Palermo in October

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have just booked two Sleazy flights from Gatwick. I bought the last flights cheaper than £37 on the way back. I looked at these last weekend, and they were less than £30.

As the Warner Brothers used to say in the 1970s "Book early!"

• Like 1

Flights booked, Tuesday to Tuesday.

While I was in Palermo in December I stayed in a pleasant and reasonably priced hotel in the Kalsa district, which is in one of the older and more atmospheric parts of the city. I mentioned the One Challenge to the Proprietor and enquired about a discount for a group booking and he was said no problem so please let me know if you're interested and I'll find out what he'll offer.

I'll start a separate thread in a little while with all the arrangements for the One Challenge.

Pete.

• Like 3

This is a bit of a shame. The train is €5.80. A taxi is about €58.00. It doesn't say when the line will be back in business.

RAIL TRAFFIC INTERRUPTED

Due to infrastructure upgrading works, from Monday October 4th, 2010 the train service between the stations of Palermo Centrale and Palermo Notarbartolo will be cancelled.

"Prestia e Comandè" buses (coaches) cost €5 from the airport and run half-hourly to any of 3 local bus hubs at Ferrovia, Libertà and Politeama. The journey time is about 45 minutes to the last stop at Ferrovia (the train station).

Pete.

This is a bit of a shame. The train is €5.80. A taxi is about €58.00. It doesn't say when the line will be back in business.

RAIL TRAFFIC INTERRUPTED

Due to infrastructure upgrading works, from Monday October 4th, 2010 the train service between the stations of Palermo Centrale and Palermo Notarbartolo will be cancelled.
  • Like 1

"Top Tip for accommodation Nr 321"

Book through www.booking.com rather than (as I have generally done in the past) www.expedia.co.uk

With booking.com you pay the bill at the hotel. With Expedia, you pay the bill when you book. Which might be about 6 months in advance...

My wife and I stayed here in 2008. Well located, Steeped in atmosphere. Cheap but has the essentials. Friendly service. Family run.

Orientale Hotel Reviews and Photos, Palermo, Italy - TripAdvisor

Best wishes

Steve

For info, the hotel's in the old city right on the boundary, Via Maqueda, between La Kalsa (Moorish/arabic) and the La Kasr (formerly Turkish and slightly dodgy) districts.

Pete.

Flights booked, Tuesday to Tuesday.

While I was in Palermo in December I stayed in a pleasant and reasonably priced hotel in the Kalsa district, which is in one of the older and more atmospheric parts of the city. I mentioned the One Challenge to the Proprietor and enquired about a discount for a group booking and he was said no problem so please let me know if you're interested and I'll find out what he'll offer.

I'll start a separate thread in a little while with all the arrangements for the One Challenge.

Pete.

Hi Pete, we would certainly be interested in doing a 'group booking' at the hotel. I haven't booked flights yet but intend to in the next week or two. Problem is I've hardly been in the UK so far this year.

Cheers, Tom

• Like 1