Best place in asia to buy Leica M9/X1 - Singapore, Hong Kong or?

sparkie

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm thinking of going to Singapore in a few weeks and wanted to know what prices were like there and where are the best places to shop. Obviously Hong Kong is another good place to shop for Leica, but is it any cheaper than Singapore?

Would like to hear from any locals on this forum on pricing relative to the UK/europe and which dealers they would recommend. links appreciated. thanks in advance :D

PS I know the X1 probably wont be available till early 2010

Then Cathay Photo in Singapore is the place to go: Cathay Photo | Sharply focused on meeting your needs...

I buy most of my photo gear here. Got the hint from many in the large expat. Norwegian community in Singapore who prefer Cathay Photo to the many other photo shops because of their European style of trading. No agressive pushing, but friendly, low key and efficient - and no extra credit card fees. Cathay Photo is also one of the largest Leica dealers in the Far East. Highly recommended.

Take contact with Sam Jeva at the Marina Square (large shopping market) branch, and say hello from me.

- I gave this advice to a young woman here in Norway. She was going to study in Australia and would 'transit' Singapore and stay for a few days and shop with her girlfriends. She told me later that Sam was so touched by the fact that he was 'recommended'.... - He told me later that it made quite a stir among his colleagues that this 'bus load of beautiful Norwegian women' came and asked for him!

Sam Jeva. A very nice guy who will help you with the sales tax refund papers and to what is a typical good street price for the top photo items.

Have a nice trip!

Edited by Olsen

The prices as released by Schmidt Marketing -- M9: SGD11,388, X1: SGD3,2000; S2/P: SGD37,680/SGD45,680. All prices include 7% GST. If you do not reside in Singapore, you are entitled to GST refund, collectable at the airport, when you leave the country. The paperwork has to be done at the point of purchase though.

Hope that helped! :)

Hi,

These are the recommended or suggested retail prices. You should be able to get some discounts off these prices.

N.S. Ng

htttp:nns555.zenfolio.com

Hi,

These are the recommended or suggested retail prices. You should be able to get some discounts off these prices.

N.S. Ng

htttp:nns555.zenfolio.com

Oh I expect more, quite a fair bit more in fact! ;) But with the first batch, I wouldn't say that everyone will get the discount they are hoping for.

A German company called Schmidt Marketing with regional headquarters in Singapore is responsible for the distribution within Southeast Asia. I'm not sure about Hong Kong, but the official prices in Singapore are

10704 LEICA M9 (Black) 11,388.00

10705 LEICA M9 (Silver) 11,388.00

including tax. Prices in Singapore dollars.

Arrival, they told me, sometime in October. First in Singapore, a week or so later in the other SEA markets.

And I have to add if you buy the camera as a non-resident in Singapore you get the tax refunded, yes, but not the whole amount. Once bought a Mac in Singapore, all I got refunded was some 4% instead of the 7%. Upon my protest they said that's the rule after this and that deduction ...

Edited by BKK dan

Try Tin Cheung Camera (search on the google that name and the price in HK$ was there). I bought my M8 and all my VC lens there. Normally quite cheap there (and sometimes below the web price). Not sure about Man Shing. Good shop but not sure they are cheap?

I went to Hong Kong Leica Main Distributer show room (Schmit?) today and test 4 M9; now reviewing the picture (of the showroom not real life photography). Not sure the improvement is so great that I would rush to get a M9. The sound is still quite loud and very unlike M3 still. Given that I am not in a rush as the sound is a key factor for my dislike of M8 so far. Hence, I think I can wait ... not just for the price but also wait for the real users real feedback.

What is the Singapore price, btw? And normally what shops to go?

from recent experience, tin cheung after sales service is not very good. their website prices are inflated. the owner quoted around 62k for the m9. man shing has a couple of branches in mongkok, not difficult to get to from central but they have no idea when they will have anything. even schmidt, the official distributor for hk says, "maybe in october but not sure" and certainly no idea of the number of m9 units being delivered. there is no sales tax in hk but you would expect to have to pay sales tax on import back to your own country

O'yes, and one thing:

In Singapore, try to get in contact with Chiif! C h i i f C a m e r a s - Home

He has the shop in his own flat outside Singapore senter, at Tampines 260 Street 21 #7-308. That is quite a bit outside the city and you have to know how to use the Singapore MRT (subway), which is easy, cheap and convenient. He gives you a description of how you can get to him on his web site. Call in advance. My advice would be to take the MRT to Tampines and take a taxi from there. - Or, if Chiif could bring the stuff that you find interesting to your hotel. Ask him.

Chiif is 'the' dealer of Voigtländer gear in Singapore, and thus large part of the Far East. A very nice guy.