels are even smaller (around 6 microns?). The image resolution for these long lenses is defined by the optics used and you will gain nothing by using a smaller format camera. Is my logic clear?

RM

Telyt2003,

Since this seems to be an adventurous, experimental crowd following this thread, I'll through out a long lens solution for you. It is easy and affordable to find telescope doublets and triplets which are achromats. Edmond Optic is one such source and they have supply outlets in the EU in addition to the US (and elsewhere). Look at the following link for some larger doublets

Stock Number N54-467 would be just the lens head you are after. This would give you an 800mm f/11 lens head for your system. That lens head is 84x1.0mm thread. You would just need to fabricate an appropriate tube between the lens head and the Pifas. Or, maybe you have something close with other tubes from other lenses now?

And, if you are really tempted, there are even longer focus lens heads available....

I hope Rip is not cursing me now for finding yet another tempting project to run after ::rolleyes:

RM

Edmund is a respectable manufacturer (I have been a customer of theirs for manufacturing of inspection / quality control systems), but I think that most of their lenses are not for 24x36mm coverage (I have their paper catalog in my office - dunno if is complete, but no lens for FF in it)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

An adaptation of a 280 mm lens head, with its own aperture mechanism, theoretically should be possible to the male bayonet of the Pigriff-C (via a custom made adapter ring of the Televit-type = screw-on bayonet adapter ring ?), while skipping the Pifas-C.

I am afraid that this would not :( work with the Telyt 280/4,8 type 3 head which I estimate quite high.

Interesting that you should mention this about the 280/4.8 Telyt. I have a version3 of the lens and agree it is a very nice lens. I've also been looking for ways to adapt it to the Pigriff. That is not possible with the B system since the Pigriff tube is too small in diameter (at least if one has infinity focus in mind). Since I have an extra Pigriff-B unit, I've taken it apart and have begun designing some type of new tube and modification that would allow the use of the Telyt lens head. I've only gotten so far as paper ideas at this point but will keep you posted.

An alternative idea is also the Novoflex pistol grip bellows unit. I just got one of these in the form of system A and will post a pic over in the other Novoflex thread in a few days. It is LTM at the lens end. I've been able to mount my tele-elmar 135 f/4 head on that for macro work. It misses focusing to infinity by only a few mm extension. But, this bellows unit is again too compact to allow either the Leitz 200mm/4 or the 280/4.8 lenses to be used with it.

RM

RM,

Thanks for the link looks interesting! I have an automatic regulator for my form of gear

insanity, it’s called: $ !!!!

No, the ‘’B'' is just fine and I have no problems using it.

But the added design features of the ‘’C’’ just make it all that more versatile for me:

#1. I can use my SLR’s as well as the M9+Viso easily!!!!

#2. The ‘’C’’ already has a trigger front grip built-in and the trigger can be set to fire

with electric cable or cable release. One has to make there own front trigger grip

for the ‘’B’’.

#3. The extension tube of the ‘’C’’ is wonderful making many adaptions easy! And,

when tightened is as solid as a rock.

#4 The top dial focus lock is a big improvement on the two side screws of the ‘’B’’.

I like nearly all 'telescope'-type lenses very much, .

Me too... ;)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Edmund is a respectable manufacturer (I have been a customer of theirs for manufacturing of inspection / quality control systems), but I think that most of their lenses are not for 24x36mm coverage (I have their paper catalog in my office - dunno if is complete, but no lens for FF in it)

Take a look at the web link posted for those Edmund Lens doublets. There are many spec sheets available at the site and even include the Zeemax parameters if one wants to check the design. When I get a chance, I'll sort through the specs and even plug into Zeemax to check the field of view.

I doubt these lenses are really much different than the Leica and Novoflex long lens doublet designs. There isn't much complexity to these designs. I have used one of these lens heads (can't remember which one) several years ago for a pointing telescope on an astronomical facility. I recall that the camera we put on it had 15-20mm size at the focal plane. Anyway, I'll try to give you a more satisfying answer in a few days.

