Looking for M9+ New leica 35mm f1.4 Images!

Fotomiguel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm feeling great with my M9+50mm cron. This is my combo for street photography and standar lens. I have the 18mm Super elmar, the 28mm elmarit which I use mostly for landscape photography and the 75mm cron that I use for portraits mostly. I'm feeling really happy with my equipment and can keep on going this way forever. But I feel aswell like a depressed woman who needs to use the credit card and buy new shoes to feel a bit better for a moment. My work is now very hard and I have a "40 years old crisis" So what else that to give a present to my dear M9.

My dealer probably will have a 35mm 1.4 soon. It's a big investment but I'm not sure enough. I would love to see Images shot with the M9 and the new 35 when possible not crop and with no heavy postprocessing. I know that in this forum is not for photos but It would be nice some advises and may be some links.

My two more options as a present for my M9 would be the 135mm 3.4 apo telyt or to do a big travel (China, India, Africa, etc).

Thank you in advance.

Miguel

• Like 1

Yes. Thank you for this good links. This lens seems to play in a superior league. I'm really impressed. After seen all those images I'm confirming that the new 35 is worth price.

Absolutely, I couldn't agree with you more.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My two more options as a present for my M9 would be the 135mm 3.4 apo telyt or to do a big travel (China, India, Africa, etc).

You have enough lenses. Now take the trip and use them to good measure while you still have your health and are able. You'll have plenty of time when you are older to fondle your kit.

• Like 3

You should have bought that 35 Summicron a long time ago. You would have already taken great photos with it, probably not missing a Summilux in the least. Now look at you.:rolleyes::D

Jeff

PS If you're not into the hype and prestige (and don't really need that extra speed), you could save a ton a get a 35 Summarit, which Puts rates more highly than the Summicron...http://www.imx.nl/photo/leica/lenses/lenses/page83.html Just think of the extra delight in making great photos with such a plebian choice...you'll be even more delighted. And, btw, screen images tell you nothing...it's all in the print.

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 2

You have enough lenses. Now take the trip and use them to good measure while you still have your health and are able. You'll have plenty of time when you are older to fondle your kit.
I couldn't agree more. The sex appeal of yet another piece of gear fades after a few weeks. The memories of a trip last much longer.

New 35 Summilux...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Clandrel
New pic
  • Like 1

If you don't have 35mm already and want 35mm, why wouldn't get 1 stop faster, if you can afford it?

Because no lens is perfect, and the faster the lens, the more compromises that have to be made. Size is the obvious one, but certain other aberrations (color edge, flare, etc.) may come into play. (See my link to Puts' review of the Summarit, for example...it's a bit slower than the Summicron, but performs better in certain aspects.) And, each lens tends to have a certain rendering (contrast, bokeh, etc) that may or may not suit one's style or preference.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Because no lens is perfect, and the faster the lens, the more compromises that have to be made. Size is the obvious one, but certain other aberrations (color edge, flare, etc.) may come into play. (See my link to Puts' review of the Summarit, for example...it's a bit slower than the Summicron, but performs better in certain aspects.) And, each lens tends to have a certain rendering (contrast, bokeh, etc) that may or may not suit one's style or preference.

Jeff

Sure new summilux bokeh is different than summicron, there's people who call it "more busy". Sharpness, flare, contrast, color, etc. seems to be fine or under control? So only thing you're "missing" is different bokeh, if you prefer summicron bokeh more?

Yes. Thank you for this good links. This lens seems to play in a superior league. I'm really impressed. After seen all those images I'm confirming that the new 35 is worth price.

I agree, and so have had it on "pre-order" since it was first announced by Leica. :)

Miguel,

you've got already the best equipment money can buy below phase one, hasselblad or s2 or nikon d3x (if you consider that there are 3 or 4 good nikon lenses)...

since i own more or less the same equipment that you have: avoid the expenses for the 1.4/35 Lux new and the 135 mm apo (you are nearing 40, focusing WILL be tough for sure sooner or later) and go traveling and post then your photos here...

I read nearly all serious reviews about the new 1.4/35 'Lux and hoped to find THE standard lens incl. available light for the time being.

Thanx to an outstanding dealer I got my 1.4/35 Lux new 3 weeks ago (now having not enough time to shoot...) . I am not fully convinced with this lens; maybe I will sell it in the near future.

I prefer the 2.8/28 ASPH and the 2/75 cron, I liked both of them the first hour I downloaded the DNGs into Lr 2.7; this IS NOT the case with the 1.4/35 'Lux new...

please find included some less than outstanding pics (lack of time), of course at f=1.4 (you spent tons of money for the 1.4 capabilities!)

after the first pic always full view and crop for details, essentially no PP except Lr output sharpening (i know, normally we should post the DNGs, but we can't do it in this forum).

So once again: i would avoid the additional expenses and go on travels with lots of shooting..

Enjoy your second-to-none equipment & best regards

Axel

• Like 1

Disappointing aspects of the new 35 Summilux would appear to be (a) CA/fringing where in Sean Reid's review it is shown to be inferior to the earlier Summilux lens; (B) rendering of out-of-focus evident in many postings is not greatly appealing.

It would be lovely to see similar shots to those in this thread from Doc_P using the 28 Summicron instead!

Sure new summilux bokeh is different than summicron, there's people who call it "more busy". Sharpness, flare, contrast, color, etc. seems to be fine or under control? So only thing you're "missing" is different bokeh, if you prefer summicron bokeh more?

My comments had nothing to do with my preferences. They related mostly to technical review differences. But frankly I find most discussion about modern Leica lenses quite academic, and not germane to real prints. As a practical matter, virtually all current Leica lenses are plenty good enough to challenge the best of photographers.

No offense to the poster here, but the pic shown in this thread (not the zoomed views) could have been taken by dozens of lenses, using dozens of cameras. IMO each person needs to make their own judgments based on real printed results, at relevant print sizes, for their given style.

Some people need fast lenses. I think that most people...heresy alert...really don't need them; they just want them. And, in the process, they often shoot wide open (because they can, not because they should), and frequently the subject isn't even in focus (intentionally created effects aside). Bokeh frenzy.

I don't begrudge anyone's decision to buy the latest, fastest lens. Hey, some even use them to take wonderful photographs.

Jeff

• Like 1

M9 with 35mm 1.4 asph

• Like 1

Another with the M9 35mm 1.4 asph

• Like 1