New firmware for M8 is online

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Note when buying/using a card to update Leica specify an SD card NOT SDHC for updates, this dates back to when SDHC cards were enabled. If this does make a difference I obviously don't know, if it would cripple the M8/8.2 I don't want the risk.

Anyone used an SDHC, for the record ?

A Mac does the unzip without asking, the file should be in downloads and just needs a drag and drop onto the SD card.

yes, used an 8gb sandisk sdhc on a macpro. unzip>copied to the card in a cardreader> update as usual>no Problems.

• Like 1

Note when buying/using a card to update Leica specify an SD card NOT SDHC for updates, this dates back to when SDHC cards were enabled. If this does make a difference I obviously don't know, if it would cripple the M8/8.2 I don't want the risk.

Anyone used an SDHC, for the record ?

A Mac does the unzip without asking, the file should be in downloads and just needs a drag and drop onto the SD card.

At first the M8 only could read SD and no SDHC-cards; so if somebody is still using the camera with a low-numbered firmware, an SDHC will not work at all for the update, you must use a SD. Since an earlier firmware-update (was it 2.0 or some before?) the M8 can read SDHC-cards without problems and the update will also work with this sort of cards.

• Like 1

It is funny!! I can't Unzip the file . My computer is MacBook pro. I heard the same story from the people who had trouble with M9 upgrade too. Funny thing is any zipped files can be easily open and it like automatic on Mac but not Leica upgrade firmware. does it mean that we have to buy the unzip code for this upgrade......:cool:

Can some one pelp me please!!!

If you downloaded it using Safari it will already be unzipped. Right click on the file and select 'info'. Does it have a 'UPD extension?

If you downloaded it with Firefox it will not of automatically been unzipped.

Trust me, this is user error not a problem with the file.

You know what you may be right? Some pictures do seem clearer at higher isos? Even my base iso of 160 seems a bit better?!? I cant confirm this but to my eye it does seem clearer. I do hope no noise reduction is being applied to the pics!

I have the same observation, up to ISO 1250 seems to be more clear. less artifacts, less rough grain...

It is funny!! I can't Unzip the file . My computer is MacBook pro. I heard the same story from the people who had trouble with M9 upgrade too. Funny thing is any zipped files can be easily open and it like automatic on Mac but not Leica upgrade firmware. does it mean that we have to buy the unzip code for this upgrade......:cool:

Can some one pelp me please!!!

Just tried on my 2009 MBPro running 10.6.7 no extra zip-handeling software installed. Downloaded the zip to the desktop using firefox. Right clicked on it and selected open, then "Archive utility". And the .upd files was extracted to the desktop. Yesterday on the iMac I just doubleclicked on the zip and it extracted, tried the same on the MB and it works too, provided you click on left part of the multi-touch pad.

Carl

Hi Artz,

Have you really followed the approach

100% charged battery if possible

New Sandisk Card

You formate the card

you go on the Leica website

you download

You unzip the firmware (it's important)

You stick it on your card

... and it's good ! :)

I installed the new firmware and I did some tests

I just took some pictures with a MacroElmar 90mm at ISO 1250 without tripod

It's 10 p.m here

The picture seems clearer

I would have to take more photos of places I know !

Best

Henry

I have the same observation, up to ISO 1250 seems to be more clear. less artifacts, less rough grain...

Yeah I am noticing that now too alot less rough grain, but my question is, Is there any internal noise reduction being applied? and how much? is it so much that we lose quality?

Cyril,

I have no Mac and I can not help you

but on PC there is an "Assistant file extraction"on Windows XP

called the "extraction compressed folder "

This helps you copy files from a compressed file !

I send you a PM

I did some tests this morning with the new firmware

the appearance of the image is much faster(preview) than before

It's almost instantaneous It'is better

and the image is clearer to me

I have SandiskExtreme III card 4 GB

Best

Henry

Thanks Henry for your concern!! It is very helful your answer.I'll try when I have time !!:D:D

One other thing to consider: Just drag and drop the file.

One user reported problems when he cut and pasted instead. Got error messages from the camera that the file wasn't the right type.

Guest Ming Rider

I wrote to Leica Technical Support yesterday regarding the internal optimisation of the Firmware. Here's my question and reply :-

Following the release of the Firmware Update 2.014 for the M8, I was wondering if you could provide a bit more detail about which Internal Processes were Optimised?

-------------

In response to your question, there are no quantifiable examples of a process being optimised, other than the camera as a whole operating faster, smoother and with fewer glitches.

The processes that have been optimised are coding processes, these are running in the cameras CPU and dictate how the camera behaves and operates at a fundamental level, this code has been subtlety changed in the firmware update to remove areas identified over the cameras lifetime as problematic, and introduce new code where it has been deemed necessary by Leica’s electronics technicians.

I hope this answers your question and please feel free to reply with any further query’s you may have.

Thank you.

James Sargent

Client Care Technician

Leica Camera Ltd

------------

So it would seem this is a more far reaching update than first thought. I have to admit that since updating the M8, there is a certain something about it that I can't quite put my finger on. Smoother, more refined, more enjoyable maybe ? For sure the picture quality has improved ??

• Like 12

From taking more pictures with the new firmware, it seems that my shots at F1.2 using the CV Nokton 35mm seem sharper? noise has been much less than before, camera is alot faster as in the preview screen and zooming in. I need to use this more, couple days is not enough.

On Sunday, despite not owning an X1, M8, M9 or S2, I am going to do a step by step screen shot guide to downloading and installing Leica firmware updates.

Every time one is released, there are always people who are confused when told to unzip a file that is already unzipped, or try to double click the *.upd file and then find nothing happens.

I will place these instructions as a sticky at the top of each sub-forum.

• Like 2

On Sunday, despite not owning an X1, M8, M9 or S2, I am going to do a step by step screen shot guide to downloading and installing Leica firmware updates.

Just remember most people don't use Macs, and some people who use Macs don't use Safari (which automatically unzips the firmware - Firefox doesn't)

I have a more than capable assistant (thanks CB), who has already provided all the necessary for Windows 7 users. Windows XP users are on their own ;) Linux users will have already written their own firmware anyway :)

I will download it using the latest versions of Safari, Firefox, Chrome and Opera on the Mac, and will tabulate what happens to the file when it arrives.

• Like 1

I'm disappointed at how ungrateful some people can be. Leica has spent money in developing another new software upgrade for a 4 year old camera that's been superseded twice (3 times if you count the M9-P) and provided it at no charge to everyone.

For once there are no disgruntled cries of "at last they've fixed the <insert function>!" so the new firmware provides betterment to your M8 at no cost. Some might reasonably suggest that this could be seen as an element of the M8's perpetual upgrade program.

Perhaps this will help explain to those who are unhappy with the price of Leica equipment why it merits the premium.

I say "Well done, Leica, and thank you".

Pete.

• Like 18