RM

In any case, we are talking about accepting reduced performance at the edges of 24x36mm format for all these designs. The question is just if this Edmund lens head is much different than the Novoflex or old Leitz offering of 800mm doublets.

Luigi,

Golly! What IS that!!!!

An odd beast... :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Take a look at the web link posted for those Edmund Lens doublets. There are many spec sheets available at the site and even include the Zeemax parameters if one wants to check the design. When I get a chance, I'll sort through the specs and even plug into Zeemax to check the field of view.

I doubt these lenses are really much different than the Leica and Novoflex long lens doublet designs. There isn't much complexity to these designs. I have used one of these lens heads (can't remember which one) several years ago for a pointing telescope on an astronomical facility. I recall that the camera we put on it had 15-20mm size at the focal plane. Anyway, I'll try to give you a more satisfying answer in a few days.

RM

In any case, we are talking about accepting reduced performance at the edges of 24x36mm format for all these designs. The question is just if this Edmund lens head is much different than the Novoflex or old Leitz offering of 800mm doublets.

Yes, I agree... is a simple design, indeed... I am curios to check if Edmund makes lenses which cover 24x36 : simply, I have always thought of them as a top provider for industrial applications, not related to the "classic" photgraphic world, but can be that I have missed some of their wide product line (1 year ago about, we used a lens from them for a special diagnostic device with a very small sensor, but with a delicate issue of chromatic correction, and they provided us an excellent support and a very good solution).

Anyway... ;)... the Leitz 800 is indeed a triplet, diiferently from the 400-560... and it included a really very special glass developed in house from the then existing (1971) Leitz glass department (Marco Cavina, in his site, has written lot of details about this arcane glass)

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 1

Luigi,

WOW, nice lens. What fun. I'm jealous!

Edmund is well known in the US for small telescope optics for home astronomy. They have both mirrors and refractive elements. The Achromatic lens sets (especially with mounts) are partly intended for that market of do it yourself refractor. You will see they also sell eyepiece sets. They seem to have spun off a separate division now of Edmund Scientific with stuff. I don't know if all these offerings make it to all their world markets or just the US.

I'll have a look at some of the other telescope parts sites for further suggestions of lenses for the exotic long crowd. More later.

RM

• Like 1

Telyt2003,

(...)

RM

Thank you, Robert, for your advice!

I was really tempted by Edmund Optics, but had difficulties to decide on what of their optics could suit my demands. Therefore, thank you for your specific hint to the N54-467!

However, for the reasons which you specified in another post (#45), I was and am only mildly tempted by an 800 mm f/11 lens head (I know that this is the maximum aperture opening possible for an 800 mm lens head with the PIFAS-units.)

I was more thinking of an 800 mm f/8 :cool:, albeit this for sure would even more call for a (much) smaller format (not because of the "longer equivalent focal length" as compared to the "35 mm small format" ;)), but because of my wish to avoid the vast image borders of such a lens which would anyway not hit my expectations on "reasonable image quality"! (So, no need to record them, but very welcome to give an impression of what happens outside the recorded image area, as with the M's viewfinder!)

And an 800 mm f/8 lens head would, for sure, need an diaphragm opening of at least 10 cm in diameter. This would rule out any of the PIFAS-units for Novoflex PIGRIFFs, but could probably be done with the Televit's diaphragm unit (and the Televit which, therefore, is a real alternative to the Pigriffs for very long focal lengths)!

Any advice on suited lens units (800 mm f/8) and suited diaphragm units is very welcome! (I am not planning to use an image area bigger than that of the M8, and not with pixels smaller than those of the M8).

In the meantime, I am experimenting with 560-600 mm lens heads with a biggest aperture of f/5,6 or 6 (or f/6,8 at least) that I combine with the very good 1,4x Apo-Extender-R.

I already use the 1,4x Apo-Extender-R with several Visoflex lenses and the Visoflex2/3 and M8/9, without any focusing restrictions. :D

Please have a look at the examples given here:

Telyt 200/4,5 x 1,4: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/nature-wildlife/186226-telyt200-4-5-1-4x-apo.html

Telyt 280/4,8 v.3 head in Focorapid x 1,4: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/1734858-post12.html

An attempt to summarise: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m8-forum/187110-infinite-possibilities-m8-9-apo-extender.html

In conclusion, I am currently opting for the Telyt 560/5,6 head (for Televit) and will try to optionally 'short-adapt' it to the Televit to have the possibility of adding the 1,4x Apo-Extender-R in front of the Visoflex2/3 (without restricting the focus range).

