LX1 Samples at dpreview.com

freebs

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Feeling better and better about my preorder...

And in fact the person who shot those obviously commutes from the same station as me, I'll have to keep an eye out for someone wielding an X1!

Edited by ottocrat

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A good spectrum of subjects and treatment. Indeed, some interesting subjects. Thanks to all concerned and in particular to Andy Westlake.

I was impressed with the accuracy of close focusing in #22 which also shows the power of isolation with very limited dof. The echinacea in #23 also shows the X1's usefulness within environmental situations. I would have liked to have seen a few samples using manual focus. (Perhaps there were but not mentioned). Noise seems to be well controlled in those images where one might expect to find some. Colours and exposure control are also very good. An enjoyable sequence which inspires confidence in the new camera. Once again, thank you DP Review and OP.

Presumably these are in-camera JPEGs rather than DNG conversions? As such, they are not bad - certainly a cut above digicam standard - but they are still a bit (dare I say?) digital looking. They remind me of the in-camera JPEGs that I would get out of the M8 when sharpening hadn't been 'disabled'.

The lens doesn't have much character at middling apertures although there is some barmy looking bokeh in the flower close-up. Looks promising but I don't think I'll be selling my M9 and 35 Summicron any time soon.

Edited by wattsy

I don't know about you guys, but like what I see. A lot!

Hmmmm... I'd been leaning away from the X1 and more toward a used M8, but this camera very well could fulfill all my digital wants and needs. I'm still primarily a film photographer and only find myslef wanting digital on occassion. The D-Lux 4 wasn't quite to my liking. This just might be my ticket.

Edited by MPJMP

So far, so good. The 35mm ASPH almost never comes off my M7 anyway, so the X1 may indeed signal that its time to go all digital.

I haven't pre-ordered, but i expect they might be generally available by March 2010 or so. Looking forward to a full review from Sean, Reichmann, and Askey among others - people who know what a Leica is and what it should produce in the way of IQ.

Presumably these are in-camera JPEGs rather than DNG conversions? As such, they are not bad - certainly a cut above digicam standard - but they are still a bit (dare I say?) digital looking. They remind me of the in-camera JPEGs that I would get out of the M8 when sharpening hadn't been 'disabled'.

The lens doesn't have much character at middling apertures although there is some barmy looking bokeh in the flower close-up. Looks promising but I don't think I'll be selling my M9 and 35 Summicron any time soon.

I read on dpreview's website that the sample photos are DNG converted with ACR 5

I read on dpreview's website that the sample photos are DNG converted with ACR 5

Yes, it would make sense that they were conversions as the files that I have been downloading from DPR have the files names appended with _acr.

CA seems to well controlled but the bokeh seems to be a bit nervous, just an initial observation...

... and another quote by Andy at Dpreview:

"Conversions are from DNG using default sharpening (which is pretty conservative); WB, brightness, saturation and NR settings were tweaked individually. All of the conversion settings should be visible in the EXIF. ACR doesn't have a specific profile for the X1 yet, so colour can be a little hit-and-miss"

Furrukh

CA seems to well controlled but the bokeh seems to be a bit nervous, just an initial observation...

I just looked at the shot with the close-up of the leaf. Probably the most shallow DoF of any of the photos. Have to agree with you about the bokeh. Not what I'm used to from my M glass on film. But in all fairness better than any other compact digicam I've seen,

The lens and sensor appear outstanding. I was impressed by the quality of the images recorded throughout a wide range of ISO settings. Low-level noise and fine detail at higher ISO values was excellent IMHO. Once the camera is in the capable hands of many excellent photographers from the Forum, I think we will be more than pleasantly surprised by the images they capture with the X1.

Michael

Edited by DrMWRoe