M8 and Summicron 40mm f2

graeme_hutton

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The original lens cap is the hood cap # 14191.

To put a red nose to your 40/2 ;) you just need:

- a 39mm UV-IR Leica filter (#13410)

- a Leica hood #12518 dedicated to the 'cron 40/2

- a 37mm rubber ring

- a pin and a die grinder

Works fine with M8 and R-D1. Never used it with the M9 but a thinner rubber ring would be advisable to avoid vignetting presumably.

1. Grind the filter housing of the hood in order to enlarge its inner diameter to 37mm:

34lxqtd

2. Remove the blocking ring of the filter with a pin or same:

34oqgnx

3. Insert the glass into the filter housing:

38paj9m

Hi, i have a 40mm F2 Summicron-c and my Leica M8 is on the way now. I am just wondering which 39mm UV/IR cut filter are you guys using? can you guys show some pictures with the lens and the 39mm UV/IR cut filter on? Is the B+W SCHNEIDER 486 39mm UV IR CUT FILTER will fits on the 40mm Summicron-c? Can anyone also suggest me a lens cap for the 40mm Summicron-c? Thank you.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

The Summicron-C has a 39mm thread but with the wrong pitch, 0.75 instead of 0.5!!

It was meant for the rather rare Series 5.5 filters kept in place by the dedicated rubber sunshadewhich after some years very often broke or deteriorated enough to become useless. As far as I know, there are no Series 5.5 UV/IR-cut filters. I use a normal 39mm filter and carefully screw it in until it stops. You can then use any original Leitz lens hood of the correct size.

Edited by Yogibear
Described lens shade, not lens hood.

hey guys, i got an idea. With the rubber hood pulled up. i am able to fit in a 46mm size filter nicely and firmly inside the rubber hood. Do you guys think it is a good idea to stuck in a 46mm filter there and glue it? will it effect the image quality by moving the UV/IR filter a bit far from the lens? or it will cause some vignetting? Thank you.

hey guys, i got an idea. With the rubber hood pulled up. i am able to fit in a 46mm size filter nicely and firmly inside the rubber hood. Do you guys think it is a good idea to stuck in a 46mm filter there and glue it? will it effect the image quality by moving the UV/IR filter a bit far from the lens? or it will cause some vignetting? Thank you.

No vignetting problem IMO, at least with crop bodies (R-D1, M8) but you would have to glue the filter into the hood, you would get more flare and you could not fold down the hood any more.

• Like 1

I do not understand all this clutch at straws about mounting a UV/IR filter on the Cron-C 40.

I simbly bought a B+W filter and screwed it on the lens untill it gripped and then screwed the hood on the filter. It is still in place after almost two years. Didn't have a single problem with it.

• Like 2

Hi, i got a question, with the M8 and Summicron 40mm F2 lens, if i'm shooting landscape and wanted the image sharp from the front to the back, what aperture and focus should i set to? i'm new to the M8 hope to hear something from you guys. Thank you.

Nic, the Cron 40 is a lens like all the others. I suppose that with an aperture of 5.6 - 8 you will have anything sharp focusing on distant objects.

I'm not a landscape photographer, but looking at some of my pictures I've noticed that even at aperture 4 the Cron 40 gives you quite a good DOF.

• Like 1

I do not understand all this clutch at straws about mounting a UV/IR filter on the Cron-C 40.

I simbly bought a B+W filter and screwed it on the lens untill it gripped and then screwed the hood on the filter. It is still in place after almost two years. Didn't have a single problem with it.

Agree...it is a non issue.

andy

Hi, i got a question, with the M8 and Summicron 40mm F2 lens, if i'm shooting landscape and wanted the image sharp from the front to the back, what aperture and focus should i set to? i'm new to the M8 hope to hear something from you guys. Thank you.

maybe you should read up on the issue of depth of field and aperture...

you can try this for a start: Online Depth of Field Calculator

Hello and welcome to the forum!

The Summicron-C has a 39mm thread but with the wrong pitch, 0.75 instead of 0.5!!

It was meant for the rather rare Series 5.5 filters kept in place by the dedicated rubber sunshadewhich after some years very often broke or deteriorated enough to become useless. As far as I know, there are no Series 5.5 UV/IR-cut filters. I use a normal 39mm filter and carefully screw it in until it stops. You can then use any original Leitz lens hood of the correct size.

B+W make 486 UV IR Cut MRC

Serie 5,5 (36,0 mm)

Foto Huppert sell it. http://www.foto-huppert.de/default2.asp

I thought I posted this before, but now I don't see it here.

DAG offers an inexpensive adapter to use 39mm filters on Summicron-C's.

Then you can screw into the filter either a Chinese-made threaded hood with vents, or one of the snub-nosed hoods for 50 Elmar (still available new). I was surprised to find that the former didn't vignette.

Kirk

• 2 years later...

As a relative newcomer to M- world and also having a family to feed, I am always up for ways to get the best out of it on a budget. Recent aquired a summicron 40mm and am totally smitten with it on M8.

The frameline modification is simple enough to do although one or two things to bear in mind. The brass filings look pretty but WILL get all over your camera and inside if you are not careful.

Wrap your lens up in paper and tape it up so is sealed except for the little flange to operated on. Make sure it is clear of golden speckles before trying it on your camera.

Job done you now have a superb lens configuration and the frame lines are near as damn it!

Leicas are expensive and a deligt to own and handle. I am over the moon with my M8. In these days of all singing all dancing gadget filled cameras, this one takes real photographs and thats it. Also its not an ornament, I got i t to use and use it i will. I like this forum full of tips from photograhers who use their kit and enjoy it.

• Like 1

Hey there ChipChip, I have the 'same/yet different' Rokkor Forty and really enjoy the lens a lot. My big fingers are slowing my adaptation down a bit, but it's worth the effort to build the muscle memories. The picture memories are definitely worth it. I agree abiut the 35mm framelines lining up wonderfully, but I'm terrified to make the adaptation myself. It is really a cost/benefit gem in LeicaLand.

RW