Currently, my 800 mm option is the Noflexar 600/8 (or would be the Telyt 560/6,8) coupled to the 1,4x Apo-Extender-R on the Pigriff system C with Visoflex2/3 (also without restricting the focus range: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/1769807-post9.html, http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/1770349-post8.html)

However, this set-up "is a bit dark" for our light with its effective f/12, and already a bit diffraction-limited, as you probably agree (I assume that the Noflexar 600/8 on Pigriff system C has an effective biggest opening of at best f/8,4 when calculated with a maximal aperture opening of a bit more than 7 cm).

As said, any further advice for the enthusiast is very welcome!

... and please do not hesitate to correct my musings, if you like.

Best regards,

Telyt2003

In conclusion, I am currently opting for the Telyt 560/5,6 head (for Televit) and will try to optionally 'short-adapt' it to the Televit to have the possibility of adding the 1,4x Apo-Extender-R in front of the Visoflex2/3 (without restricting the focus range).

Telyt2003

Telyt... I do not remember well, but I seem to have read somewhere that the Apo-Extender 1,4 isn't fit for the long 2-elements Telyts 400/560 (while it was for other telecentric long R lenses like the 280/4 & 350 4,8) ; not 100% sure... but better to verify before making some adapter for their usage with Visoflex 2/3...

Should it work fine... a 560x1,4=800 onto Televit would be surely a lot more manageable than the monstrous 800 of my previous shot... :o

Edited by luigi bertolotti

Interesting that you should mention this about the 280/4.8 Telyt. I have a version3 of the lens and agree it is a very nice lens. I've also been looking for ways to adapt it to the Pigriff. That is not possible with the B system since the Pigriff tube is too small in diameter (at least if one has infinity focus in mind). Since I have an extra Pigriff-B unit, I've taken it apart and have begun designing some type of new tube and modification that would allow the use of the Telyt lens head. I've only gotten so far as paper ideas at this point but will keep you posted.

An alternative idea is also the Novoflex pistol grip bellows unit. I just got one of these in the form of system A and will post a pic over in the other Novoflex thread in a few days. It is LTM at the lens end. I've been able to mount my tele-elmar 135 f/4 head on that for macro work. It misses focusing to infinity by only a few mm extension. But, this bellows unit is again too compact to allow either the Leitz 200mm/4 or the 280/4.8 lenses to be used with it.

RM

Robert,

I would be really interested in results of attempts to adapt the Telyt 280/4,8 v.3 head to a Pigriff (or perhaps to a bellows unit).

You may have already seen my posts on applications of the Telyt 280/4,8 v.3, and medium long lenses on the Visoflex2/3 in general (then please excuse the following).

As you probably know, I am not getting tired of praising the advantages of the smallest manual rapid follow focus system, the Focorapid.

(You may have seen the Visoflex interest group/Interessengemeinschaft for details).

The Focorapid is really small (!) and not very heavy (600 gr.), and most suited for the focal lengths around 200 mm (the head of the Telyt 200/4 screws in directly)!

(Examples: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/1768060-post28.html).

Due to its construction, it is at its limit with the relatively heavy heads of the Telyts 280/4,8 (more than 400 gr., mostly far ahead), if used as intended - with a heavy distance ring (the "adapter" 14112).

However, if this "adapter" is skipped (!), the Focorapid's focusing mechanism becomes much more reactive and "fluent" with the 280 mm heads (screwed directly into it). Please note that the head of the Telyt 280/4,8 version 3 likely needs a minor (reversible) modification to do this (please PM me, if interested).

(You may also want to see this: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/customer-forum/160293-better-alternative-telyt-280-v-m8.html, my posts 6 and 7)

Skipping the "adapter" 14112 (and its length in front of the mechanism), in addition, opens up a new possibility: Now the Telyt 280/4,8 head (preferably the version 3), in the Focorapid, can be combined with the 1,4x Apo-Extender-R and the Visoflex2/3 and M8/9, without restricting the focus range!

Voilà a practically usable 400 mm focal length for the Focorapid which can be fully used from f/4,8 x 1,4 = f/6,8 on.

(As described for example here: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/1734858-post12.html , another example: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/1732281-post25.html).

As a nice addition, also the heads of the Elmar 135/4 (not Tele-Elmar) (and of the Hektor 135/4,5) can be used with a specific adapter 14114.

(Example: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/nature-wildlife/191596-grab-frisbee.html).

The (rare) adapters can probably be replaced (due to the common thread of the Focorapid: M46 x 0,75), and also the Tele-Elmar 135/4 should be usable within in restricted close range (please compare here: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/1758743-post13.html).

Could this be an alternative for you, because it would allow you to use all the lenses you mentioned above (135 mm incl. Tele-Elmar, Telyt 200/4, Telyt 280/4,8 v.3), in a single compact rapid focus device?

I know it's rare, but its worth running after it.

Sadly, no laborious 'bricolage' ;), just a few simple adaptations!

Alternatively, as you surely know, the head of the Telyt 280/4,8 version 3 is also my favourite for the Televit rapid focusing device (via adapter 14138). (Example: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/nature-wildlife/188303-young-emus-new-headdress-280tt.html). Added value of version 3 in the Televit: A regular close focus limit of below 2 meters!

The Televit, I also use with its specific Telyt heads (400/5,6 and soon the 560/5,6). (Example: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/nature-wildlife/189211-grey-heron-posing-patiently-400tt.html).

Due to its specifications (large diaphragm unit!), the Televit is predestined to become my rapid follow focus system for the REALLY long lenses (past 600 mm), as described above in this thread.

The only thing that I almost never do, is using the Telyts 280/4,8 version 3 (or 2) in their proper focusing helicoids: Too slow (in my eyes) and not suited for 'hand held' photography with shoulder supports which I prefer, at least up to 400 mm.

May I ask for your preferences/experiences with the Telyt 280/4,8 version 3?

All comments welcome!

Best regards,

Telyt2003

Telyt... I do not remember well, but I seem to have read somewhere that the Apo-Extender 1,4 isn't fit for the long 2-elements Telyts 400/560 (while it was for other telecentric long R lenses like the 280/4 & 350 4,8) ; not 100% sure... but better to verify before making some adapter for their usage with Visoflex 2/3...

(...)

Hello Luigi,

thanks for the hint!

Don't worry, I always check a plugged-together optical system vigorously before buying anything, esp. potentially expensive.

With the 1,4x Apo-Extender-R, I experienced (positive) surprises, already several times, so just try it ...

... but it is correct that in most of these cases, the lens elements were close, partly extemely close together (for example when combined with the old Telyt 200/4,5 for use on the Visoflex2/3. Be careful).

BTW, I always try to avoid specific makings (adapters), and take care for full reversability.

So far, I managed with the standard set of M- and R-adapters and rings (M-M, M-R, R-M, R-R, OUBIO, M-M39) for testing and practising.

Please compare here for a few examples (Visoflex2/3 with Apo-Extender-R): http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m8-forum/187110-infinite-possibilities-m8-9-apo-extender.html

There are a few more adapters that would be useful, but are too rare ...

(and for sure, there are the often not so-specific adapters for specific systems - like the Focorapid-adapters).

The only specific adapters which I will probably need to have made, are those modular (optionally shortened) lens head adapters for Pigriff/Pifas (and Televit) that I am proposing ... mostly independent of the use of extenders.

(...) Should it work fine... a 560x1,4=800 onto Televit would be surely a lot more manageable than the monstrous 800 of my previous shot... :o

Oh, yeees!

Your monster is quite exactly what I was referring to when saying that I like "nearly" all telescope-type lenses ;).

Asked a bit more seriously, what are you planning to do with it? (as it is probably not able to mow your lawn ;):D).

Best regards,

Telyt2003